Building Two Storey

Hello,
I have a small brick house close to the melbourne cbd which I would like to add a two storey to comprising of two upstairs bedrooms with ensuites.
I was wondering if anyone has added a two story extension to their property and could advise me of the approx. building costs or perhaps how to work them out. I understand that there are many factors involved but I'm just at the starting point.
Thankyou

Call in an expert and get a report done on the possibility of adding a second storey before worrying about how much it will cost.
You have to check and ensure the foundations are strong enough to take the extra floor.

Depending on the material you are proposing to use ( eg concrete floating slab or timber floor, framed walls or brick, etc) the price will vary over a wide range.

If the foundations arer not rated for the addition it may be possible to add to them but this is going to add to the cost.
The 'how much' question is the same as the 'how long is a piece of string' answer at this point.

kp

Kph is right,
unless we know the construction of your house, foundations, condition, roof structure no one can even guess, then there is the materials wanted for the addition ect ect
much easyer to get a busiler to estimate it on inspection

Girlfriend is getting approvals (all architect designed) on a new 2 storey house in Richmond at the moment and the council are making all sorts of provisos, but the worst is she has to come in a considerable way all around from the ground floor house boundary for the top storey. This is cutting in considerably to her available space upstairs, and is most annoying as the house next door was razed and two two storey houses built right on her boundary, but now, of course, they have changed the rules. Would pay to ask a local draftsman or the council how far in from the boundaries you have to come as it might not be worthwhile if yours is a small house (as is hers, - single fronted cottage) Just as a matter of interest, I remembered an Architect friend of mine several years ago decided it would be much cheaper to pay the council fine (than wait for all the approvals) He had bought a warehouse shell and went ahead and did most of the work, then "threw himself on the council mercy" saying "I didnt think I would have to have permits for this type of thing, but now maybe I should have talked to you. Council took him to court, he never let on he was an architect, judge said, did you (the council) find him out, oh no, they said he came to us. Judge told the council they had no case to prosecute, council fined him, he paid and saved himself 1-2 years, happy man.

I'd like an attic, I figure it will cost a couple hundred in joists, floor sheeting, wall framing, gyprock, insulation, skylight and ladder and some beer for the father-in-law to wire it up. Well, that's more than a couple hundred but not by much :)

But then I have a big roofspace and my ceiling joists are foot thick hardwood and currently span 10 metres without even touching the foot-and-a-half thick central wall. You might have a snowball's chance in hell of adding a second storey on a small house.

Rough guess $150k - $250k. Working on some quotes people I know have been given, it's almost cheaper to knock the house down and build a brand new 2 story house.

The cheap quotes are just for putting a big room upstairs and a bathroom.

Regards

Girlfriend is getting approvals (all architect designed) on a new 2 storey house in Richmond at the moment and the council are making all sorts of provisos, but the worst is she has to come in a considerable way all around from the ground floor house boundary for the top storey. This is cutting in considerably to her available space upstairs, and is most annoying as the house next door was razed and two two storey houses built right on her boundary, but now, of course, they have changed the rules. Would pay to ask a local draftsman or the council how far in from the boundaries you have to come as it might not be worthwhile if yours is a small house (as is hers, - single fronted cottage) Just as a matter of interest, I remembered an Architect friend of mine several years ago decided it would be much cheaper to pay the council fine (than wait for all the approvals) He had bought a warehouse shell and went ahead and did most of the work, then "threw himself on the council mercy" saying "I didnt think I would have to have permits for this type of thing, but now maybe I should have talked to you. Council took him to court, he never let on he was an architect, judge said, did you (the council) find him out, oh no, they said he came to us. Judge told the council they had no case to prosecute, council fined him, he paid and saved himself 1-2 years, happy man.

A builder I know did something quuite similar, went ot court and lost
he had to pull down his block of flats and went bankrupt

Back