build a house on main sewer, yes or no?

Hi all

I am going to build a nice house on a sub-divided land in Beecroft, but the building envelope is on top of a 10 meter main sewer, I have an option to concrete encase the main sewer for around $6000 and build the house on it or I can redirect the main sewer around the house and pay $20000 for it.

which is the better choice in terms of resale value?

We are planning to sell the house after its completion .

does anyone have similar experience on that? for example seeing a very nice house and was put off because it was built above main sewer

is it very hard to sell a property that is built on main sewer? The peoples in the plumbing trade all saying that concrete encase will last forever and have zero maintenance. but I still believe that this is kind of a piece of mind to many people that worry that the sewer will have problem eventually.

what are everyone opinions on this
any contribution is very very welcome

Thanks all

if it worries you it will most likely worry a potential purchaser. Unless you can be convinced, how do you expect potential purchasers to be convinced? Is there a significant discount for the sewer?

I don't mind spending an extra $14000 and make sure the purchaser will not put off by this sewer right below the house. I am expecting to sell the completed property in maximum potential value. so do you think it will be a good $14000 investment?

Thanks Tobe

The plumber trade person saying that concrete encase sewer will last forever and have zero maintenance , unless earthquake.

The av. house price in Beecroft is a tad over $900K. Spending the extra $14K to get the sewer away from under the house represents only 1.5% more to spend (if you are only building the average house - and you may be building a $M mansion, so it becomes even less). It will make the property easier to sell as there will never be a Q in any intending purchaser's mind.

Your plumbers are perfectly correct when they say that "..... concrete encase will last forever and have zero maintenance" BUT as they say in the marketing game "perception is reality".

The av. house price in Beecroft is a tad over $900K. Spending the extra $14K to get the sewer away from under the house represents only 1.5% more to spend (if you are only building the average house - and you may be building a $M mansion, so it becomes even less). It will make the property easier to sell as there will never be a Q in any intending purchaser's mind.

Your plumbers are perfectly correct when they say that "..... concrete encase will last forever and have zero maintenance" BUT as they say in the marketing game "perception is reality".

Yeah agreed. If it takes you this long to convince yourself it's a good buy - the next guy who comes around is going to go through the same thing. Plus you'll never be able to hide it because it's an easement under the property - so best to stay clear from these type of deals.

Id just pay the lower fee for encasement. Encasement is as good as NEVER having to worry about sewer again.

My partner deals with Sydney Water sewerage issues all the time.

Most people would not have a clue as to what water and/or sewerage assets are on their property until something goes wrong.

In this situation, the OP should bear in mind that diverting the sewer around the building will most likely mean the construction of additional manholes and/or maintenance pits around the property.

In their opinion, these additional assets are worse than having an encased pipe under the house, as where do you think Sydney Water maintenance staff need to gain access to the sewer in the event of a blockage?

How far away are the exisiting manholes from the property? If they are not located on the subdivided block, my advice would be to concrete encase everytime. Even if they are, better to have one manhole than several, as that WILL put potential buyers off for sure.

Encasing these days is extremely good and even if something like tree roots damage the casing, they can be relined.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Hi chilliblue

there is a service hole right on top of the building envelope

can i email you the plan?

Thanks very much

i asked a few real estate agents in my suburb, they all told me that if there is a main sewer below the house, it will be harder to sell and lower sale price

is that true? anyone have that kind of background ?

Thanks

Hi Gdiu, build over sewer is common & non issue. A build over sewer permit is required to be approved by council based off engineered plans prior to building permit being issued - is all taken care of at the construction phase. The agent's you have spoken to either have a lack of understanding in this area or are trying to swing you across for their own purposes to other listings. If you like the house. - go for it.

Back