Bruce Allen & everything you hold dear

Hi

I got this email from a friend's wife tonight.
It was a forward of a cut and paste.
I did do a reply and they replied and then I figured I'll leave it for now...

Without throwing my opinion further into it I thought I would seek the wisdom of the forum if possible... you have to start from the bottom and work your way up, i highlighted the responses

Thanks

---

On 17/06/2008, at 5:34 PM, The Stewarts wrote:

My thoughts exactly.

It's time we all get behind Bruce Allen, and scrap this Political Correctness crap. His comments were anything but racist, but there are far too many overly-sensitive 'New Australians' that are trying to change everything we hold dear.
This is not exclusively an Australian problem.

Regarding Our National Anthem
I am sorry, but after hearing they want to sing the National Anthem in Arabic - enough is enough. No where or at no other time in our nation's history, did they sing it in Italian, Japanese, Polish, Irish (Celtic), German, Portuguese, Greek, or any other language because of immigration. It was written in English, and should be sung word for word the way it was written.
The news broadcasts even gave the translation -- not even close.
I am not sorry if this offends anyone, this is MY COUNTRY - IF IT IS YOUR COUNTRY SPEAK UP ---- please pass this along.
I am not against immigration -- just come through like everyone else. Get a sponsor; have a place to lay your head; have a job; pay your taxes, live by the rules AND LEARN THE LANGUAGE as all other immigrants have in the past -- and LONG LIVE Australia!
PART OF THE PROBLEM. Think about this: Why is it that only newcomers mustn't be offended but it's quite ok if they come into our country and offend us? If you don't want to forward this for fear of offending someone-----YOU'RE PART OF THE PROBLEM !!!!

Will we still be the Country of Choice and still be Australia if we continue to make the changes forced on us by the people from other countries who have come to live in Australia because it is the Country of Choice??????
Think about it!
IMMIGRANTS, NOT AUSTRALIAN'S, MUST ADAPT.
It is Time for Australia to Speak up.
If you agree -- pass this along; if you don't agree -- delete it!

Sent: Tuesday, 17 June 2008 6:11 PM
To: The Stewarts
Subject: Re: Our Australia

noting that the immigrants prop up the australian economy and keep us rolling in business... and without immigration and regardless of the resource boom oz would collapse (www.matusik.com - look at the powerpoints).

But the below skips english, south africans, yanks, canadians. wonder why he left that out.

I thought we (English, South Africans, yanks, Canadians) + Aussies all spoke the same language – “English”, Richard! (Although, granted, some Canadians do speak French too.) It’s not “downing” immigration, just the fact that some, particularly ethnic, communities come to Oz, but refuse to or chose not to adopt Aussie cultures, when they’ve chosen to move here, presumably for the better way of life and more opportunities. I welcome a multi-cultural society in Oz, but expect immigrants to accept and adopt the lifestyle and culture of the country they choose to settle in, while still not losing all of their own (i.e.- food, festivities etc) – that also goes for Aussies who migrate to other countries too. As it said, if you don’t agree with it – delete it.

They can sing the national anthem in any language they like, be it french, hungarian, russian, whatever, i don't care. Just as long as they don't annoy the neighbours/other people's tenants, keep the house clean, and pay the rent on time.

I think its crazy when changes are made to be pc, changes made by "us" the exisiting aussies and then we blame these changes on the newcomers.

Many changes such as the removal of Christmas and Easter in some school (or shopping centres or wherever) is not brought about by migrants or exisiting Australians with non Christian religions but rather "the system" and the non Christians are then blamed and made a scape goat.

In my child's school everyone celebrates (or not) whatever they want according to their beliefs. It seems to work for all concerned. I know I love my daughter being exposed to the differences aroud her. She will come home and explain about Greek Easter or that a certain child does not celebrate their birthday.

I think each new wave of immigrants are given a hard time, and then in time the next generation comes, and they are more accepted because they are more like "us". Then its the turn of the next new wave.

I grew up at a time and place where Italians and Greeks were given grief. And then time passed and the concern was about the increase in Asians. We now think pizza and stir fry is standard food and now we have moved onto new groups to see as the "outsiders". This too will pass....

Many changes such as the removal of Christmas and Easter in some school (or shopping centres or wherever) is not brought about by migrants or exisiting Australians with non Christian religions but rather "the system" and the non Christians are then blamed and made a scape goat.

This is too true. Its the PC do gooders who insist on stripping the tradition and religious elements away so as to not offend people, but the people they're trying to protect weren't offended in the first place.

Its kinda funny, I've never seen a Muslim or a Jew complain about Christmas or Easter...

Why dont people crawl back into their holes. If they want a cause, there's millions of kids starving to death in Africa.

PS If you try to stand for everything, in the end you stand for nothing.

oh please, not another "the foreigners are killing us" email doing the rounds....

i'm with tubs. if you want to make a difference, join UNICEF or the International Red Cross or Doctors Without Borders.

don;t write some huge whinging email and get everyone to pass it on. that's not being civil minded - it's called being a redneck.

I think its crazy when changes are made to be pc, changes made by "us" the exisiting aussies and then we blame these changes on the newcomers.

In my child's school everyone celebrates (or not) whatever they want according to their beliefs. It seems to work for all concerned. I know I love my daughter being exposed to the differences aroud her. She will come home and explain about Greek Easter or that a certain child does not celebrate their birthday.

I think each new wave of immigrants are given a hard time, and then in time the next generation comes, and they are more accepted because they are more like "us". Then its the turn of the next new wave.

I grew up at a time and place where Italians and Greeks were given grief. And then time passed and the concern was about the increase in Asians. We now think pizza and stir fry is standard food and now we have moved onto new groups to see as the "outsiders". This too will pass....

so you think someone singing the national anthem in a language other than English is a problem?:confused:

I only read the first para. I saw the phrase 'New Australians' and had to check the para above for the date. Surely, this euphemism hasn't been used since 1956. Designed to look inclusive while reminding the migrant that they are 'the other'.

In the early 90s someone of a certain age used the term about me. They meant it in a good natured way, trying to bait me, as a joke. It stung at the time. Still does.

I can't read the rest of the letter.

it is interesting.

I am from canada, the national anthem is in french and english. as an english speaker, i always thought the french version was nicer sounding.
Does the language really matter? As noted, it might depend on the context....

In canada it does distinguishes the french culture, but that isnt to say that they are any 'less' canadian.

But the foreigners I meet who become aussies are usually happier to be here than wherever they might have come from.

But the mentlity of this seems to be along the lines of Austraila is an english country, now that youre here you have to assimilate into english culture as well or youre a threat to my country because you wont learn english.

just seems small minded to say if you dont agree then you have a problem as well

So what is the Arabic translation for Lah Dee Dah Dee Dah?

"Australians all let us read Joyce,
For We are Lah Dee Dahhh...
With Lah Dee Dahh and Lah Dee Dah..
Our land is girt by sea."

Taking offence on behalf of someone else should be included in the 2012 Olympics. Just picture it.

Another GOLD for Australia!!!
Raise flags,
"For we are Lah Dee Dah...."
:D

Cheers,
Beef.

Back