Bunch of jealous whiners

That, with all respect, is just nonsense.

Get rid of the us/them mindset. Especially based on generational matters.

And a lot of areas of Sydney have undergone massive increases in price. You can't deny that. Can you blame people for getting a bit annoyed about the prospect of a 3 hour commute each day simply to afford to buy a house to live in?

Don't forget, investors have had massive incentives over the years to accumulate more and more property and that has had an effect on how easy it is for people starting out to get on the property ladder.

The snobbery about "generations" and not wanting to work for anything are just as rude and offensive as those about rich selfish investors.

Yeah but this is the first time we've had this ort of intergenerational conflict you see ;):p :rolleyes:

I'm surprised how "surprsied" people act when they hear something like this YET AGAIN (cause we've all heard it before) and react like they've heard it for the first time)

Shop owners know that a good percentage of their customers whinge aobt their high prices.. they know kids shoplift cause they think shopoeners are rich.. us property invetors aren't the only ones who have to deal with misperceptions about being rich, able to "afford it" and all that stuff... just getting a tad repetitive...... the arguments are getting old

re

Re

However, its just as wrong to generalize the younger generation as it is to older generations. If you look from a different perspective:

1. The cost of living is higher
2. The cost of housing is higher - income to price ratio, and that average income cannot afford to buy an average house.
3. Now its more likely both partners had to work
4. Youth unemployment is through the roof - due to offshoring of manufactoring jobs.
5. Those who chose to have higher education are slugged with HECS/HELP which can amount to 50 to 80K+ depends on what you study.

I have known fellow friends from Generation X+ working really hard, just to having to pay off their own study debts, much less spare money to spend on luxuries like new furnitures or new cars.

Warren.2011

Yeah but this is the first time we've had this ort of intergenerational conflict you see ;):p :rolleyes:

I'm surprised how "surprsied" people act when they hear something like this YET AGAIN (cause we've all heard it before) and react like they've heard it for the first time)

I think all signs are that generational conflict (at least in the economic sphere) will be quite fierce going forward due to structural reasons. If you want to hear whining wait until the baby boomers try surviving in large numbers on the age pension.

But Tom, aren't we all meant to gang together in defence against the real enemy, this current (and the first LOL) generation of me me me ... they are worse than any of us before them ever could have been, come on mate, join the bandwgon, admit it....

re

I disagree with this. If you were to live like many people did 50 years ago, it would cost bugger all.

however:

1. The cost of food - e.g. food and vegetables have increased, and at times way over inflation.
2. The cost of essential utilities - e.g. electricity had gone up more than CPI. Internet is an additional cost of live which is now essential.
3. Flat panel TV - well, it would be more challenging now to find one which is not flat panel.
4. The issue is that the society have progressed and advanced. And one can no longer live in the past, one have to adapt. I mean techniqually we can survive as we did 100 years ago, and you dont really need electricity or cars to live right?

Warren.2011

however:

1. The cost of food - e.g. food and vegetables have increased, and at times way over inflation.
2. The cost of essential utilities - e.g. electricity had gone up more than CPI. Internet is an additional cost of live which is now essential.
3. Flat panel TV - well, it would be more challenging now to find one which is not flat panel.
4. The issue is that the society have progressed and advanced. And one can no longer live in the past, one have to adapt. I mean techniqually we can survive as we did 100 years ago, and you dont really need electricity or cars to live right?

Warren.2011

The cost of food has increased, although non-processed food is still relatively cheap (except for meat).

TVs, appliances, clothes, furniture and cars are all much cheaper.

I disagree with this. If you were to live like many people did 50 years ago, it would cost bugger all.

