Brahma Lodge, Adelaide

Hi Folks,
Any thoughts on buying in the suburb of Brahma Lodge?
I have a 2-year old IP in Parafield Gardens in one of the streets with mostly new properties and have been thinking about buying something similar in Brahma Lodge...just trying to get a feel for the suburb (reputation, possible future developments etc) as I'm from interstate. I've searched the forum but BL doesn't rate much (if any?) of a mention. My guess would be that it's quite similar to Parafield Gardens and some of the Salisbury suburbs - could any of the locals contribute their knowledge? Thanks very much. :)

Last edited:
Anything property in particular you are looking at?
You can certainly get a fair bit for your money there at the moment.
3x2x1s for $270k and $250/week rent. Nearly positive.

Interested to hear in peoples opinion of the area in terms of security though.

Hi Futurefund,

Brahama Lodge is a strange one, I've been looking at this suburb for a while as years ago when I was a Postie and had this suburb as a round for a while, so have always kept an eye on it, and lately have been trying to work it out as it still seems relatively cheap.

I know all the houses dont present that well and it's has a bit of a bad name for a while, but so have alot of other suburbs that have become good performers. Location wise i believe it's really good, you have good access to main north road, the Holden's factory & Salisbury shopping Centre. And your right it's not a big suburb (which I believe is always good), the blocks are big, it's flat, there are quite a few nice houses in and around Brahma Lodge because now there is alot of disposable income in the area as alot of the owners have lived their for years, if not still the original owners. I believe it's a suburb that is undervalued.

If my strategy was to buy old houses less than $300,000 with the potential to subdivide in the future, I would look to buy here. The City of Salisbury have a good planning department and overall are quite easy to deal with when it comes to eventually subdividing your land.

Thanks Gools and eKwatee for your quick responses. I had actually been thinking of a new property on a small block (very low maintenance) rather than an older property on a large block but I'm just in the early days of looking at this area.
eg. There is a property advertised here for $279K but it is not due for completion until May '09, agent advised that rent could be in the $270 - $290 p/w range:
http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bi...er=&cc=&c=61809142&s=sa&snf=rbs&tm=1229582078

Come on, everywhere is ok as long as the price is right.
Blanket statements of "I don't like it...." are just really unhelpfull.
Comments like "It isn't good value because...." are so much more usefull for the OP.

So to FutureFund, just make sure you pay the "right" price (and no more) after having done all your research.

Happy New Year everyone. Looking forward to some interesting times in the lower half of the market this year.

Gools

Back