Why the American Experts get Australia Wrong

We have another of a trickle of american experts predicting an Australian down turn in the Property market . In the past they've never been right and my gut feeling is they're wrong again .

I have a thought as to why this is the case and why the Americans get Australia wrong .

My hobby is song writing , specifically , country music so I've spent a fair amount of time trying to work out what makes americans tick , so I can write my songs in a way that sounds genuine to an american ear . I have numerous american friends and often ask them about how they handle different situations and what their coutry is thinking .

Bottom line is we are different , we react in different ways , we're more cynical , laid back , they can be more up front and take things literally . You have to spell it out and make it obvious to americans otherwise they won't get it . Obviously this is a broad generalisation and there are many other there who shake their heads at some of their fellow country men .

So why is this relevant ?

If you have a certain economic trigger , I believe we have a different interpretation and hence reaction .

It's the make up of our psychology as a nation which make us react in a different fashion. As an example if an american gets into financial trouble , they are more likely to walk away and start again , we're more likely to hang on and find a way to work things out . They are a nation of risk takers ( part of the reason why they have been successful ) whereas we are generally more conservative.

So applying statistical models to how we as a nation will react in situations ( which is what I assume these guys are doing ) IMHO is flawed and that's why they get it wrong .

Cliff

Its interesting to me for someone to try to characterise the "Australian Property Market". In a very limited analysis, there is Sydney, Melbourne and Perth. Within those markets, there are almost infinate sub-markets e.g. apartments. In Melbourne, apartments could tank, but inner city detached houses could boom. In Perth, the top end of the market could tank while first home buyer homes boom.

I have been following Perth vs Melbourne inner to mid ring development potential sites markets for about 10 years. It seems to me that Perth and Melbourne markets are always out of synch. Last time I wanted to buy in Perth, it was overheated, but Melbourne was flat. Then Melbourne went up while Perth was flat. Now Perth inner-mid ring devleopment sites are coming off but the Melbourne mid ring sites are going up. I wanted to develop Perth but I will be developing Melbourne instead. "The Australian Property Market" going up or going down is pretty irrelevant to me.

its also because that basically when America catches a cold, australia sneezes,

we tend to look at the US as a god or some higher power (correctly or not), but thats a different story,

im sure we wouldnt take much notice of a property forecaster from Africa for example

Its interesting to me for someone to try to characterise the "Australian Property Market". In a very limited analysis, there is Sydney, Melbourne and Perth. Within those markets, there are almost infinate sub-markets e.g. apartments. In Melbourne, apartments could tank, but inner city detached houses could boom. In Perth, the top end of the market could tank while first home buyer homes boom.

I have been following Perth vs Melbourne inner to mid ring development potential sites markets for about 10 years. It seems to me that Perth and Melbourne markets are always out of synch. Last time I wanted to buy in Perth, it was overheated, but Melbourne was flat. Then Melbourne went up while Perth was flat. Now Perth inner-mid ring devleopment sites are coming off but the Melbourne mid ring sites are going up. I wanted to develop Perth but I will be developing Melbourne instead. "The Australian Property Market" going up or going down is pretty irrelevant to me.

I think you'll find in a big decline the correlations will go to 1.

I don't think the question is why the US is different to Aus, I think it's why are we different to the rest of the world. In my opinion there are various reasons why our property market is different to most of the world:
-our obsession with home ownership
-generous tax advantages for investors
-freehold property not leasehold which also makes it attractive to foreigners
-vast majority of population lives in 4-5 major cities and/or down the eastern sea coast
-expanding population
-strong economy

I think these are the major reasons we haven't seen a major decline in prices

I don't think the question is why the US is different to Aus, I think it's why are we different to the rest of the world. In my opinion there are various reasons why our property market is different to most of the world:
-our obsession with home ownership
-generous tax advantages for investors
-freehold property not leasehold which also makes it attractive to foreigners
-vast majority of population lives in 4-5 major cities and/or down the eastern sea coast
-expanding population
-strong economy

I think these are the major reasons we haven't seen a major decline in prices

HiJack

all of those points are relevant . reason for the post was in reponse to latest American expert predicting doom and gloom , and my observations in relation to the way we look at things differently . All of the factors are intertwined .

