Built in robes

Looking at a particular 2BR unit and it has no built in robes, Would they be a good investment to get some installed ?

I know when I am looking at places that is one thing I notice instantly if it has/hasn't BIR's.....

Just off topic for a sec, that reminds me, I was with my mate who's Canadian looking through the rental ad's one day and he saw the phrase 'BIR'

He says to me "bathrooms in room!?"

Yeah... lol sorry to hijack.

I know when I am looking at places that is one thing I notice instantly if it has/hasn't BIR's.....

I think you answered your own question.
We put one in our IP to attract more renters. It mightn't necessarily bring you more rent but it will bring more renters. Some renters simply don't have a wardrobe. A mirrored robe is best I think.

I think you answered your own question.
We put one in our IP to attract more renters. It mightn't necessarily bring you more rent but it will bring more renters. Some renters simply don't have a wardrobe. A mirrored robe is best I think.

that depends on the house style ,a mirrored robe may look great in a semi or modern house but looks atrocious in a queenslander

that depends on the house style ,a mirrored robe may look great in a semi or modern house but looks atrocious in a queenslander

I didn't think of that. I've never even looked at a Queenslander (other than my brother and he doesn't look good in glass).

They are a pain to clean but can make a room look more spacious.

I add BIR - custom made you can add $1000 as a rough estimate. In one apartment we just added IKEA standalone cupboards - so they could move them to suit the room - got them in the bargain area from $250 each to about $100 as box damaged.

I would always add robes of some type.

As a renter myself if there is no robes I walk.

Jane

Very much thanks everyone!

I have a question in terms of getting them put in. One of my bedrooms has them, although they are pretty old style.

Do you think it's a good idea to get custom built, go a cheap build or get something portable?

The way I see it is.....
Do you want your tenants dragging cupboards/wardrobes over your
carpet/lino/floorboards, knocking the walls/doors/architraves,
and this is just to get them in the front door.
A lot less damage if you have BIR

In one proeprty I have provided portable in the bedrooms - they move around the bedroom but nowhere else - then again where do you take your robe for a walk too in a 2BR unit, the view is nice on the balcony.

Jane

In one proeprty I have provided portable in the bedrooms - they move around the bedroom but nowhere else - then again where do you take your robe for a walk too in a 2BR unit, the view is nice on the balcony.

Jane

I find wardrobes cause damage if its an opening hinge door and they have placed it in the corner, Opening a door onto the wall with the knob hitting the plaster wall.
Less damage from sliding BIR

Built in robes with sliding doors work better in smaller spaces as you don't need to accomodate as much room for doors opening, however we have found that with most of our renovations the built in robes with hinged doors return better value and are more popular.

Wishing you every success,

Ana

Oh yeah, I hate mirror doors too! We paid around $1000 fully installed, and the doors were 'milky glass' to match the ones in the main bedroom.

Back