Brisbane - Anectdotal Evidence of Market Changes

My budget is around $350K, I am looking for well located inner city units, trendy areas in Brissy. If I could pick up a couple (2) cheap enough I think its worth a punt if the market is moving and holding fees should be low.

This is the strategy I finally have decided on! Ive been thinking units for a few weeks now along with another idea and made up my mind after talking with some BA's. I'm glad I have a focus now.

Im looking for a 2 bed unit 3-5 km from the cbd in the mid to high $300's that I can renovate. Because I won't be organising the reno it will eat into my profits a bit but I don't mind as I should see a bit of equity gain anyhow along with a higher rent. I may buy first then a year later add some value by renovating or renovate straight away.

The other option I'm tossing up is to buy something that is already renovated in the low to mid $400's.

Let's hope it gets to that stage in Brisbane after we're all in. I bought a unit in Sydney this time last year and found that to be the perfect time to jump in, prices hadn't risen substantially yet but listings were very tight and you could tell it was ready to pop any time soon. I don't think Brisbane is quite there yet.

You wouldn't want to leave it too long. I've set myself a deadline to buy something no later than July. I just have this gut feeling now is the time to get in. You want to be there right from the start of the growth! According to some BA's I spoke to 6 months ago is when a lot of buyer activity started happening.

Suburbs like Woolloongabba, East Brisbane, Hawthorne, Coorparoo, Greenslopes, Holland Park are all hot and properties going under offer as soon as they are listed.
Do you think you could post the links to the properties that you are talking about,if one was to take a drive around those areas there seems to be a bucket load of rentals with for lease signs,some with the signs up over 6 weeks,..imho..

Do you think you could post the links to the properties that you are talking about,if one was to take a drive around those areas there seems to be a bucket load of rentals with for lease signs,some with the signs up over 6 weeks,..imho..

My sister had her 3x1 house At Holland Park West appraised by re agent this week. He appraised at low-mid $500,000 and said it is in high demand, would sell straight away. About 650sqm block, close to land value.

My budget is around $350K, I am looking for well located inner city units, trendy areas in Brissy. If I could pick up a couple (2) cheap enough I think its worth a punt if the market is moving and holding fees should be low.

Quite many in Clayfield. I looked at a block but you still can get decent stock at 3kms into CBD, I think.

Thanks for the link as I just noticed a sale on one IP in the same street as mine in Carina! I must say it sold for more than I estimated my IP in my portfolio, so perhaps time for a review!:)
So based on that sale alone I could pull out additional $40K since my refinance to 80% LVR 14 months ago. So the market has moved in some areas and that's a fact (whatever people say) based on my data!

Quite many in Clayfield. I looked at a block but you still can get decent stock at 3kms into CBD, I think.

Thanks for this.

I only want properties that are cash flow or neutral from day 1, unless they are development properties.

Sash
You mentioned this area, had a quick look, you either purchased very well or I have the wrong area, in the main 2 bedders are over $300K

I did find one, only cheapie
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-unit-qld-annerley-115865303

I looked at it...has pontential but the tenants can be rough....decided against it.

I managed to buy 3br house on bracken ridge last year.
300k rent for 360/week.
Just near bald hills station
So far so good from what I can see on domain/realestate.com.au

What d
o people think of Zillmere?
Dodgy area or up and coming?

I would says it's up and coming. Did have bad image but most areas now ok. I've had property west of station for over 10 years. Never had a problem, property increased in value by at least 50% with a lot more to come.

We bought in Nundah in 2010. Back then there were similar thoughts of things moving...but last time I checked (was up in Brissie early last year), not much had moved in Nundah.

Talking about 2 bedder units.

Can anyone on the ground up there update on Nundah?

Great buy!!!....very hard to get in at that price...and near the station even better!

I managed to buy 3br house on bracken ridge last year.
300k rent for 360/week.
Just near bald hills station
So far so good from what I can see on domain/realestate.com.au

Check the flood maps. And it's in the low lying housing commission section.

No flood issue. Thanks for the info regarding the housing commission area though, where are they exactly? I had a quick check on pricefinder and this street seems to be all owner-occupiers.

Have only recently started looking at Bracken Ridge so this is all quite helpful.

No flood issue. Thanks for the info regarding the housing commission area though, were are they exactly. I had a quick check on pricefinder and this street seems to be all owner-occupiers.

I'm happy to be wrong on this, but I always thought the "housing commission" areas where there are streets full of little timber houses that scream "housing commission" have often been bought by the people who were renting them, or been sold. I don't think many of them are owned by the housing commission any more.

I'm happy to be wrong on this, but I always thought the "housing commission" areas where there are streets full of little timber houses that scream "housing commission" have often been bought by the people who were renting them, or been sold. I don't think many of them are owned by the housing commission any more.

You could be right wylie and if that's the case I don't think I would mind too much. Personally, I'm more concerned about HC renters who don't take any pride/responsibility for the properties, less likely to be the case if they actually own the houses.

Back