Cliff

We have another of a trickle of american experts predicting an Australian down turn in the Property market

Cliff, I'm reminded of my high school days (long time ago admittedly), in relation to the definition of an "expert" (Xspurt).
"X" is the unknown in the equation
and "spurt" is just a drip under pressure.

Cheers,
Alan

Cliff, I'm reminded of my high school days (long time ago admittedly), in relation to the definition of an "expert" (Xspurt).
"X" is the unknown in the equation
and "spurt" is just a drip under pressure.

Cheers,
Alan

I thought the X was still an Ex , so it was a " has been" drip under pressure ;)

Cliff

If you have a certain economic trigger , I believe we have a different interpretation and hence reaction .

It's the make up of our psychology as a nation which make us react in a different fashion. As an example if an american gets into financial trouble , they are more likely to walk away and start again , we're more likely to hang on and find a way to work things out . They are a nation of risk takers ( part of the reason why they have been successful ) whereas we are generally more conservative.

So applying statistical models to how we as a nation will react in situations ( which is what I assume these guys are doing ) IMHO is flawed and that's why they get it wrong .

Cliff

Yanks are different from everybody else but think everybody else must behave as they do. This lack of understanding of others makes them so inept at relating with other nations and so awkward in diplomacy, war and peace etc... Even as friends they're far from being loved or trusted.

Not only their economists, but their politicians, generals, philosophers, sociologists... have been in the habit of misreading other countries. And they make it worse by being so loud and overbearing.

Not saying they're bad or stupid, just that they're hopeless at looking at issues with other people's eyes. Maybe a combination of unshaken self belief, egocentrism and general ignorance.

Yanks are different from everybody else but think everybody else must behave as they do. This lack of understanding of others makes them so inept at relating with other nations and so awkward in diplomacy, war and peace etc... Even as friends they're far from being loved or trusted.

Not only their economists, but their politicians, generals, philosophers, sociologists... have been in the habit of misreading other countries. And they make it worse by being so loud and overbearing.

Not saying they're bad or stupid, just that they're hopeless at looking at issues with other people's eyes. Maybe a combination of unshaken self belief, egocentrism and general ignorance.
Fair amount of accuracy in that.

They are so Nationalistic and can't seem to understand why anyone wouldn't want to be like them...it's maddening when you here it from folks over there who have never been outside their own suburb or city - and that was fairly common from our experience.

"God Bless America" is said often, and with lots of feeling - even by the homeless who have been royally shafted up the behind by American life. Go figure.

Our son had to do the whole "Pledge of Allegiance" thing every day in preschool and first grade when we were there...brainwashing starts early..

as an example , ( last time I checked ) if you google american values , you will come up with a whole series of links to " serious web sites etc "

Google Australian values and the first cab of the rank is this

http://valuesaustralia.com/ ( though don't go there if you have a vague wiff of political correctness ... )

Cliff

Fair amount of accuracy in that.

They are so Nationalistic and can't seem to understand why anyone wouldn't want to be like them...it's maddening when you here it from folks over there who have never been outside their own suburb or city - and that was fairly common from our experience.

"God Bless America" is said often, and with lots of feeling - even by the homeless who have been royally shafted up the behind by American life. Go figure.

Our son had to do the whole "Pledge of Allegiance" thing every day in preschool and first grade when we were there...brainwashing starts early..

They also can not understand why you don't know the ins and outs of their political system, however ask them who is the Prime Minister of Australia? have not got a clue.

The problem is as you mentioned they never ever travel outside their backyard, let alone their country.

Yes, they are different, they can go shopping down local Wal-Mart and buy a gun:eek:

Enough Yank bashing from me for the day.

I thought we were discussing the US economist?? Regardless that he is from US, this pretty much sums up economists and why they get it so wrong, here I go again

http://danerwin.typepad.com/my_weblog/2011/02/ten-reasons-why-economists-get-it-wrong.html

Back