Building on sand (Fern Bay)

are you for freakin' real?

sand is more stable than clay can dream of! hell - even sand on shale rock is better than clay.

here in WA about 80% of all new development is sand down to at least 2.0m - those that are on clay or mud end up being backfilled with - wait for it - SAND!

in fact - clay in the metro area is near-on unheard of except for near the river and low lying foothills basins like Armadale.

you guys over east crack me up!!

Absolutely. There are two places where you can build without foundations - solid rock and sand. Once compacted by the weight of the building and provided there is no wind/water erosion sand is as stable as a rock.

To the opposite - clay has got colloides that swell/shrink depending on moisture content and wag the house lik dog wags its tail. Hence cracks and destruction. On clay you get to dig foundations to the depth where moisture content is relatively stable - up to 2 m depending on the clay type.

you can build on rock with no foundations - but you still need them in sand....!

sand still has to settle until it IS as hard as rock - until that settling stops, you need a foundation.

foundations act as one solid piece to lay our antiquated bricks on. that way, if one part of the house wants to move, it has to fight the rest of the house that doesn't.

i can stand on sand and sink my feet into it, therefore, you need foundations.

I've seen houses with backyards that are moving with humps and bumps all around from where the sand has moved. Nothing funny about that. Yes if you have land on the compacting type of sand like you use to lay pavers then that is fine of it is on a solid base. But I've seen houses built on ground that is like the sand you see at bondi beach and the movement in the sand is quite shocking. This is not far from rivers so i guess the movement is from all the elements related to owning a house in river land..

This is not far from rivers so i guess the movement is from all the elements related to owning a house in river land..

err - sorry to rain your parade - but it might be free-draining sand on clay.

M or S class site there for sure - not A. BIG difference.

M or S class site there for sure - not A. BIG difference.

True BC, but only if the structural integrity of the GCI - gross compaction index - is above 4.6 as per section 27 (a) (iii) of AS 2872.

If it is 4.5 or less, then M classification automatically reverts back to A class.

The S class sites are obviously different. You'd be mad to build on anything less than a grade 3 fulcrum lay. Interspersing with an aggregate sand can upscale to a grade 5 fulcrum lay (acceptable for double brick single storey loads only), but obviously best to start with a uniform grain size.

The Structerre civil engineers have a different standard again, working to BCA 43(a), which is just a beefed up version of AS 2872 for sandy areas. I prefer to stick to the A class if at all possible.

Fern Bay is classified as grade M, as its GCI is typically nearer the 6.2 mark. Very expensive site costings. Can get around the exemption by applying for relief under the "Broadacre principle", as successfully argued in the Wattle vs Fern Bay Shire Council case (2003).

development at fern bay

For gg1965,

further to the future possible development to the area, I went past the Fern Bay entrance last night on the way home and you wouldn't believe it- (I must be psychic) yesterday they put up a huge sign on the opposite corner. Couldn't quite see all that it said but I think it had "For Sale- Development site.....blah blah blah." Was going to have a look this morning but the huge dust storm put a stop to that.

If anyone is interested what it is, let me know and I'll make an effort to take a picture to post.

Looks like the area wont be bush for much longer!

Hi Bespoke,

Yes i am interested in the details. Not that i would buy but i am curious about what is happening in the Newcastle area. I'm more interested in the inner areas of Newcaslte but any development in the Newcastle area is of interest to me.

One question - when you say, on the opposite corner, does this mean that this new development is not on the ocean side of the road?

Changing the subject, i did spy that the Rectory in Stockton is now for sale by tender. Very beautiful building.

Newcastle is such a great city. I'm hoping the plans for tree lined boulevardes and cultural centres etc come to fruition - and i hope they leave that railway line in the CBD.

Thanks

g

True BC, but only if the structural integrity of the GCI - gross compaction index - is above 4.6 as per section 27 (a) (iii) of AS 2872.
:confused: AS 2872 is for Atmospheric heating of vessels containing fluids..
I think you mean AS 2870 resi slabs and footings.. but gives no mention of a "gross compaction index??

The Structerre civil engineers have a different standard again, working to BCA 43(a), which is just a beefed up version of AS 2872 for sandy areas.
Beefed up? As Blue Card mentioned, an engineer can design with the BCA under "deemed to comply", which makes me think it's all optional.. If they're willing to sign off on ridiculously thin slabs, good luck to them..

