Brisbane flood areas

Hi All,

I've been contemplating purchasing an IP in Brisbane for a while now but couldn't get over the fear of the flood that happened in 2011. How do you mitigate the risk? Is having a well covered insurance enough ?

Please share.

Many thanks.

Last edited:
You should probably turn on the news!

I will be amazed if any property in flood prone areas in Brisbane is insurable after a 2nd major flood event in 2 years.

Hello Red Apple. Do you think you might be a little insensitive atm?

Anyway
don't buy anywhere near a creek or a river! There are flood maps on the council's websites for your perusal.

Think about it. How would you choose where to live in your own town? And no, insurance is useless. Forget it, just buy a house on top of a hill.

Hi Angel,

My apologies, didn't realise I've been a little too insensitive. Thank you for your reminder.

Mod: I would like to delete this thread but cannot find the delete option anywhere. Would you please close this thread for me or provide some instructions on how to do this ?

Thanks

Just curious

Are these floods very unexpected?

For areas such as Logan central etc. how badly flooded are they?
I mean if its just minor, then it won't affect property prices, obviously if it was unexpected, or if most people are unfinished, there might be a flood of damaged or repaired properties coming on toth embarked, or entire suburbs median price changing due to the flood consideration

Just curious

Are these floods very unexpected?

For areas such as Logan central etc. how badly flooded are they?
I mean if its just minor, then it won't affect property prices, obviously if it was unexpected, or if most people are unfinished, there might be a flood of damaged or repaired properties coming on toth embarked, or entire suburbs median price changing due to the flood consideration

two have 2 floods in 2 years is unexpected. They seem to have managed this on better. This rain event is what they planed for. Brisbane needs to get hit with a cyclone type even every 20 years or so to fill the dams. what happened 2 years ago was unexpected - Just the ferocity and suddenness of it all. Those that went/will go under again have my deepest sympathy but this is the event Wyvenhoe was planned for

Hi All,

I've been contemplating purchasing an IP in Brisbane for a while now but couldn't get over the fear of the flood that happened in 2011. How do you mitigate the risk? Is having a well covered insurance enough ?

Please share.

Many thanks.
I would say avoid any issues with flood or overland flow in the first place.

One agency network in Brisbane that takes 800-900 buyer phone enquiries a week had 1400 last week, so apart from the negative press yet again it's likely shaping up as a much improved year, will see in a few months time what the latest is!

These maps may help
from 2011
Brisbane City Council adopted a new interim flood level since the January 2011 floods that applies to the land affected by the Brisbane River flooding as well as waterway and creek flooding. Temporary Local Planning Instrument (TLPI) 01/12 - Brisbane Interim Flood Response is effective for 12 months and are supported by two sets of maps. The interim flood standard will be applied to new residential developments and will guide the location of essential services in new residential and commercial buildings in flood affected areas

for 2013
These maps were generated with information that was available yesterday morning and the maps show what the expected peak river flooding level which is predicted for 11 am on Tuesday 29 January 2013 at the City Gauge.

These maps show the predicted inundation extents based on the latest forecast peak discharge (as supplied by the Bureau of Meteorology) in the Brisbane River of 4000 cubic metres/second at City Gauge.

If your property or location is located in a blue shaded area, it signifies that there will be probable flooding around 11 am on Tuesday (pending weather conditions flooding could happen earlier). If your property or location is upstream of the City the flooding could occur earlier than 11am.

Not unexpected

Floods in Brisbane are not unexpected. 2011 was a shocker, but today is a regular event.

Brisbane council has a website, where you type in the address and it tells you the flood levels (along with there frequency.)
http://flood.brisbane.qld.gov.au

You then need to compare that with the property heights. Which you can get from:
http://pdonline.brisbane.qld.gov.au (Interactive Mapping).

Not that hard to check what the flood levels are, and to avoid them.

Just remember all floods behave differently.

1974 was very different to 2011. Some areas were worse affected and some less. In 1974 the rain fell mostly over the Somerset catchment area, in 2011 it was more over the city.
Marg

Back