Bogans - What are they, and what do they look like?

My 14.5 year old son wears boyleg undies with a robe around the house, all the time on the weekend, until one of us insists he get dressed. I tell him "that's how Hugh Heffner started out". He has a quick panic if someone knocks on the door.

Does this make him a bogan? :D

They're so funny sometimes.

My little one was fixated on an old Tshirt that he had forever that was very worn and very small that I eventually hid in his 'mementos' box.

It made me feel like a bogan mum that didn't care how my child dressed :eek:.

Another characteristic, is they'll often be wearing the "good" moccasins when they're down the street, instead of their house mockies.

I only have one pair and they are very old. :) I don't wear them to the shops, however proudly display them out on the footpath/nature strip when putting out and retrieving our bins and if I'm moving my car off the street to park under our carport. They are not reserved for purely in the house use.

I do get stares from two neighbours in particular, who are "big hat and no cattle" people. :rolleyes: .........slaves to brands and big impressions.

It's almost as if their eyes are drawn immediately to my resplendant mocco clad feet, just like magnets.

There is no pleasing some folks :D

I do get stares from two neighbours in particular, who are "big hat and no cattle" people. :rolleyes: .........slaves to brands and big impressions.

It's almost as if their eyes are drawn immediately to my resplendant mocco clad feet, just like magnets.

There is no pleasing some folks :D

Maybe texta in a "nike" tick on each mocco, or D&G. Your aspirational neighbours may even go shopping and try to find some "brand" moccos to keep up with you :D:p.

Maybe texta in a "nike" tick on each mocco, or D&G. Your aspirational neighbours may even go shopping and try to find some "brand" moccos to keep up with you :D:p.

Thanks for the fashion input wylie.

Even better I will put a Chanel logo on them and have my wife sport them down Church Street Brighton and take some video footage. :rolleyes:

On a more enterprising level, we could take that same Chanel footwear to a less salubrious demograhic and start a business selling to the people on the street.

Risk might be getting mugged for the high end mocco's :p

Seriously, bogans are human beings at the end of the day and whoever is honest enough would admit there is probably a little bogan in each of us. Some of my friends are also of that cohort, and I can tell you I prefer their company to the vacuous and ostentatiously indebted consumer fashionista types.

Whilst most of us judge books by their cover and I am guilty of this too, it pays to delve a little before stereotyping as a permanent label. :)

I think this bogan garbage is just that...

After all Ive seen many socialites or wanna be's be the biggest ar$es there is in life, have an uncaring nature towards animals etc...and so called bogans who would give you the shirt off their back...

You should never judge a book by its cover...someone who may look a "bogan" may actually have way more money than you do and be way smarter in fact.

I'd sooner look like a bogan but be cashed up than to look like a social climbing show poney dud and owe the banks a million bucks for rental property that is bordering on sliding in value...

Just because you may have your name on a title of 3-4 properties and owe the bank a fortune doesn't make you any better than anyone else.

Give me a bogan renter who pays their rent on time any day to some hot shot bank johnny who knows how to milk the system with stretching rent payments.

Food for thought...

no doubt about you Winston, your a persistent "tool" matey...You always post negative to anything I say...

if i say labor you will say liberal..if i say black you will say white.........get over yourself please.

love to be working with you in person..you wouldnt last five minutes in the real world buddy.

friggin know all....have a nice day!

You know them when you see them ...

If you don't then you need to wonder if perhaps you is one yourself :)

Ive been called way worse than that name..i dont have a mullet, never have.. but i do wear a flanelete shirt when i go fishing in winter...if that makes me a bogan then so be it..no drama for me..:)

After all Ive seen many socialites or wanna be's be the biggest ar$es there is in life, have an uncaring nature towards animals etc...and so called bogans who would give you the shirt off their back...

You should never judge a book by its cover...someone who may look a "bogan" may actually have way more money than you do and be way smarter in fact.

I'd sooner look like a bogan but be cashed up than to look like a social climbing show poney dud and owe the banks a million bucks for rental property that is bordering on sliding in value...

Just because you may have your name on a title of 3-4 properties and owe the bank a fortune doesn't make you any better than anyone else.

Give me a bogan renter who pays their rent on time any day to some hot shot bank johnny who knows how to milk the system with stretching rent payments.

Food for thought...

Yes, CSC2, nicely said.
Content of character, heart...all that, all people. One wonders how and why the term "bogan" came about? Made someone feel a bit better about themself one day? It's interesting how we judge people to feed our own ego, our self esteem..kudos to you... I think if it can be done.

Pam from boganville.
Such is Life.

Hey csc2.... I am sure that most of this is "tongue in cheek".

I know I try not to judge anyone by what they wear (you should see ME sometimes :D), nor by what they drive. I know a few aspirational couples trying to impress (oh.... the stories I could tell about ONE family we know) but who are laughed at behind their backs, but think everyone is envious :rolleyes:.

let's not get carried away. just because you are a bogan it doesn't mean you have a good heart i.e. the theory is cold hands, warm heart. I have met plenty of bogans that are unsavoury characters

let's not get carried away. just because you are a bogan it doesn't mean you have a good heart i.e. the theory is cold hands, warm heart. I have met plenty of bogans that are unsavoury characters

maybe we could herd up the cold hearted bogans, shove them in a special place and charge money to view them.

New tourist attraction.

**** Me.

Hey csc2.... I am sure that most of this is "tongue in cheek".

No bite yet, I'm disappointed in Winston so far...:)

Put your suit and tie on Winston and come out and argue your case please against the bogans!

I'm yet to see a bogan with two heads so all cant be that bad surely?

Black jeans and an ACDC t-shirt won't hurt you.

I love ACDC don't you?

It would be very courageous of you Winston with your knowledge of R/e and life to do the following, call it a challenge:

Winston do the right thing and help a bogan" personally when you next see them on TV having won a top prize in lotto $$$$$$$...With your wisdom and knowledge of Brisbane, r/e and life in general you could steer them in the right direct towards creating real wealth I''m quite sure?

It would be just terrible to see them renting a property off you and paying dead money for the rest of their lives?

This idea my friend would be perfect for you and would ensure you enter "your" pearly gates of heaven for doing one good deed on S/S.

It may also put you in a more positive mindset when it comes to tenants who maybe disadvantaged, they are not all dogs.

More food for thought my friend.

Enjoy!!

....when people say "moccos", do they mean ugg boots ??

Must be a term not used so much in WA, well I've heard it, but from non westerna austlrians, or from western austrlians repeating a non western australian joke.

As far as I understand, moccasins are one piece leather slip on shows, I've seen some nice expensive Italian ones....dont think they are the sort being spoken of somehow

In Perth, in the 80's, bogans wore DB's

Purple Moccasin.jpg

This is the bogan moccasin. Or the bogecassin.

Back