Adelaide suburban equivalents

Never bought in Adelaide , never been to Adelaide .

my knowledge about adelaide revolves around AFL , the latest being that The swans beat Port adelaide last night :D , though I think the final score flattered the swans .

I do know that elizabeth = Mt Druitt = Logan but that's about the limit of my Adelaide knowledge .

I've just spent a couple of mins on Realestate.com.au , starting with football teams gave me these two properties

Norwood . around 1.6 mill As I looked through that I was thinking how much it would be in various Sydney suburbs . gees it would probably sell for a similar price in Mt Druitt ... well maybe not

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-sa-port adelaide-117314487 . Again if this was in a Port location in Sydney or melb I'd guess 2 mill would be a good price , but around 500 in adelaide .

What I'd love would be some comparables of what parts of adelaide would be equivalent to compared with suburbs in Sydney / Melb .

What are the trendy inner city suburbs ( assuming there are any trendy subrubs in adelaide .....) , what are the upmarket central suburbs , central working class suburbs undergoing , starting to undergo regeneration .

What are the Upper middle class suburbs , what are the sold working class suburbs etc .

Brady , CJay , any comments appreciated

Cliff

I dont know enough about sydney to provide comparisons to that, but heres my thoughts

Trendy inner = unley / norwood

Working class = paralowie, ingle farm

Upper middle class = northeast such as golden grove & modbury, goodwood on the south side

When I lived in SA I started in Henley Beach which is similar to perth's Scarborough. I then moved to Edwardstown which was working class-ish I think.

What are the trendy inner city suburbs ( assuming there are any trendy subrubs in adelaide .....) , what are the upmarket central suburbs , central working class suburbs undergoing , starting to undergo regeneration .

What are the Upper middle class suburbs , what are the sold working class suburbs etc .

In Melbourne and Sydney, you see a gradual transition from high rise to lower density forms of development as you move out from the centre. Throw that idea out the window for Adelaide - the houses and true suburbia start almost immediately after you leave the city centre. Some Sydney suburbs wouldn't have Adelaide equivalents (e.g. Newtown).

The trendy and upmarket suburbs really could overlap one another in Adelaide.

Upmarket suburbs - Gilberton, Medindie, Walkerville, Mitcham, Springfield

Trendy suburbs - Norwood, Hyde Park, Parkside, Prospect, Glenelg

Gentrifying suburbs - Broadview, Clearview, Nailsworth, Bowden, Thebarton

The solid working class suburbs are aplenty in Adelaide.

In general, the most well regarded suburbs are in the inner east and south, and along the coast.

In Melbourne and Sydney, you see a gradual transition from high rise to lower density forms of development as you move out from the centre. Throw that idea out the window for Adelaide - the houses and true suburbia start almost immediately after you leave the city centre. Some Sydney suburbs wouldn't have Adelaide equivalents (e.g. Newtown).

The trendy and upmarket suburbs really could overlap one another in Adelaide.

Upmarket suburbs - Gilberton, Medindie, Walkerville, Mitcham, Springfield

Trendy suburbs - Norwood, Hyde Park, Parkside, Prospect, Glenelg

Gentrifying suburbs - Broadview, Clearview, Nailsworth, Bowden, Thebarton

The solid working class suburbs are aplenty in Adelaide.

In general, the most well regarded suburbs are in the inner east and south, and along the coast.

Nor has really hit the nail on the head with this one. There is also sub sections of suburbs, where prices can vary 20-30% just due to which side of the street its on. Inner suburb councils are generally packed full of NIMBY's, most medium-high density is outside of the inner ring.

Keep an eye on the taxes related to higher value properties in SA, the stamp duty scales quite high, + land tax will destroy what little cash flow you have quick smart.

Keep an eye on the taxes related to higher value properties in SA, the stamp duty scales quite high, + land tax will destroy what little cash flow you have quick smart.

Hadn't looked at that aspect . One of the attractions about Q'land is having a new threshold for each Trust fund . In NSW it's land tax from $0 for anything in a trust fund .

Just copied this from the revenue SA site.
Up to $316,000 Nil
$316,001 to $579,000 $ 0.50 for every $100 or fractional part of $100 over $316,000
$579,001 to $842,000 $ 1,315.00 plus $1.65 for every $100 or fractional part of $100 over $579,000
$842,001 to $1,052,000 $ 5,654.50 plus $2.40 for every $100 or fractional part of $100 over $842,000
Over $1,052,000 $10,694.50 plus $3.70 for every $100 or fractional part of $100 over $1,052,00

So there is a reasonable tax free threshold.

