BRISBANE: Best Bayside suburb for PPOR?

Hey,

We are looking for a PPOR to purchase, and we are really set on buying close to the water, with a good CG outlook over the next 5 - 10 years.

I have been scoping out the redcliffe peninsula but really surprised at the amount of house you get for the $$$ (Not Much). I understand the rail link will be completed in a couple of years however a 1hr commute might not work for us.

We have about $650k to play with and looking for a large 5 bedder.

I was actually in the area on Tuesday just past as i had recently bought a property in Sandgate unseen and wanted to check the property out and the surrounding area. This was my first visit to the area as I live in Sydney.

My thoughts

Sandgate: A sleepy little town with all the decent amenities, banks, train station. It does however seem stuck somewhere in the 70s-80s. Walking the town centre it does seem somewhat like a retirement village. If the big development comes i think it could likely boom. You should find a be able to find a 500sqm vacant block for about 300k and if you wanted to build a 5BR house i am sure you could get a queenslander style home on the block (however this wouldn't be a premium finish)

Redcliffe: This seemed to be a little more progressive. The demographic was much younger and had more of a bustling scene around the city centre. There were also more higher density areas. It is also cheaper than Sandgate and I'm sure you would be able to find a 5BR house on a decent block within your budget. I think Redcliffe has quite a bit of potential as it is building from a lower median value base. The train line ends at Kippa Ring which also takes a 60min ride to Brissy. I do think that over tim Redcliffe will be the regional centre for the are (it probably already is)

Anyway hope this info helps as these were my first impressions and I am happy with my purchase decision.

BTW i also opted North Brisbane as my friends and family seemed to have a bias that it was a nicer part of the city. I didn't look anywhere south, however i do know that the southern bayside seems more expensive (Manly, Wynum)

Thanks very much for your input.

I grew up North Side Brissy and always liked Redcliffe/Scarborough area, and especially now being an avid Fisherman.

I own property on the south West side of Brisbane and I understand there is a big divide on perception between Northside, Southside(Logan etc), West Side (Ipswich) and even the South East side (Wynnum, Manly etc).

We purchased in 2009 on the West side given it is only a half hour commute to the city by train or car, compared to the 1hr+ for anything on the North Side that we could afford $300k at the time.

My thoughts on Redcliffe probably come from my younger days where the demographic is very young and can be rough at times along Anzac Ave on a Friday or Saturday night. But then you go to the "Pride" of Peninsula Scarborough and it is a completely different story. Much more upper class.

What sort of gains for the area could be a good estimate after the completion of the rail line?

I dont know much about South of Redcliffe so thanks for your input that certainly helps put it into perspective.

I'm pretty happy with an IP I have in Wynnum. Its a house I had built and was completed in Jan 2013, with a total cost of 470K. Just last month I had a valuation done to see if I could extract some equity for a deposit on another property and was pleasantly surprised with an additional available equity of 66k with the house revalued at $540k.

I'd like to buy another in the area, but I think prices have moved a fair bit in the last year.

I'm pretty happy with an IP I have in Wynnum. Its a house I had built and was completed in Jan 2013, with a total cost of 470K. Just last month I had a valuation done to see if I could extract some equity for a deposit on another property and was pleasantly surprised with an additional available equity of 66k with the house revalued at $540k.

I'd like to buy another in the area, but I think prices have moved a fair bit in the last year.

Congrats on the IP mate.

May I ask, how much did the build cost? Looking for an indicative guide in order to price up and compare Building VS buying pre-existing

The build was 240k. The block was ~400 sqm and the house was right on ~200sqm, ie lowset, 3 bed + study(4th bed), double garage etc.

Yer they are absolutely beautiful to drive around. A fair bit of wealth round there too I'd have to imagine with all the bay views etc.

For us it would be just that bit too far of a commute to the city every day.

Yer they are absolutely beautiful to drive around. A fair bit of wealth round there too I'd have to imagine with all the bay views etc.

For us it would be just that bit too far of a commute to the city every day.

What do you, or people in general find the absolute limit for a commute?

i.e. Anything over a 30min train trip to Central?

My take (as a Bayside local)

Manly: the 'blue riband' suburb. Plenty of very nice $1m+++ houses with views of the bay, and most other houses are well kept and relatively high value. You've got the marina, farmers markets, cafes, etc all along the water. Plenty of Range Rovers parked around the place, it's a fairly high income/white collar suburb, full of wealthy families or well-off empty nesters.

Wynnum: patchy - towards the water & around the golf course there are some beautiful homes and it's similar to Manly (high income), west of Wynnum Rd and near the train line it's more blue collar and a bit bogan. Plenty of value to be had in the right area, and there is a LOT of development going on right now so I'd expect the lower incomes to leave. Fundamentals are good - 15km from the city, good transport, shops nearby, etc. Influx of younger families/couples moving into the area. I don't think there would be another suburb in Brisbane with a wider spread of house prices: you could buy a shitbox on the train line for $350k, or a palatial mansion on the esplanade for $3m+.

Lota: east of Manly. Bit of an untapped resource - plenty of nice houses around here and cheaper than Manly. Similar to Wynnum in it's patchiness though.

Wello Point: beautiful suburb, established families & heaps of South Africans/English immigrants. Nice big low set houses on big blocks are the standard. Nice string of restaurants on Main St, Jaipur Palace does the best curry in Brisbane I reckon (should please the Poms)! Good schools, transport. Bit further out from the CBD though so the commute is a bit tougher than Wynnum/Manly. Has a really nice feel.

Ormiston: similar to Wello Pt.

Cleveland: a bit patchy. Some amazing houses near the water, some less so further out.

I reckon Wynnum/Manly is the go: you're 15km from the city (it's a 25min trip in peak hour over the bridge), 20min from the airport, 5min from the gateway to get to the Gold Coast, you've got good transport, near cinemas, near the water, and you can still get a lot of house for the money. I'm building near the golf course at the moment and just in my street there are four more houses that will be built soon (knock down rebuilds). Neighbouring streets there are another four I think, and prices are very much on the move.

Are Manly and Wynnum safe though? I checked, quite a lot assaults and drug offences.

Of course they are, it's an average middle class suburb. Lived in the area for 7 years and never had an issue with anything, ever. Not even a loud party. I think on about 3 occasions we had a couple of drunk blokes walking home from the pub up our street who were talking quite loudly.

If you are looking at crimemap.info, everything looks scary...you'd swear Ascot was an assault-ridden crack den if you went by that.

Attachments

• Crime rate.jpg
    Crime rate.jpg
    289.1 KB · Views: 128
That looks like bollocks to me sorry.

If that is absolute numbers, then there were more crimes in Graceville, Chelmer etc.

What Tremolo said. The crack is sweet in Ascot.

Back