I sorta agree and disagee, but agree mostly with VYberlina. I think cost of living vs income has ratio has not changed significantly

when I was growing up mobiles werent around, well sort of, so my expenditure on phones was zero, now every kid above 14 has one, some of these kids are on $60 plans, Im on a $15 plan and use the phone an absolute crap load because I shopped around, I personally think its crazy.

a friends son, is receiving an ipad for christmas, he is about to turn 3! I have played with an ipad, its funky, but I think its completely useless. I cannot justify spending $700+ or whatever they cost.

my first tv purcahse as an adult was a bit of a "gift" to myself, 68" triniton at like $1800, today you can buy a 50" branded LCD/plasma for $496, and thats at todays prices

When I was saving up, I would refuse to buy lunch at work as it would cost like $7-8 per day, these days lunch costs about $9, but most people who seem to be struggling or whine about the cost of living, buy lunch and a morning coffee.

I think mobs are a necessity of life now, I have yet to meet many people who need an ipad, you can still pay $5k+ for a tv, but so could you back then.

i personally think the kids of today are spoilt beyond belief. big difference between need and want.

These type of comments have been a fixture for sometime to articles about housing. Nothing new here. With the explosion of social media and interactivity of newspapers, anyone can comment on anything. Bit like on SS ;)

But to think this inter-generational conflict is something of a recent phenomenon is wrong. I recall the debate in the 80's, when existing home-owners had fixed interest rates (pre banking deregulation)in the vicinity of ~13%, whilst as has been mentioned on SS many times, interest rates climbed to well over 17-18% during the 80's for newer and often younger interest rates. One of the debates I often heard was it wasn't fair for younger homeowners to have such have IR compared to older more established home-owners who were paying less.

I am sure there were similar in the previous decades. When you are starting out with nothing, then financial independence, seems a long way away.

Whoa, waay too many comments with all too valid points.

Investors (not just property investors) get benefits, why pick on property investors as being the boogey? Those who are creative enough can make 30+% pa year on year in the stockmarket even under the current conditions with minimal risk, do we whinge about them? It is much easier to make that sort of money with a little knowledge than to sit around an bust your b@lls trying to get a +ve cashflow property.

Every (new)generation whinges about the cost of housing, historically each generation has moved a few km's further away from the CBD to buy their first home but had the expectation that they should be able to afford something bigger & better than their parents' house at a much younger age.

Stamp duty, how unfair! Us poor property owners have to pay this impost on purchases whereas other investors don't. There are smaller transactional costs imposed on other investments and none on others. Do we whinge about this inequality?

Uni, the cheapest education around. Yes, I may sound blaise about it but tell me, which courses cost $50K+? Science based degrees, where there is a lot of lab work/materials required might cost a little more but most other degrees are relatively cheap, ie less than $20k (unless you are an overseas student and paying the full cost of around $100k). Pull your collective heads in. Even post grad costs around $1500/subject (and that is generally tax deductible). Oh poor me!!!! I had to pay for my degree and will have to pay it off over the next 20 years :(

An earlier poster made the observation that rather than p!$$!ing their weekly earnings up against the wall and buying the latest & greatest electronica/car/feel good item, they invested and got ahead. Their recommendations fell on deaf ears with their mates. That is the difference is getting ahead, the mindset. Don't whinge about it, get off your butt and do something about it.

Another comment about the cost of living being so much higher. Yes it is. But how many people out there are paying $1000's for their telecoms? Internet may be an essential, so may be the mobile but cutting out some of the excesses like subscriber tv, that second or third mobile with all the net access, downloading music and the rest? Why do we need 4 tvs in a house? Do we really need the second car? (Yes, this is another greenie bugbear of mine, there is no incentives to use public transport unlike tax deductibilty for cars).

I had an epiphany over the last few days seeing the highs and the lows of the economy within the family. Christmas, feasted with one side of the family (seafood, ham, pork, turkey, deserts) then boxing day with the other side (bbq snags, kebabs, desert). One lot, the older generation were proactive built up their wealth and now have a very comfortable lifestyle, some of their kids have their heads screwed on and have built up their own wealth, leading by example, their kids have holiday jobs as well, some of the others still struggling even though they have their own houses but have all the trinkets & electronica around the house. The other lot, mum works hard & tries her best but doesn't earn much, the kids have the expectations but don't lift a finger to help around the house, won't get a part-time job nor register for the dole just prefer to bludge off mum (even got sacked from a fully indentured apprenticeship because diddums didn't like being told what to do). Gave these kids (16yrs +) their presents, only to be asked "can I bring my mate?" What is the expectation? Must everything be given to them (& their bludging mates)? or am I just getting old and grumpy? My observation is that there is a big divide in our society but it is not caused by the attitude of the parents but through the association of the young with their lazy mates (whose parents have given them everything but the will work).

