Brisbane's northside

From the PRD research Brisbane Hotspot article about Bracken Ridge.

Bracken Ridge (Houses)
Approx distance from CBD 19km
Median house price:$410,000

This northern Brisbane suburb is eagerly anticipating the opening of the Northern Busway, which will open this affordable suburb to a faster commute of only 25 mins into the Brisbane CBD. Add to this a railway line, easy access to the Gateway Motorway and in close proximity to the Brisbane International Airport, Bracken Ridge becomes an appealing suburb with a multitude of accessibility options and employment nodes. Demand should increase in this suburb for families that crave outdoor living and are priced out of the unaffordable inner city.

Other inclusions are Chermside (House & units), South Brisbane (Units), Annerley (House & units), Fortitude Valley (Units), Hemmant (Houses), Indooroopilly (Units), Cannon Hill (Houses), Woolloongabba (House & Units), Red Hill (House & Units)

They mention infrastructure (especially transport infrastructure) and a 'solid source of demand' as some of their selection criteria.

All good reading to increase your knowledge base I find, though I take all of these lists with a grain of salt, and some from certain oft quoted sources with a whole shaker of salt.

Available from their website with free registration.
Link to PRD Research

If you are buying for long term, then Bracken Ridge may be the way to go. I tip that when the busway gets closer or becomes well known that the suburb will skyrocket.

There is no guarantee that the overpass will be built the way the State government is funding such developments. Funding won't be looked at until at least 2015.

I agree with Urban Cowboy that things won't slow in the lower end of the market due to the re-emergence of investors.

Hi,

Yes I checked the state Gov't web site and it looks like the "Outer" northern busway is in the planning phase where they are identifying possible transport corridoors between Kedron and Bracken ridge. Interesting to note that it might be completed in stages through to 2026 so it could be a long way off... here's the link http://www.northernbusway.qld.gov.au/

Thanks for this.

Brisbane's northside - Bracken Ridge

Hi,

Yes I checked the state Gov't web site and it looks like the "Outer" northern busway is in the planning phase where they are identifying possible transport corridoors between Kedron and Bracken ridge. Interesting to note that it might be completed in stages through to 2026 so it could be a long way off... here's the link http://www.northernbusway.qld.gov.au/
2026 is the latest date that the government plans to finish the busway. It could be finished earlier. It should be completed to Chermside well before that date.

Some articles state that Bracken Ridge is 19km from CBD. My IP is 15kms away. In Melbourne, some of the boom suburbs have been 10 - 20kms from CBD. If you are investing long term ie over 5 years these are the suburbs that will do really well.

Gday Crowdsurfa,

This is my patch of the woods, so I might be able to provide some more info if needed

Hi Andrew

I took a drive out to the Bracken Ridge / Deagon / Fitzgibbon area last weekend, and there's one area which - on paper at least - appears to be sleeping quietly in all the hype about Bracken Ridge.... i.e. Deagon. Or am I missing something tragic about the place??

Admittedly some of the stock in Deagon is older, but it has a station on the popular Shorncliffe line, it's close to the water, and it's not far from the Gateway Motorway. Aesthetically (i.e. as an owner-occupier) I think I'd prefer it to, say, Fitzgibbon, but I'm unsure of its popularity as a rental area.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Darren

Last edited:
Hi Darren,

I just got back from a holiday at Caloundra, so away from the computer.

I like the Shorncliffe line as well and think Deagon has some bargains. Don't think you are missing anything bad about the area, just a lesser known suburb. Also I use the excellent bike path that takes you from Toombul shopping town to the water at Shorncliffe travelling through Deagon along the way, riding a bike around can give you a nice insight into a suburb.

Deagon has a decent selection of cheaper housing stock (Under 350) and renovator specials along with some very nice houses on larger blocks, it's an older Brisbane suburb and some of the suburb is actually on the water instead of just being close to it :) Unlike Fitzgibbon the area is almost all free standing houses. All depends on what specifically you are looking for in a house and land. Boondall is another nearby area that has a nice atmosphere and well maintained feel when you drive around it.

Regards,
Andrew

Andrew

Many thanks for the reply - I hadn't realised there'd been a thread response.

