Broken gas pipe caused by fence contractor, say landlord needs to pay for repairs !

Hi we had a new fence completed, our neighbor wanted the cheaper quote and we went with this contractor against my wishes. We received the invoice from the fence contractor and paid it.
Now being 3 months later, the PM has just told me
- the day the fence was done he called PM office, (who was away that day), saying he broke a gas pipe and is sending a plumber to fix.
- Fence contractor then called PM following day, PM assumed fence contractor liable for repairing the gas pipe.
- 1 month later the PM received an invoice for about $500 from plumber not fence contractor. PM called Fence guy and was told rudely landlords responsibility due to agreement we signed.
- their agreement or T&C states, location of underground services is responsibility of the owner, for assistance dial 1100. Failure to locate may result in damage, at the expense of customer.

Any comments or suggestions are welcome.

I'm not happy as I believe
-the fence contractor should have taken time to find out she pipes are ?
- I must be unlucky as the pipe broken was on my side of the fence, but can,t understand how this can be when holes are straight underneath the fence.
- considering this was caused by the installation of our shared boundary fence, our neighbor should pay half right?
- I can also ask the plumber to reinforce the fence contractor not our PM?
- who can I complain to about this contractor ?

- can I claim on landlord insurance?

The fencer gave you the tools to find out about subterranean services, you didn't check so the contractor is absolved. A plumber was called to mitigate your losses.

Next: contact dbyd & see if the service is identified, if not then you may get the insurer to chase the gas supplier.

PM called Fence guy and was told rudely landlords responsibility due to agreement we signed.
- their agreement or T&C states, location of underground services is responsibility of the owner, for assistance dial 1100. Failure to locate may result in damage, at the expense of customer.

I'm not happy as I believe
-the fence contractor should have taken time to find out she pipes are ?

Looks like you agreed to find out where the pipes were.

How old is the property?
How long has the gas pipe been there?
Is the gas pipe buried at regulation depth?

If the property was built within the historical liability period & the gas pipe is not buried at regulation depth or deeper, then you may have a case against the builder.

But really, the fence contractor has well & truely covered himself.

Back