Butterfly Roofs? Why arent there more

I am planning on building with a skillion roof.

Probably two roofs (or rooves to be traditional) slanting in opposite directions.

I don't imagine these would give the dramas of the butterfly style pictured above but would appreciate any advice from the experts.

Cheers,

simon, check out 66 queens rd newlambton next time you are over that way, it was a traditional pitched roof and is now the style i think you are talking about.

No, he was referring to the builders and buildings, not land.

Wouldn't going without eaves allow houses of a larger floorspace to be packed closer together (like you see in the new estates where they almost touch) for a given land width and backyard size?

For a given building width, assuming a wall length of 15 metres each side and an eave length of 50cm, the total increased floor area possible would be 7.5 m2 ie a study or extra bathroom.

simon, check out 66 queens rd newlambton next time you are over that way, it was a traditional pitched roof and is now the style i think you are talking about.

I know the place - it looks like a completely different home.

I just live around the corner from it.

Cheers,

Wouldn't going without eaves allow houses of a larger floorspace to be packed closer together (like you see in the new estates where they almost touch) for a given land width and backyard size?

For a given building width, assuming a wall length of 15 metres each side and an eave length of 50cm, the total increased floor area possible would be 7.5 m2 ie a study or extra bathroom.

Certainly one way to look at it. In most cases you need a setback anyway from the fence line. Fire codes and what not.... I suppose it depends on what an individual council refers to as the starting point of the house for the setback.

Skillions are great.. And so are eaves. Its a shame low cost builders in perth excel in the removal of these. Like the butterfly, its very strange to see a house without eaves. Damn low cost builders on there cost cutting. :)

actually - it's low cost trades that can't build eaves with something as simple as a soldier tom.

with the dumbing down of our trades, we get abortions in design.

setbacks?

open space calcs?

BCA energy efficiency calcs?

$ per sqm added?

I'm not sure if you're trolling or not or just genuinely misunderstood this thread.

The statement was simply that builders were removing eaves to save costs. My comment was, eaves are cheaper.

If you're comparing the same house, with the same floor plan, but decided to build one with 500mm eaves and the other without, the house with the 500mm eaves would be cheaper to build. The extra 3c of brickwork + lintels is more expensive than the larger roof area and eaves lining.

I hope that clears this up... if not, troll away!

What appears to be being overlooked is that narrow eaves are a valid architectural style, from memory, dating back to the 1700's and known as Georgian style architecture.

:cool:

actually - it's low cost trades that can't build eaves with something as simple as a soldier tom.

with the dumbing down of our trades, we get abortions in design.

agreed.. Architectual excellence is alot more difficult to find in Perth then it should be. Such a shame...ah well. Ill see if i can keep a higher standard when i eventually build.

Georgian style of no eaves also incorporates a lot of corbelling, interesting gutter profiles or none at all.

"tuscan masterpieces" are bollocks.

I'm about to put a big extention onto my existing home, an extra 131 sq metres of living space and extra bedroom. But I'm having trouble with the basix regulations. Weird.

It will all be hip roof with big eves, except for one east facing end that is a gable roof. Galvo metal roof. Verandas right along the west and north. All the new windows and doors are double glazed. Full insulation. Apparently the basix doesn't like my one gable roof I want? But the roof is right beside a great big claret ash tree that gives full shade in summer and 90% sun in winter.

I already have solar hot water. I store 75,000 litres of rain water plus hundreds of thousands of litres from the sheds, and have great bore water for the garden, the bore has never gone dry, or even dropped in water level even in the biggest drought. But my plans are getting knocked back?

I have no idea how all these new houses with black roofs and no eves, or the even sillier butterfly roof houses get through basix? The rules are city based of course. Your supposed to put the rain water down the toilet and use grey water and crap, but that is irrelivant to me if I have unlimited water out here. I'll look into it today and find out what the problem is. Perhaps it's my couple of acres of lawn?

See ya's.

Back