Building and pest inspection

Hi guys,

What is the process in regards to a building and pest inspection? Once I have found a house I like do I get the inspections done before negotiating a price will the seller? How long does it usually take? I dont want to miss out on a good property. What if can't negotiate a price and I have already paid for the inspections? Any other help on the buying process would be most appreciated.

Cheers

SLL

Assuming its a normal sale, and NOT an auction; you generally negotiate the deal, agree on a price etc.

You then do the B+P inspection in your cooling off period, or make the sale "subject to satisfactory B+P inspection" (search this for more detail on the correct wording).

Which state/city are you purchasing in? In QLD for instance contracts are usually subject to pest/building which you generally give yourself 14 days to get and sign off on, in NSW I have found that you either do the inspections prior to exchange (and risk getting gazumped) or you sign off and get things done during cooling off period and fast.

both states you would generally negotiate the price prior to those inspections, unless you suspected a major building problem or etc which you wanted to take into account with your negotiations.

ive had a building and pest done in NSW before, which from memory cost me $600 (combined) but with 2 separate inspectors. I just had one done in QLD and it was $450 for both reports. From memory I think NSW is a bit dearer but then again that was a country town.

Back