Broken key in garage door: Who pays?

Got an email from our PM in Brisbane yesterday:

"The garage door key has snapped in the lock. This happened while the tenant was trying to lock it. She said the lock has been a bit fiddly and hard to lock in recent weeks".

Now they want us to pay for a locksmith to go out and remove the key + replace the key.

I can't see how this is our responsibility, specially when the tenant has admitted to ignore a maintenance issue. If she noticed that the lock was fiddly, why didn't she contact the agent then?

We are just getting annoyed with all these requests for maintenance that seem to be "landlord's responsibility" each time. What are the guidelines here? Who should pay for the locksmith. Feedback please.

Keys break, you smile.

I have had one which has been stiff for 40+ years, key still hasn't broken. If the PM called a locksmith before it broke, the charge would not be much different.

Got an email from our PM in Brisbane yesterday:

"The garage door key has snapped in the lock. This happened while the tenant was trying to lock it. She said the lock has been a bit fiddly and hard to lock in recent weeks".

Now they want us to pay for a locksmith to go out and remove the key + replace the key.

I can't see how this is our responsibility, specially when the tenant has admitted to ignore a maintenance issue. If she noticed that the lock was fiddly, why didn't she contact the agent then?

We are just getting annoyed with all these requests for maintenance that seem to be "landlord's responsibility" each time. What are the guidelines here? Who should pay for the locksmith. Feedback please.

Fair dinkum Dan. Couldn't agree more. What about this message I got from my tenant a couple of weeks ago

"On Sunday night an O ring on the second toilet cracked. I have replaced the tap and will be replacing the pipe today. Soaked up most of the water have had fans and air conditioner on drying up the rest. Other than that all is well. Hope you and family are all well."

What's he want an SMS or something?

How much a year do you spend in money and time to keep your own place in good condition? You should expect to spend the same on an IP.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had the tenant reported that there was a problem with the lock, we could have sent someone to look at it. Probably spray some WD40 or spray grease on the lock bar, where it goes into the track bracket (It's a roller door). They failed to do this and weeks later they have broken the key in the lock.

We keep all our properties in excellent condition and we do not have a problem spending money on it, so thank you for all your assumptions.

It's the principle of this type of request that I asked for feedback on. There is no need to be rude and I obviously have a life outside these forums as you can see from my post count.

There was a maintenance issue that was not reported when noticed, then this has lead to a more expensive repair in the end. It's called negligence.

It seems the general opinion (3) is that the landlord has to cover for this type of repair. We must be the only ones that would think to report an issue when we first notice it, not wait until something breaks. Thanks for your feedback.

She said the lock has been a bit fiddly and hard to lock in recent weeks
There was a maintenance issue that was not reported when noticed, then this has lead to a more expensive repair in the end. It's called negligence.

It seems the general opinion (3) is that the landlord has to cover for this type of repair. We must be the only ones that would think to report an issue when we first notice it, not wait until something breaks. Thanks for your feedback.
Whilst I understand the principle of the point you're making, I bet the vast majority of landlords would be on here having a whinge if the PM had called out a locksmith or handyman because "the lock has been a bit fiddly and hard to lock", and suggesting that the tenant should just put up with such a minor inconvenience, so both tenants and PMs are somewhat in a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" position.

It's a tough call, sometimes, to figure out which minor gripes are just something to put up with, and which will lead to more damage. I don't think I'd contact my PM just because of a fiddly lock; I know of dozens of minor things like this in my present rental.

I wasn't rude, I just think accusing the tenants or PM of "negligence" is going a bit far based on the limited evidence you've provided here.

I wasn't rude, I just think accusing the tenants or PM of "negligence" is going a bit far based on the limited evidence you've provided here.

Thanks Perp. I wasn't referring to you. Obviously some people have difficulty communicating in a civilized manner. Thanks for your reply.

Last edited by a moderator:
We are having a similar situation our apt building. The tenants thought their key was acting up, so I tested a replacement key, and it was acting up too.
Seems to be the lock itself is wearing out. We will change the lock.

In this instance..I think you will need to bear the cost.

It could be the tenant OR the lock.

It's unfortunate but you will have to accept that you will never know which one it really is and will have to give the benefit of the doubt.

Always hard to prove when the tenant has caused damage (unless they're stupid enough to record themselves doing the damage and post it on youtube ;) ).
Best approach would be to ask the PM to ask the tenants to report any maintenance items as soon as they notice any minor problems so they can be repaired before they become major issues. They likely had landlords in the past who weren't so pro-active with maintenance, this will hopefully stop any issues that are avoidable (such as this one) happening again.

In regards to your initial question about whether you will have to pay for it, that is unfortunately the case.

LL pays again......add it to the annual repair budget list!

I have tried to overcome some of these small issues by having an instruction book for each property with copies of owner manuals for each piece of hardware.
I added a small can of WD40 with a request to spray sticking door locks & squeaky hinges when encountered and report any other problems to the PM.
The tenant signs for this book as part of the lease.

I change the tap washers every year anyway so I can check out the properties and check/tighten/repair all the hinges and locks.

Seems to work OK with responsible tenants....but they look after the places anyway.

PM management is another issue again....they often are too busy to look after the myriad details.

And the devil is in the detail.....:)

The likelyhood is that the tenant was negligent.

They are most likely lying and the lock wasn't 'palying up' instead they left the key in the door whilst they rolled it up and it snapped as it hit the top of the door frame. Have suffered this a number of times. Same lie but could see the damage on the frame.

In the end the LL will pay.

Cheers

Hey man ....fix the lock and pay the bloody bill ....get over it ....if this is a problem for you....get out of property rentals. Trust me it gets a whole lots worse..... LL

What landlubber said 3 posts up.

Dont let it get to you..

Keep focused on why you purchased it instead of day to day issues..

The world isn't perfect and you can't control things that are out of your control.

It will only stress you out if you try to!

Back