Building in a Deck to add 2 new rooms.

I am looking at building in a deck. It is on the second story.

The deck has 2 french doors leading out to it. one (left hand side) comes off the current office.

The deck is about 6.5m wide and 5.4m deep out from the house.

The deck is roofed currently with tin on rafters.
The roof is the same width as the deck, and overhangs the front of the deck by about 450 mm.

It's got balustrades all the way around about 1200 high, and has external stairs in the left corner leading down to the patio.

The plan is to build in this deck - chamferboard clad, insulated, with VJ board to 1200mm high, dado rail and plasterboard from there up.

We then will split the space into:
a) small office with sliding door about 2.9m x 3.0m against the left hand side.
b) rumpus room with french folding windows out to the back yard.

step 1. Get the deck roof extended either side by abotu 450mm to create eaves. (Need a builder to do this - want it done right / waterproof etc.

Step 2. remove the side balustrades and build studwork in

Step 3. Build External Door

Step 4. Chamferboard outside

Step 5. Hang French windows and porthole windows

Step 6. Electrician to do Wiring

Step 7. Insulate and Sheet inside with VJ board to 1200 and plasterboard above (dado rail in between )

Step 8. flooring
Compressed 6mm fibro with "click clack" floating floorboards on top

Step 9. Paint

Step 10. Move furniture in and enjoy

Anyone got any tips or thoughts on that?
I've uploaded 2 pics to demonstrate.

Attachments

• exist_layout.JPG
    exist_layout.JPG
    20.5 KB · Views: 96
  • with_office.JPG
    with_office.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Check with council first. Decks are often not subject to the same builing requirements as a full on room. (roof heights etc.)

Hi,
To me, the layout looks a bit clumsy... you have your big french windows, with virtually a corridor in front of them.
I would do the office wider across the current house, and take up less depth from the room and have a corridor near the office running upto the rumpus room and do the rumpus across the full width of the back of the house, so you make the most of the windows. At the moment, your office and rumpus are roughly the same size, and I think the office should be smaller than the rumpus.
About the actual building stuff, I have no ideas!!
Cheers,
Pen

I am looking at building in a deck. It is on the second story.

The deck has 2 french doors leading out to it. one (left hand side) comes off the current office.

The deck is about 6.5m wide and 5.4m deep out from the house.

The deck is roofed currently with tin on rafters.
The roof is the same width as the deck, and overhangs the front of the deck by about 450 mm.

It's got balustrades all the way around about 1200 high, and has external stairs in the left corner leading down to the patio.

The plan is to build in this deck - chamferboard clad, insulated, with VJ board to 1200mm high, dado rail and plasterboard from there up.

We then will split the space into:
a) small office with sliding door about 2.9m x 3.0m against the left hand side.
b) rumpus room with french folding windows out to the back yard.

step 1. Get the deck roof extended either side by abotu 450mm to create eaves. (Need a builder to do this - want it done right / waterproof etc.

Step 2. remove the side balustrades and build studwork in

Step 3. Build External Door

Step 4. Chamferboard outside

Step 5. Hang French windows and porthole windows

Step 6. Electrician to do Wiring

Step 7. Insulate and Sheet inside with VJ board to 1200 and plasterboard above (dado rail in between )

Step 8. flooring
Compressed 6mm fibro with "click clack" floating floorboards on top

Step 9. Paint

Step 10. Move furniture in and enjoy

Anyone got any tips or thoughts on that?
I've uploaded 2 pics to demonstrate.
Maybe start with what's under the deck,6.5 is a wide span,and check the timber is the right size to take the load off the walls, you also need to double the timber on all the L-B points,walls and any internal you set-up i just can't read the plan too well, but if you are after some cedar silky oak aussie made joinery try this place, they have a section out the back that is full of all the hand made gear that people don't pay for, if it's got a sticker on it for $500.00 just offer the $300.oo most times they will take it, if you buy the windows-doors first then just frame in around the windows doors..willair..
http://www.woodworkers.com.au/

To me, the layout looks a bit clumsy...
I have to agree; I don't think this is an ideal layout. This is going to cost a lot, so I'd want to ensure it's adding value to your property. Are you planning on adding more deck to replace what you're losing? I think I'd consider extending full-width and creating like an "internal courtyard deck". ie Put the office on one side, the rumpus on the other, and move the steps so that they go down from the centre.

Attachments

• 090109 Somersoft deck layout suggestion.jpg
    090109 Somersoft deck layout suggestion.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 64
thanks for the suggestions.

Thanks all.

Couple of points.
Firstly - the underneath of it is a patio - already tiled and extremely usable and the deck is approx 3m off the ground.

The deck is not so usable - there is no entry to the deck from the kitchen, the entry is off the hallway.

Also the deck faces out onto nothing special - just the back yard and the railway line in the distance.

There's a deck at the front which we use more frequently for sitting, cups of tea etc.
but the back deck we don't use.

With respect to the layout - I could try changing it around a bit to make the office shorter I guess. it's a good thought.

The first drawings are not to scale... and were guess from memory.
I will try to post a better one..

Page 2 - the house is at the top of the page.

This one is better measurements.

Obviously I am not a draftsman - this was a bit tricky to set up.

I was using "Vector Engineer" which is a free cad program. I might talk to my mate who's an architect to get it drawn nicely..

Thanks for your thoughts so far.

Attachments

• Page2 Office Layout.jpg
    Page2 Office Layout.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Back