Brand New House - Phone Connection

I think the above logic is flawed, otherwise it could be argued that if there is a TV connection in the property than the LL should provide a TV as it was reasonably expected!

Jase

I provide my tenants with power points and a garage, paying for the electricity and car is becoming pretty expensive....

On a more serious note the $299 is for cabling work to initially install the phone line. It is like paying $600 for a dishwasher. It is an improvement to the property from which the landlord benefits in the long run.

Who buys a $400k investment property and quibbles about $299. You wouldn't expect the tenant to do the landscaping when your new IP is built so why expect them to get the house cabled???

Crazy..

pulse

Hi Pulse,

the $299 is not actually for cabling. The cabling and trenching is performing before driveways and landscaping is done. That costs about another $300 and would be paid for by the landlord. As are the installation of the phone points (usually done by builder)

The $299 is a fee charged by the phone company to flick a switch or two. They charge it because they can. Further, if the phone is connected and then a future tenant chooses not to connect the landline for some time then the phone company will charge the fee again. Should the landlord pay each time this happens?

I'm stunned! :eek:

I just looked at the TUV document, and yes, even connection fees are payable entirely by the tenant. I think this is wrong unless there is a disclosure required by the landlord. However, the law is the law.

I think the above logic is flawed, otherwise it could be argued that if there is a TV connection in the property than the LL should provide a TV as it was reasonably expected!

Jase

Actually Jase, thats not correct. Its a fair leap of faith to assume this. Maybe if I provide a garage, I should buy them a car as well.

Well, we have just settled on a new property and our PM has suggested that we are expected to pay the $250 for the initial installation!

Back