Bondi or similar for $1 million

Hi all,

I don't currently live in Australia but plan to move back to live at some stage in the future (maybe about 3 years or so). I own a few IPs but am now looking to buy a family home. I am looking in the 1 million price range. I've been looking at Bondi and it looks like you can get an old house that needs work advertised at a bit over that price - obviously you're not getting a beachfront mansion for that. I plan on buying a house with reno potential with at least some sort of yard and good for a young family (no kids at present).

Does anyone know the Bondi area well? Alternatively, are there any other areas that people know of (maybe even Norther suburbs) which have a similar feel, but offering better value for money?
Incidentally i have never actually lived in Bondi, so i look forward to getting some responces from people who live there, how they like it, and feedback on alternatives.

Cheers.

If you want a big House with a decent yard but still not to far from the City or the beaches (Northern) you could also consider the North Shore? Maybe somewhere like Pymble, Killara or Wahroonga? 1m should by you something decent there I would think. At least it would get you something that requires a bit of love. Just a thought.

I am looking in the 1 million price range. I've been looking at Bondi and it looks like you can get an old house that needs work advertised at a bit over that price - obviously you're not getting a beachfront mansion for that. I plan on buying a house with reno potential with at least some sort of yard and good for a young family (no kids at present).
Does anyone know the Bondi area well? Alternatively, are there any other areas that people know of (maybe even Norther suburbs) which have a similar feel, but offering better value for money?

Well Taxhaven,

We work in Bondi and other Northern beachside suburbs a lot. IMHO you can't really go wrong being close to the surf in any city but especially a city like Sydney.

Prices (median) in Bondi have moved up in the last 2 years - see attached graph (source: Domain & Australian Property Monitors). It has a good long term trend of over 11% CG. Although the median price in Bondi is $1.36M at present for around $1M you can still get into the housing market.

It really depends on many factors: If you want your kids to grow up near the beach, where you need to get to work to when you are back in Au etc etc.

Like Red Car said there are many nice green leafy good suburbs on SYD's North Shore - just depends on the water proximity you are after.

Attachments

• bondi.jpg
    bondi.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
We work in Bondi and other Northern beachside suburbs a lot. IMHO you can't really go wrong being close to the surf in any city but especially a city like Sydney.
Hi Propertunity,

What sort of work? I'm a Northern Beaches guy looking to do a development in the new year and am always on the lookout for potential team members.

Cheers,
Michael

What sort of work? I'm a Northern Beaches guy looking to do a development in the new year and am always on the lookout for potential team members.Michael

Hi Michael,

As my signature suggests - we are Buyers' Agents and locate, evaluate & negotiate property purchases - if you call that "work" - I really love it. :D

Bondi has a lot of backpackers, so has Coogee, go somewhere in between -Clovelly/Bronte. More locals, less crime, nicer feel to the place.

If you want a big House with a decent yard but still not to far from the City or the beaches (Northern) you could also consider the North Shore? Maybe somewhere like Pymble, Killara or Wahroonga? 1m should by you something decent there I would think. At least it would get you something that requires a bit of love. Just a thought.

Mate, Bondi for sure. Why would you want to go up the Northern Beaches or worse still North Shore. It is so boring up that way and so far away from the action. The East side is much better and check out the Shire like Oyster Bay and Jannali areas. Some very nice and affordable homes down there.... :)

Mate, Bondi for sure. Why would you want to go up the Northern Beaches or worse still North Shore. It is so boring up that way and so far away from the action. The East side is much better and check out the Shire like Oyster Bay and Jannali areas. Some very nice and affordable homes down there.... :)

Heh, my suggestion was more based on the requirements that Taxhaven mentioned. The areas mentioned are not necessarily where i would buy. We all know the best part of Sydney is the lower North Shore/ Northern Beaches :)

However now you have made me think about it I cant understand the desire to live in Bondi or its surrounding suburbs. To me it is dirty, cramped, congested, crowded and every second person there seems to want to kick your head in! The "action" that can be found there is not for me thanks.

Oh Plus their Gelato tastes like poo. ;)

I know a family that lived in Bondi. About a 15 minutes walk to the beach. Small two bedroom house. The parking problems eventually got to them. Plus the backpackers. And the realisation that they didn't go to the beach as often as they did when they first moved there. So they sold their little semi and bought a freestanding place in the inner west with four bedrooms and a decent yard and had money left over.
Scott

It is the worse part of Syd to live in. ie. everyone please go away and leave my back yard alone.. :)
What he said! Stay away, at least long enough for me to really round out my IP portfolio with some blue chip assets, then feel free to come join me and ratchet up my portfolio value! :D

Cheers,
Michael

I lived in Bondi for 6 months over summer a coupla years back. Bondi Rd is a bottleneck, backpackers have parties on weeknights at 2am, parking is tough. That said, the beach is brilliant and the cafe's a treat.

If I was in the market though for eastern suburbs houses - Bronte all the way, baby.

Back