Back in your cage...Rant off. :D

Would just say that both sons' uni courses will come to considerably more than $20K. Architecture and engineering - about $7K per year by 4 or 5 years.

Re

I have known fellow friends from Generation X+ working really hard, just to having to pay off their own study debts, much less spare money to spend on luxuries like new furnitures or new cars.

Warren.2011

I am also a Gen X. The HECS debt can be paid gradually over time through the tax system. I hardly noticed the fortnightly amount being taken out of my wage over the years to cover my debt - which is now fully paid off.

Initially, I too went without luxuries - new furniture, cars etc and put whatever money I could into buying property. Now I can basically buy whatever I want without having to worry about costs etc.

I found it was possible to invest and pay study debt off at the same time, but that is just my experience and obviously not everyone will find themselves in the same situation.

Last edited:
When hubby was studying, we scrimped and scraped to pay up front and get the discount. Didn't hurt us in the long run, but gee it hurt at the time, knowing we were on baked beans for the next week due to having to pay HECS :eek:.

When hubby was studying, we scrimped and scraped to pay up front and get the discount. Didn't hurt us in the long run, but gee it hurt at the time, knowing we were on baked beans for the next week due to having to pay HECS :eek:.

These days the HECS discount is only ~10%. So it's not really worth doing this.

Hecs

Hiya

The Chinese lady at the local takeaway has 4 daughters; she pays the uni fees for the eldest; when the eldest starts work she pays for the fees for the next younger daughter and so on down the line...the youngest will pay mum back!

Every daughter starts their career DEBT FREE:p

She swears it works and keeps the family unit very tight!! BRILLIANT:eek:

Hiya

The Chinese lady at the local takeaway has 4 daughters; she pays the uni fees for the eldest; when the eldest starts work she pays for the fees for the next younger daughter and so on down the line...the youngest will pay mum back!

Every daughter starts their career DEBT FREE:p

She swears it works and keeps the family unit very tight!! BRILLIANT:eek:

Not really, cause they either have to pay back the next daughter or the mother.

Back in the olden days

These type of comments have been a fixture for sometime to articles about housing. Nothing new here. With the explosion of social media and interactivity of newspapers, anyone can comment on anything. Bit like on SS ;)

But to think this inter-generational conflict is something of a recent phenomenon is wrong. I recall the debate in the 80's, when existing home-owners had fixed interest rates (pre banking deregulation)in the vicinity of ~13%, whilst as has been mentioned on SS many times, interest rates climbed to well over 17-18% during the 80's for newer and often younger interest rates. One of the debates I often heard was it wasn't fair for younger homeowners to have such have IR compared to older more established home-owners who were paying less.

I am sure there were similar in the previous decades. When you are starting out with nothing, then financial independence, seems a long way away.

Back in the olden days, thankfully before we bought our first home in 1980, you had to have saved 33% of the purchase price of your house as the deposit. I was one of the lucky younger ones who got a house with a "never-before-heard-of" 10% deposit. Imagine the whining if the current generation had to save one- third deposit these days!

I suspect anyone older than myself wouldn't dare whine about their lot in life... My parents had the Second World War to contend with and my grandparents had the First World War and then the Great Depression.

Yes, whining has been around for a long time. In 1980 I was told by my co-workers how lucky (or deprived) I was for living in a 2-bedroom fibro box in a far-out suburb. They, on the other hand, whined about having to pay three times what we paid for their 4 bedroom, two-storey home "just like Daddy's and Mummy's".

I dont think much has changed........

Back