The sign is on the opposite northern corner - yes on the non ocean side. I will try to get a pic tomorrow- am finishing late tonight.

The rectory at Stockton was up for sale (if I have the right place) about 18 months ago. I'll have to have a look, I have an aunt who lives in Stockton.

Yes, I love Newcastle too, but I am biased - was born in the old Newcastle hospital overlooking Newcastle Beach. I have lived elsewhere for about 10 years though and couldn't wait to get back.

The city is slowly getting rejuvenated- lots of people are now very interested in whats happening. And how good is Stockton? Think of how much a similar house that close to the city and beach costs in Sydney.

Interestingly I was studying Architecture at Newcastle Uni a couple of years ago and we had a new professor (german bloke) who moved to Newcastle just to be involved in and influence the rejuvenation (his specialty apparently). Good to have someone of his caliber putting his 2 cents worth in.

Good lifestyle here. We have friends who took a pay cut to move here from Sydney for a better quality of life- cheaper house too!

That rail line issue is a VERY contencious issue here, its been going on for years. Personally I can see both sides of the argument. Lots of people very passionate about their point of view on this.

When I met my hubbie, he was living on the Central Coast (He had migrated from UK 12 months earlier) and he said "God who'd want to live in Newcastle, its ugly" and I said to him "So you drove past the old BHP site and a couple of run down areas and thought that was Newcastle. I'll show you the real Newcastle and then lets see what you think" a few months later he moved here and doesn't want to live any where else now.

Sorry raved on a bit.

If they're willing to sign off on ridiculously thin slabs, good luck to them..

they're probably going to have to beef up the mesh from what the concretors like (F72 in 100mm) to what the concretors put up with (F62 in 85mm) to what concretors will walk off site because of (F52 in 75mm?) because they can't get their feet in between the holes to work while pouring.

they're probably going to have to beef up the mesh from what the concretors like (F72 in 100mm) to what the concretors put up with (F62 in 85mm) to what concretors will walk off site because of (F52 in 75mm?) because they can't get their feet in between the holes to work while pouring.

F72 has 7mm wires on 200mm spacings
F52 has 5mm wires on 200mm spacings

Holes are the sale size therefore, aren't they?

Pulse

sorry - just saw this.

i meant to write 2x F52 :eek: - it's about all you could get away with in 75mm surely - esp considering a set down to wet areas etc?

i just cant imagine F72 in a 75mm slab...

The city is slowly getting rejuvenated- lots of people are now very interested in whats happening. And how good is Stockton? Think of how much a similar house that close to the city and beach costs in Sydney.
I can see lot's of potential here, only been up this way myself for 6 months and one thing I really noticed was how much more friendlier people are compared to Sydney.
When I met my hubbie, he was living on the Central Coast (He had migrated from UK 12 months earlier) and he said "God who'd want to live in Newcastle, its ugly" and I said to him "So you drove past the old BHP site and a couple of run down areas and thought that was Newcastle. I'll show you the real Newcastle and then lets see what you think" a few months later he moved here and doesn't want to live any where else now.
Yes I felt that way when I first seen Newcastle. The tall buildings seem to give it a dark and cold feel plus with the industrial thing too. I still haven't seen much of Newcastle yet but one thing that it really needs on the center of the city is a bit of a cleanup and renovation as some of the buidlings along the main roads look very untidy. It seems Newcastle is lacking a modern planner but they could still keep the character and historic buildings. I can imagine some old bloke in his 70's with a similar board are on the local council taking 10 years to approve a basic development etc.

Hi Monsoon,

yep lots of potential here. People are probably frendlier here. One thing I will say, gossip travells fast in Newcastle. Don't do anything dodgy here if you are in business, everyone will know in a matter of days.
Ever heard of 6 degrees of seraration? Well here its more like 2!:D

Oh and one parculiarity about us here, we HATE to pay for parking, council put in 7 day a week paid parking metres a couple of years back and just killed the w/e markets that used to be in the mall in the CBD, you pay for w/e parking in Sydney, not Newcastle. People were incensed. The council changed the parking back to what it was.

The council is slowly getting its act together, it has some grand plans but I think its a case of $$$$$, mind you one of our IP's is in Newcastle council area and the rates are about double what my rates are on the PPOR (Port Stephens Council):mad:

I would love to be able to afford one of the apartments in the CBD, preferably one overlooking the beach! AHHH maybe one day!

Back