building costs

after very general information,

What are buildiing costs per square? Once when taking house insurance, the bank asked what ammount do I want to insure it for? They said that you calculate the ammount, the house's area in squares multiplied by a dollar figure $......?? .Its my understanding that this figure is what you would you pay to have it rebuilt after a disaster.

Just need some rough figures to consider if it is feasiblity to demolish a property and build a new house on it

Thanks

Hi Rodm

Just the other day I did a search for building insurance on this site.
Somebody posted the AAMI site as a reference. They have a tool to calculate what building replacement costs would be. It seems to be quite thorough. It will give you an idea anyway.

Regards

Adrian See

Gday Rodm
I'm sorry I don't have the figures you need or a suitable ref. but I did use these figures a few years ago to calculate the actual value of a new property I was being offered by a developer.

I got on to a land reseller who was selling land in the same estate and street so I found out how much that was going for. Then I asked a couple of builders what it would cost per square for that quality and style of building and it turned out that the property in question must have been built at roughly double the going rate.

So much for developer discount!

Kel

I found some useful cost information recently on the Institute of Architects web site - www.archicentre.com.au. There is a downloadable file "Archicentre Cost Guide".

I was looking for cost on 2nd storey additions and it provided me with a good starting point.

Cheers

Miken

That figure can depend hugely on location.

I believe it's a very big amount higher in Canberra due to increased demand- only one of the 500 burnt down houses has been finished so far.

I did a owner builder course today and the guy gave us current Sydney prices from Rawlinsons. Also add gst.

For single storey, standard site.

Project house - brick veneer/tile roof $750 m2

Individual house - project quality finish/timber $930-990m2
brick veneer $1015-1075m2
double brick $1055-1125m2

Individual house - high standard finish/timber $1255-1405m2
BV $1380-1530m2
Brick $1420-1570
Individual house - luxury finish/brick $1820-2020

Regards

Adrian See

Back