Building and Pest inspection - Adelaide

Dear All,

Greatly appreciate if you could share with me, the building and pest inspection company that you have engaged before or recommended one at Adelaide ?

thanks,
Ming

Hi Ming

Just last week I had my house treated by Adelaide Pest Control.
It's only a small house and cost $1,375.
This included drilling every 300mm around the perimeter of the house and spraying under all the floor boards using the trap doors.

It's the first time I've ever had a house treated so I cant give you any comparison to anyone else.

The main reason I chose them was because they gave free written quote, where as the other main company in Adelaide (Murray's) wanted to charge around $200 just for a written report....

cheers, Adam

Last edited:
some of them do an annual inspection setup. every year they inspect the property, $200 a pop. rather easy money if the property's clean. but if any pests ever appear, the whole treatment is at their expense.

not a bad idea if you have picked up a house with past termite history and timber sleepers all over the backyard. lets you gradually sort out the wood over time. I have this setup with Lawlor's. 3 years clean - i'm thinking of cancelling the service in another couple.

I have heard that the Pest Control inspections arent worth the money - most houses in SA are slab concrete, so how can you really check what is happening around the footings. I think you are either lucky or unlucky - regardless of the prevention you use, or not use. In our 30 years of investing and living, we have not once used pest control inspections/sprays (other than that when first building) and we have never had white ants. Our friends were vigilant, and they had two colonies, because they lived near a creek. The house we rented for a while had regular inspections; yet one day, a window fell out of a panel because of white ants. Go figure!

However, we used one of the companies mentioned above because of noises in the roof; they told us we had rats in the ceiling and they wanted to poison them. WT? A dead rat in our roof coz it didn't get out in time? We insisted they use a cage to catch it - guess what, they caught a possum which we took away - no more noises so no rats!

Course that will probably come back to haunt me.

I have heard that the Pest Control inspections arent worth the money - most houses in SA are slab concrete, so how can you really check what is happening around the footings. I think you are either lucky or unlucky - regardless of the prevention you use, or not use. In our 30 years of investing and living, we have not once used pest control inspections/sprays (other than that when first building) and we have never had white ants. Our friends were vigilant, and they had two colonies, because they lived near a creek. The house we rented for a while had regular inspections; yet one day, a window fell out of a panel because of white ants. Go figure!

The guy that does our PPOR annual pest inspections says that there are areas in Adelaide where termites are a huge problem- Craigmore springs to mind. We've have had termites in fence posts and pepper trees. Our neighbour had one of his haysheds collapse because termites had hollowed out the uprightsand was extremely annoyed to find the warranty didn't cover replacement costs. In fact the warranty is only for more treatment when you read the fine print. I think spraying was more effective in the days when dieldrin (spelling?) was used. I remember when the pest controller would get in the roof and floor cavities and spray like crazy. We would cough and splutter for hours afterwards and then, one day, the Streaky Bay school had to be evacuated and closed indefinitely because the stuff was so poisonous and it became illegal to use the stuff as a preventative treatment. My mum lives at Henley Beach and has discovered white ant on her property on several occasions in the past 40 years. I think, like Pushka, it's luck of the draw. I've never had a pre-purchase building or pest inspection done on an IP in SA but have always had one done for IP's in Qld.

Cheers

I've only have inspections done on older houses, not units or newer houses in Adelelaide.

That said my girlfriend had one done on a 4 year old house in Seaford Rise and found that there was a pit out the back which was not on plan and agent said it was just a 'personal' pit (doh what is that?). Anyway a check with council showed it was a storm drain so that meant a) she couldn't convert the carport into lockable garage so that the front of house was fully secure (she was living on her own) and b) since the house was at the end of cul de sac, it received all the run off during a rainy storm. Also it turned out the outside paving was higher than damp course. the building inspector got all this info for her and the vendor immediately lowered the price $20K. My girlfriend was too freaked out by the storm drain to purchase so she backed out. Luckily she could. You only get 2 days cooling off in SA so you have to work quickly. This inspector was very good, unfortunately I've forgotten his name and my friend has gone to live in UK.

I know vendors can fudge this but isn't it better in ACT where the vendors are forced to present the building report to prospective buyers? One per property instead of everyone having to get their own one?

I have used Adelaide PrePurchase Inspections. www.appi.com.au The guy dos both building and termite, therefore one appointment only. Worked out a bit cheaper. Nice long report with nice long paragraphs.

Hi Ming,

Not sure if you've already booked your inspection through Adelaide Pest Control but apparently they are THE WORST company to go through to have this done. I can't say too much because i might get 'the source' in trouble but basically if you were to name 1 company NOT to use they are on the top of that list :eek:

Might have something to do with diluted chemicals etc but don't quote me on that.

I realise you're only after an inspection not so much treatment but i'm assuming if they're dodgy with their treatments, they're not reliable full stop!

As for building inspection, our friends all use PreInspections (i think they guys name is James)....they're on the corner of robe tce and northcote i think.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Kim

Never use one recommended by the REA

Stay away from the property inspector recommended by the REA. Most of the inspectors give a result to satisfy the agent :).

Back