Cost of Draftsman

Hi all,

I am looking at having some work done on my PPoR. I would like to knock down the "lean to" style toilet/laundry at the back of the house, build it up to floor level and turn it into a full bathroom. Also change a few rooms around, redo the kitchen and build a deck out the back.

We have done our own floor plans on CAD to give to builders to get quotes on, but it is very hard comparing apples to oranges.

Would it be better to get a draftsman in to do a working plan to give to builders to tender on, and what sort of price are we looking at to have this done?

Also, as I have never done a build, what sort of order do I work in to get it from design in my head to council approval? eg, soil testing? engineering?

Thanks in advance

V

Couple years ago, I used to prepare Town planning drawings for around 1-2k before registering as an architect. It does not include site survey and application fee, so total of this stage will cost 3-4k modestly.

Working drawings will need soil test, structural drawings and application fee to Building Surveyor so you can expect around 4-5k.

It will add up in case of something happens like heritage overlay, neighbor objection, VCAT, or changing idea ...

Another option is you can send the raw tender of TP drawings and some builder happy to cover the building permit.

Back