Bore water versus tank water?

Does anyone have an idea of how much difference having bore water against having tank water would make to the value of a property?

Also are there any good ways about finding out whether bore water is available on a property without actually drilling the hole?

Hiya Braddon,

Not sure about the value, it would depend on whether the bore was potable (drinkable) water, and to what extent. (Is it drinkable by animals, or ppl...)

Bore water is generally full of minerals and not really good for drinking, but can certainly be used for things like the garden or flushing toilets.

Tank water is obviously restricted to how much rain fall you can catch...

Bore water is very useful, I'd rate it above HAVING a tank, but not above rainfall levels.

ie:

Best: Rainfall (ie: the ABILITY to fill a tank)
second: Bore (preferably drinkable, and with consistent flow)
Third: Tank on the property.

hope this helps...

asy :D

Last edited:
Very useful thanks. So tank water itself is better than bore water but in areas prone to drought, bore water is important because tank water might not hold up during these times.

The property next to the property I'm interested in has a huge bore but its at a point much lower down than my property. I'm hoping that means mine is going to have bore potential too if I drill far enough. Not sure I want to pay to get one of those water diviners out there though to run their magic wires over it ;)

Hi Braddon,

Why not go and ask the neighbours what the bore water is like?

Whenever I have seen bore water it has always had a rather bad odour and taste, definitely not something that I would use in my house.

We used it in the "loo" when I was a kid and I am not sure what smelt the worst :)

We also found it corroded the metal pipes, we had to replace them after 5 years, fortunately the pipes ran along the outside of the rear wall of the house.

When used on the garden, if it sprays on a wall or path regularly, it almost always stains that surface a brown colour.

Most people I know without "town water" use a couple of large rain water tanks with a pressure pump for internal water usage.

Hiya,
I happen to come from a long line of water diviners and I can- from family experience- vouch for their soundness and effectiveness. An aunty of mine (no longer in the business)had a 10/10 strike rate in divining spots for her neighbours to sink bores and was- naturally, sought after in the district.
I recommend asking the locals who around the place has been successful at divining and I'm sure the advice will be forthcoming. I wouldn't sniff at paying the fee as they rarely charge much for their skills- to skeptics however, its difficult to believe it works- but it does. Ask any bore driller and they will tell you many amazing stories of how it works.
In any case, if your neighbour has a successful bore, its usually the case that your property is adjoining a sound artesian basin and you could easily get more scientific advice about where to attempt to drill.
Best of luck

Hi all,

Braddon,

I would go to the local water resources department and see if they had any detailed maps as to aquifiers in the area. They could give you an indication as to how deep you may have to drill.
If there is water under your neighbours, then there is a good chance of having it too, unless there is a fault line between you and a dramatic change of geology.

We are on tank water, and have dams as well, which we use for gardens and toilet. If your tank does run out then you can just buy water in. If you are renting the house out, the cost of purchasing extra water if needed is borne by the tenant.

Bridie,

water divining!!, next we will have to get out the ouija board, form a circle ,hold hands, and ask the spirits(bundy for me) where we should next invest!!!

bye

bye

Originally posted by Bill.L
next we will have to get out the ouija board, form a circle ,hold hands, and ask the spirits(bundy for me) where we should next invest!!!

Bill,

Isn't this how you've been selecting property for the last few years?

Personally I prefer darts though :D

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Back