Is there a site where you can easily see the taxable land values in SA ?

Something in Elizabeth at 200 K , what's the ball park range for land value ?

Cliff

Hadn't looked at that aspect . One of the attractions about Q'land is having a new threshold for each Trust fund . In NSW it's land tax from $0 for anything in a trust fund .

Just copied this from the revenue SA site.
Up to $316,000 Nil
$316,001 to $579,000 $ 0.50 for every $100 or fractional part of $100 over $316,000
$579,001 to $842,000 $ 1,315.00 plus $1.65 for every $100 or fractional part of $100 over $579,000
$842,001 to $1,052,000 $ 5,654.50 plus $2.40 for every $100 or fractional part of $100 over $842,000
Over $1,052,000 $10,694.50 plus $3.70 for every $100 or fractional part of $100 over $1,052,00

So there is a reasonable tax free threshold.

Is there a site where you can easily see the taxable land values in SA ?

Something in Elizabeth at 200 K , what's the ball park range for land value ?

Cliff

Trusts receive the same threshold benefit in SA too - which most clients who buy up big here are using.

Re; taxable land values I haven't seen one before.

Land value for a 200k prop in Eliz can vary between 100-140k depending on land size, location etc.

The threshold itself is fine in SA, but the effective tax % is shocking. At 1M land value in QLD the threshold tax rate is 1.75%, in SA 3.7%. At 1M land holdings in personal name, you would be liable for $9446 per annum.

Trusts receive the same threshold benefit in SA too - which most clients who buy up big here are using.

Re; taxable land values I haven't seen one before.

Land value for a 200k prop in Eliz can vary between 100-140k depending on land size, location etc.

The threshold itself is fine in SA, but the effective tax % is shocking. At 1M land value in QLD the threshold tax rate is 1.75%, in SA 3.7%. At 1M land holdings in personal name, you would be liable for $9446 per annum.

Cjay,

Is there a seperate land tax threshold for each trust fund ?

So if you buy multiple properties and spread them over several trusts you avoid land tax as per q'land .

We've avoided land tax ( except recently in NSW ) by buying in different states or buying in different trust funds .

Cliff

Read and you shall find.

Actually in my post that Cjay quoted , I refer to both the NSW and Q'land treatments of land tax which are different . The SA revenue site doesn't give a clear cut answer so I think my question re clarification is completely reasonable .

I tried to cut and paste the relevant paragraph from the site , but it won't do it on my ipad

http://www.revenuesa.sa.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0014/1454/LTGxx_0514.pdf

Obviously if I were to purchase multiple IP's in SA , we would be using a lawyer over there and would seek further clarification from them .

:)

Cliff

To rephrase for you Cliff,

The thresholds and cents per dollar amounts you pasted a few posts up. They apply to any entity, be it yourself, your wife, your trust, your cat, etc. Meaning you can buy 315k worth in your name, 315k worth in wifes name, 315k in trusts name and pay 0 landtax on any of it.

The same concept as Queensland but with slightly different numbers.

Thanks

Back to the original discussion .

One further question , are there any good solid working class suburbs which are in a geographically advantageous position as is Frankston ( though whether that could be classed as a good working class suburb is debatable ...) , eg near water , or close to more upmarket areas

Cliff

Blair Athol, Edwardstown, Ingle Farm, Highbury.

All depends on what price bracket. Above are for $300-500k

Some would say Christies areas are similar to frangas

My aim is to get an overall feel for Adelaide , rather than specific time frame or price range .

My feeling is Adelaide is in the early stages of the growth cycle so I'm aiming for good growth in the next 3 years , but possibly longer term hold .

Normally we try to buy at the start of the cycle when a market is showing signs of movement , but without a boom , hence we bought in Brisbane late last year and sydney in the 2-3 years before as well as mid last year .

Returns more important than price range . Aiming as close to cash flow neutral , but wouldn't want to buy in the bottom of Elizabeth to get that .

Cliff

Thought I'd contribute here as I get a lot out of the forums and good to give back :)

Upmarket suburbs - Dulwich, rose park, equiv to south yarra/Toorak in Melbourne (in general eastern suburbs more upmarket)

Trendy suburbs - Norwood, Hyde Park, Unley

Gentrifying suburbs -Torrensville, Croydon (but as mentioned above varying pockets in particular suburb)
Mile end and Richmond (beware of flight paths tho in these ones)

Not sure if what you want exists. You want cash flow neutral with good capital growth, close to the city and not Elizabeth area?

I suppose it depends what you mean by cash flow neutral...do you mean so rent covers minimum repayments of 80% of principal +interest loan ?

Back