Brick or weatherboard exterior?

Hi... im thinking of buying an IP and found a nice place in my budget - its going to be between $240-$260k... its a weatherboard place - the inside is decent... but the outside I think needs work... all the other houses on the street have a brick exterior.

I would like to add some value to the house so I'm wondering what other people on this forum would do.

1) Paint the exterior and keep the weatherboard look.

2) reclad the exterior to brick

3) other options

I'm also intending to landscape the area - something simple... some shrubs, natives mulch, paving.

The place also has a brick chimney. I think this is quite ugly if i choose to keep the weatherboards - what should i do?

Also it is a 3 bedroom, 1 bathroom single storey house - what are the likely costs for the above options?

Thanks.

Also I am just starting out with renovation - never did anything b4 - so will need easy solutions to get me going.

The place also has a brick chimney. I think this is quite ugly if i choose to keep the weatherboards - what should i do?

Well, I have never seen a weatherboard chimney.... :D

Leave the house weatherboard - bit of fill and paint. Easy enough to replce rotten boards as you go.

Cheers,

The Y-man

Hi... im thinking of buying an IP and found a nice place in my budget - its going to be between $240-$260k... its a weatherboard place - the inside is decent... but the outside I think needs work...
Tenants are more fussy about the inside than outside

I would like to add some value to the house so I'm wondering what other people on this forum would do.

Yes that's what I would do

sounds nice but the footings will have to be hand dug because of the proximity to the building.

I'm also intending to landscape the area - something simple... some shrubs, natives mulch, paving.
Thats a good move.

If the chimney is no longer in service, it could be removed, but then you would have to replace and match weatherboards to make it look right.

Also it is a 3 bedroom, 1 bathroom single storey house - what are the likely costs for the above options?
You would need to decide how your going to proceed, then get some "ballpark" quotes.

Thanks.

Also I am just starting out with renovation - never did anything b4 - so will need easy solutions to get me going.[/QUOTE]

Hi... im thinking of buying an IP and found a nice place in my budget - its going to be between $240-$260k
OK - good.

... its a weatherboard place - the inside is decent... but the outside I think needs work... all the other houses on the street have a brick exterior.
So yours will probably always be worth a little less than the other houses in the street (brick generally is worth more). This is good as they tend to 'drag up' the value of yours :)

Yes

NO. It will never be a brick house. & also not worth the $'s IMO.

3) other options
You could nail blue board over it and render it. Would I do it? Probably not - but you could if you wanted.

Good - but this is not a huge 'value-adding' exercise. Use drought tollerant everything.

You could leave it alone, render it and paint it the same colour as you chose for the house, paint it in Dulux render effects in the same colour as the house ?

Paint it yourself with $300 worth of good quality exterior paint.
Hire a Dulux colour consultant for 2 hours to pick colours for you = $220 approx

Also I am just starting out with renovation - never did anything b4 - so will need easy solutions to get me going.
recladding the exterior in brick was not an 'easy solution'

Do some stuff inside:
Kitchen
Stainless steel appliances
Bathroom
Timberlook floor
New carpets
Light filltings & switches
Door handles
Window treatments
BIRs
A/Con or ceiling fans

Enjoy it here - welcome :)

hi all

loved the weatherboard chimney comment y-man - not exactly what i had in mind!!!

painting might be the way to go then... i wasnt sure if it would attract buyers if it was the only weatherboard place on the street... maybe some people dont want to be seen as the odd one out?

any ideas how much it would cost to paint the roof? - is it something I can do myself or better to get someone to do it?

and if im selling it after renovations - should i still get a structural check when im buying the property?? would be about $500/$1000?

thanks for the extra suggestions propertunity - will definitely think about adding that sort of stuff.

Why on earth would you want to paint a roof unless its just for a quick sale?

They invariably peel, and it always looks like you are trying to hide rust. And when it does rust, it rusts under the paint and you don't know. And if it is a tiled roof, best to clean it and fill in all the gaps and stuff properly before you paint it.

Please don't clad with brick.

The proportions are usually all wrong. It was all the rage in Qld about 20 years ago and the result was usually a real mish-mash. Usually the windows were all wrong and the house had been built on stumps so looked too "tall" to be brick originally. Even worse if they used "brick-look" cladding.

Now of course these houses are being stripped of the bricks to bring them back to their original weatherboards.
Marg

Back