My interest in Deagon is predominantly capital gain (through organic growth + renovation and/or subdivision potential), more so than lifestyle. Based on my 2 drive-bys in the area I'd say Deagon appears to have inferior stock to Bracken Ridge, Fitzgibbon & the surrounding areas. However, common sense suggests that given its proximity to train, water, motorway and (to a lesser extent) the proposed Northern Busway I'd guess that it'll shoot up in value in the next 10 years or so (ripple effect changes from the surrounding areas)… maybe more so in percentage terms. On the downside I also noticed how flat it is (flood risk?), and I'm aware of the higher crime rate around there too. I also see how many negative comments there are on this forum about the blue collar nature of Bracken Ridge, but to be honest the standard of some of its housing presents good value by Brisbane standards, and from an investment viewpoint I can't see many negatives…… however, my gut is telling me Deagon!

Any particularly strong ideas from a local, or should I flip a coin?

Darren

I like Deagon because its an older undeveloped area - lots and lots of large blocks on 2 titles - lots of older people moving on - younger families moving in who cant afford Sandgate but want the good schools. Lots going on there and its in the middle of a mini boom don't wait too long on this area - I have watched about 5 homes purchased 12 months ago ( ish ) for 300 ish and quick reno - new kitchen and bathroom - sell for $420 - $440 - its moving on ..........

I bought land and built in Bracken Ridge because I don't like renovating. To have a house that's maintenance free for quite a few years, in an area which is likely to grow rapidly in the next 10 years, was the attraction for me. Renovating is roughly 50% more expensive than building from scratch but for those who do like to renovate, Deagon has many opportunities.

The lack of crime in Bracken Ridge is also one of the plusses for me.

Murrumba Downs is also going well at the moment...

I can get built a 230m2 four bedder turn key for around $200k with a land cost of also $200k - resell for up near the $480k mark. tidy profit for a few months work.

From the PRD research Brisbane Hotspot article about Bracken Ridge.

Bracken Ridge (Houses)
Approx distance from CBD 19km
Median house price:$410,000

This northern Brisbane suburb is eagerly anticipating the opening of the Northern Busway, which will open this affordable suburb to a faster commute of only 25 mins into the Brisbane CBD. Add to this a railway line, easy access to the Gateway Motorway and in close proximity to the Brisbane International Airport, Bracken Ridge becomes an appealing suburb with a multitude of accessibility options and employment nodes. Demand should increase in this suburb for families that crave outdoor living and are priced out of the unaffordable inner city.

Other inclusions are Chermside (House & units), South Brisbane (Units), Annerley (House & units), Fortitude Valley (Units), Hemmant (Houses), Indooroopilly (Units), Cannon Hill (Houses), Woolloongabba (House & Units), Red Hill (House & Units)

They mention infrastructure (especially transport infrastructure) and a 'solid source of demand' as some of their selection criteria.

All good reading to increase your knowledge base I find, though I take all of these lists with a grain of salt, and some from certain oft quoted sources with a whole shaker of salt.

Available from their website with free registration.
Link to PRD Research

Just found this the other day Brisbane property hot spots

RP Data Director tipped:

Units with low entry point in Chermside, Clayfield, Moorooka and Greenslopes - long term capital growth.

Houses in Zillmere, Banyo and Coopers Plains best investment opportunities.

Cheers, MTR

It actually looks like quite a nice house. I couldn't stand the mosquitos that I am sure would come from the creek, and I would be worried about flooding. I just can't believe anyone would pay over 1million in Deagon. My husband and I think it must have that price just to "test the waters" so to speak and see if they have any interest.

It actually looks like quite a nice house. I couldn't stand the mosquitos that I am sure would come from the creek, and I would be worried about flooding. I just can't believe anyone would pay over 1million in Deagon. My husband and I think it must have that price just to "test the waters" so to speak and see if they have any interest.
I drove past this property the other week, just investigating what was happening in the suburb.

Can't fault them for starting with that price, hard to get a grip on what somebody might pay at the moment, there is a comparable sale nearby of 1.05M from 2006, so it definitely wouldn't be the first time over 1M for Deagon.

Just nearby there is an 809m (2 blocks) patch of vacant land on the water advertised for 1.5M, though considering the previous suggestion was for offers over 999k that could truly be testing the (Creek) waters :)

Its a deep water frontage !!! I think not a bad price for that 10 km from city - you really could take the boat to work LOL !

All Ester, Loftus and Hixton streets have enjoyed sales over 1 mil in the last 2 yeas - so its not that unrealistic. But yes I can see your points - it goes from 4 - 1million $ properties to about $600 the next level down going down to $300.

Sandgate use to be like that too with lots in the $300 but about %10 in the million bracket .

Its all very interesting to watch

Back