Bunch of jealous whiners

Ask the student if they think starting their career with such a debt is "not much".

HECS is an "optional" debt. When I was Uni age, the option didn't exist! If you didn't have a rich Daddy, you didn't go. No ifs, no buts. If you think this was a bit tough on the brainy guys, think how tough it was on the brainy gals. Rare was the Dad who was willing to pay for the education of some other guy's future wife.

If you don't believe that there is a deep, bitter intergenerational divide, go talk to a few BBs. Everything that isn't perfect is our fault and we are continually being told of this. I have personally copped age related abuse on this chat site.

My parents had the Second World War to contend with and my grandparents had the First World War and then the Great Depression.

My Dad fought in the 3rd Battle of Ypres, his young wife died in childbirth during the depression and then he still had to endure the second war. No one here would approve of his attitude towards money but I would hope you could understand it without being critical. :)

My Dad fought in the 3rd Battle of Ypres, his young wife died in childbirth during the depression and then he still had to endure the second war. No one here would approve of his attitude towards money but I would hope you could understand it without being critical. :)

Your dad sure had it tough. I can only guess from your post that your dad spent money rather than invested? If so, I could understand why.

My brother in law is an oncologist and he has a similar view of money - enjoy it now while you can. He sees many people whose time has been cut short by illness - but perhaps that is a topic for a separate thread.

Regards Jason.

Hiya

The Chinese lady at the local takeaway has 4 daughters; she pays the uni fees for the eldest; when the eldest starts work she pays for the fees for the next younger daughter and so on down the line...the youngest will pay mum back!

Every daughter starts their career DEBT FREE:p

She swears it works and keeps the family unit very tight!! BRILLIANT:eek:

Brilliant... :confused:

The ones working are paying for the younger siblings debt.

It might not technically be their debt, but it's still a debt - that they are paying for at the start of their career, just like a HECS debt.

Why not just pay the HECS?

Weg, if you try really hard, you can ski through a revolving door (pity is, there are none at my favoured resort otherwise there'd be plenty of punters who'd try).

It might not technically be their debt, but it's still a debt - that they are paying for at the start of their career, just like a HECS debt.

Your attitude is great Weg if you believe in the nuclear family. :eek: There are other "minority" groups in Aus who work this way and it works well for them. These are communities who, culturally, know there is no free lunch.

You seem to be advocating a free uni education, with the graduate entitled to a life of luxury ever after.

Weg, if you try really hard, you can ski through a revolving door (pity is, there are none at my favoured resort otherwise there'd be plenty of punters who'd try).

I believe you can drive through, but seriously unless you're a Terminator or Road Runner you can't ski through :).

funny-car-crashes-0.jpg

Your attitude is great Weg if you believe in the nuclear family. :eek: There are other "minority" groups in Aus who work this way and it works well for them. These are communities who, culturally, know there is no free lunch.

You seem to be advocating a free uni education, with the graduate entitled to a life of luxury ever after.

How am I advocating a free uni education, with the graduate entitled to a life of luxury ever after? I'm not advocating anything of the sort.

Just stating you're paying for it in much the same way, except it sounds messy, not brilliant.

If I missed something obvious, please enlighten me.

Ask the student if they think starting their career with such a debt is "not much".

Its just delayed gratification isn't it. They will be rewarded when they are earning the big dollars and the start-up costs wont seem so bad.

How am I advocating a free uni education, with the graduate entitled to a life of luxury ever after? I'm not advocating anything of the sort.

Just stating you're paying for it in much the same way, except it sounds messy, not brilliant.

If I missed something obvious, please enlighten me.

I must have misread you, sorry. We seem to agree that HECS is neither good nor bad, merely an option. To use it to get an education and then whinge about paying it back is hypocritical. If you don't want a debt, don't borrow.

Just don't expect us oldies (Uni was simply beyond our reach) to shout you a degree.

Hecs

Hiya

I think it has to do with some discounts if you don't wait until after graduation to pay if off ...that is why the family structured it that way:)

Hecs

Hiya

In my country , parents' super can be used to pay for HECS....all my siblings and i started our career debt free...(plus most of my friends!)

I have to add that it is limited to 1 undergrad degree (no postgrad or multiple degrees) plus uni fees are not as extortionate as here apparently???

Hiya

In my country , parents' super can be used to pay for HECS....all my siblings and i started our career debt free...(plus most of my friends!)

I have to add that it is limited to 1 undergrad degree (no postgrad or multiple degrees) plus uni fees are not as extortionate as here apparently???

so - did you pay your parents back their hard earned retirement super?

HECS is an "optional" debt. When I was Uni age, the option didn't exist! If you didn't have a rich Daddy, you didn't go. No ifs, no buts. If you think this was a bit tough on the brainy guys, think how tough it was on the brainy gals. Rare was the Dad who was willing to pay for the education of some other guy's future wife.

If you don't believe that there is a deep, bitter intergenerational divide, go talk to a few BBs. Everything that isn't perfect is our fault and we are continually being told of this. I have personally copped age related abuse on this chat site.

Well get ready, because here it comes again... ;)

When you were uni age, huh? Wow, I never knew there was an age limit on education....... I turned 30 in my first year at Uni and have since gone onto complete a graduate degree..... and yes, I am still probably young by your measure but was still far older than my Uni classmates.

I actually have friends that didn't start until their 40's & know that some people even start in retirement! It is never too late to explore a dream or a passion. Too old... :rolleyes: You are only too old if you choose that as a convenient excuse. :D

Now, as for all the fuss about HECs and Uni fees.... Yeah, it is expensive, but there are other ways to get a degree other than paying with $. Such options are generally unpalatable to the whiners though, as in my experience they even whine about the alternatives ;)

I must have misread you, sorry. We seem to agree that HECS is neither good nor bad, merely an option. To use it to get an education and then whinge about paying it back is hypocritical. If you don't want a debt, don't borrow.

Just don't expect us oldies (Uni was simply beyond our reach) to shout you a degree.

That's OK... thought you might have misread.

As long as you pay for it, I couldn't care less when you started uni or how long you plan to stay in uni for. User pays system. Fair.

The alternative would be to subsidise education even more. But the Government doesn't want to pay nor has the money to pay, so we need to bring in more international students who pay full fees (the statistics I've read suggest that every international student subsidises around 2 Australian students). But then people start complaining about how international students are taking up a local student's spot.

Either way, it's a zero-sum game.

Of course it is. Who the hell are we to even ask,. lete alone pass judgement

How is it any of lizzie's or any one else's business ?

Gossip for the sake of gossip anyone ?

Actually, it is a fair question. It exposes the potential for children to take advantage of their parents good will. Dipping into Super is quite different to helping out with cash savings.... the compounding attrition could be huge.

I've already allocated funds for my son to attend Uni or Trade school or whatever he chooses. But he will pay it back.... then when it is paid back, I will gift it to him as an investment or deposit on a house. But it won't be coming out of any super account, even if it was an option.

Hiya

I think it has to do with some discounts if you don't wait until after graduation to pay if off ...that is why the family structured it that way:)

The fault and messiness I see with the system is... for the small discount...

mum paid Social Worker daughter (the least well paid of the qualified children) the 18K fees, who now pays the Architect sibling her 30K fees, who pays the Nursing sibling's 18K fees, who pays the Doctor sibling's fees of >50K, who pays the mum's 18K.

That's assuming there's no overlaping of Uni (one has started, while the other is still there) and no changing of courses midway/double degrees, etc, in the mix to complicate things further.

Last edited:
Back