Boom or Bust Poll

In 3 years the average house will be xx% of todays value

• -50% ( A $400K house will be worth $200K)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • -30% ( A $400K house will be worth $280K)

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • -20% ( A $400K house will be worth $320K)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • -10% ( A $400K house will be worth $360K)

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • 0% ( A $400K house will be worth $400K)

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • +10% ( A $400K house will be worth $440K)

Votes: 16 36.4%
  • +20% (A $400K house will be worth $480K)

Votes: 12 27.3%
  • +30% (A $400K house will be worth $520K)

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • +50% (A $400K house will be worth $600K)

Votes: 1 2.3%

• Total voters
I hope you have all read the boom and bust articles in the newspapers / magazines / TV / Web etc. etc.

Think about what you think will most likely happen over next 3 years.

"On the 02-Jun-2006, the Average 3 Bedroom, freestanding house, in an average suburbs in Australian cities with a population of over 1 Million will be xx% of 02-Jun-2003 price"

If you want to quibble about inflationary effects then include CPI prices into your estimate ie. if you guess CPI will be 3%pa then you would need to include 9.1% of "natural" growth

(Yes I know there is a pandora's box of market segments in market segments, cycles for different cities etc. etc.)

The real question for investors is "How ready are you for any of these alternatives, how can I make any of these alternatives work in my advantage"

Last edited:
So then, who's handy with a crysal ball? :cool:

(BTW l reckon up 10% based on interest rate policy and seat of the pants feel)

in my area the average increase over the past 25 years has been 6 %/year.

that does not mean it will go up by 6% every year, - some more, some less.

Even the Best people at technical analysis in shares don't try to predict the future . They work on the current senario and the probabliities of what the market is going to do at that stage.

I think that the property market is more predictable, and you can look at previous figures and guestimate what price changes will happen in a particular area in a current cycle , but where it will be in three years time is purely a guess.

see change

Last edited:
Wow, people are much more bullish than I guessed reading all the doom and gloom!

By buying a little smarter, adding some value etc. I guess the above average investor could add another 20% at least to the average gains.

Back