Building in my backyard 15m x 15m approx

Hi there,

I am considering building a unit/townhouse or house in my backyard. Must be 3 bedder, 1 or 2 bathroom. Space is limited to 15m X 15m. Needs to have double garage. Can I get something on this amount of land, what price range. I am in Clayton area Melbourne. Any information would be great such plans, permits costs etc,etc. Thanks

Yes I can sub divide, What other information do you need, single storey dwelling, brick. Let me know what other information I need to supply.:)

The actual cost of permits themselves aren't that expensive. It is the draftsman/architect fees which cost a lot (other than the building itself obviously). For Clayton I would imagine only low-medium quality housing is required. So budget for $1,250+ a sqm for everything as a very very rough guide. You may get it for less but it depends on inclusions etc.

SK

First off you need to see your local council planning officer, or privately, an accredited town planner to see exactly what you can put in place. Your ideas may be in complete conflict with what you are actually allowed to do.

Some things for you to go away and find out about are:
Overall footprint allowed
Setbacks
Privacy (if going two storey) - impinging on neighbours
Minimum open space across whole block, not just the area down the back
Room for drive way & parking for visitors - overtaking space (yes this is correct)
Does the block slope in any direction - you may need storm water detention tanks / pumps
Are there any easements
Significant trees

Mate, as Aaron said...."How long's a piece of string?"

"Let me know what other info I need to supply..." mmmm, sorry Sid, but you need to do some basic research of your own first; the reason I say this, is because it sounds like you haven't done any to date and you are setting yourself up to get burnt if you don't see the people above and learn some basics first - putting a bit of an effort in is a good start, rather than hoping a forum can teach you how to build or develop.

Start your research with your council website and download the planning scheme and have a really good read in light of some of the items I've listed above. Take it a step at a time from there; you might find your desire to build shot to pieces before you start.

These preliminary stage questions can't be properly answered here unless you provide some quality info for people to assist in answering you......and in all honesty, if you had already done the basics I've suggested, you wouldn't need to ask the questions here.

Sorry Sid, i'm just trying to save you from getting skinned alive ($$$), because builders will see you coming from miles away.

By all means once you've got your act together a bit more, come back & ask away on the forum, plenty of people willing to assist.

Ian.

Yes you are correct Ian, I havent done any research as yet. Before I do I wanted to get some information from this forum on where to start. You obviously have some idea & may have done this before. At least your information gives me an idea of what steps I need to take first, which is what I was after. Thanks for the information, I think I will contact local council and go from there.

P.S. Single storey
Flat Block
Easement at back (3m area I cant build over which I am aware of)

Hi there,

I am considering building a unit/townhouse or house in my backyard. Must be 3 bedder, 1 or 2 bathroom. Space is limited to 15m X 15m. Needs to have double garage. Can I get something on this amount of land, what price range. I am in Clayton area Melbourne. Any information would be great such plans, permits costs etc,etc. Thanks

How can you subdivide?
Is it a corner block?

The first thing you need to do is speak to either a qualified planning consultant or a draftsman with good experience dealing with unit developments in your municipality. Given that you have no breakground in the field the amount of information which can be gathered from a forum is not going to make you an expert in the field.

A consultant will only need a copy of your title, and to conduct a site visit and then he will be able to give you a more definitive response. But even he/she will not give you any certainty to a planning permit being issued at Council given the political and subjective nature of the industry.

But in saying all that development/subdivisions are an exciting journey, however without the aid of experienced people around you it can be a torturous journey!

The first thing you need to do is speak to either a qualified planning consultant or a draftsman with good experience dealing with unit developments in your municipality. Given that you have no breakground in the field the amount of information which can be gathered from a forum is not going to make you an expert in the field.

A consultant will only need a copy of your title, and to conduct a site visit and then he will be able to give you a more definitive response. But even he/she will not give you any certainty to a planning permit being issued at Council given the political and subjective nature of the industry.

But in saying all that development/subdivisions are an exciting journey, however without the aid of experienced people around you it can be a torturous journey!

Thanks vicplanner, I am only starting out so that gives some ideas of where to start. About time someone gave me a positive response as I am only a beginner & beginners need to ask a lot of questions cos that is how we learn. Thanks again vicplanner.:)

Hi Sidknee,

I have been involved a few sub-division projects within Monash Council area.

Based on your information, 15m x 15m space available and location is Clayton. My first assessment is that it's going to be difficult to achieve what you are after (3 bedrooms with double garage).

First of all, Monash City Council require you to have 75m2 of open space in which 35m2 need to have a minimum dimension of 5m. For your rear unit, the only open space will have to be located at the back as private open space. That will take out a chunk of your land already. Then you need to consider the provision of car spaces for the existing dwellings, if the existing house has 3 or more bedrooms you need minimum of 2 car spaces. On top of that you will need to provide enough driveway space for all vehicles to exit the site in a forward direction.

Base on these facts, I find it would be rather challenging for you to fit in a 3 bedroom 2 storey townhouse with a double garage plus 75m2 open space for new unit and 35m2 open space for existing house as well as 2 car spaces for the existing house in a 15m x 15m space.

I have managed to design a 2 bedroom + study in a 16m x 15m space in Whitehorse council area and it won't be possible in Monash.

Regards,

Frank

"About time someone gave me a positive response as I am only a beginner & beginners need to ask a lot of questions cos that is how we learn."

SK,

Beginners should also read & understand what information has already been presented in replies by myself, Aaron & Vic Planner. If you can also learn to engage conversation with people by showing some grace & gratitude, you might find people more willing to assist you. The paragraph of yours (above) isn't going to help your cause if you keep that up.

Franstar has just saved you a heap of $$$ with his detailed feedback (which is all the stuff I queried you on in my first post and all the stuff that Aaron & Vic Planner alluded to). I'd be personally thanking him with a carton given the quality of his information and then I would also approach him to see if he would be open to any further questions I might have in relation to developing; try and establish a casual, respectful, working relationship (just low key stuff via email or the forum).

Yes you are a beginner and you are welcome to ask a million questions, but that doesn't mean you will be spoon fed. Put in some effort at your end & you will be rewarded with feedback from the people here.

All the best.

Ian.

Hi Sidknee,

I have been involved a few sub-division projects within Monash Council area.

Based on your information, 15m x 15m space available and location is Clayton. My first assessment is that it's going to be difficult to achieve what you are after (3 bedrooms with double garage).

First of all, Monash City Council require you to have 75m2 of open space in which 35m2 need to have a minimum dimension of 5m. For your rear unit, the only open space will have to be located at the back as private open space. That will take out a chunk of your land already. Then you need to consider the provision of car spaces for the existing dwellings, if the existing house has 3 or more bedrooms you need minimum of 2 car spaces. On top of that you will need to provide enough driveway space for all vehicles to exit the site in a forward direction.

Base on these facts, I find it would be rather challenging for you to fit in a 3 bedroom 2 storey townhouse with a double garage plus 75m2 open space for new unit and 35m2 open space for existing house as well as 2 car spaces for the existing house in a 15m x 15m space.

I have managed to design a 2 bedroom + study in a 16m x 15m space in Whitehorse council area and it won't be possible in Monash.

Regards,

Frank

Hey Frank, thanks for the advice. I have been doing some research already & was aware of car parking, open space area as such. I will look further into other advice I received from everyone else. If anything goes ahead I will keep you guys posted. Thanks again.

Back