Buy assets or lose your money

Does this mean we are heading into an inflationary period and those with hard assets and debt will see that debt inflated away?

Pressure to pass on full rate reduction
Article from: Herald Sun

George Lekakis

March 30, 2009 12:00am

THE MAJOR banks are aggressively repricing their deposit books ahead of next week's expected rate cut by the Reserve Bank.

With the political pressure mounting on all banks to pass on the full benefit of further easings of monetary policy, two of the major banks have taken drastic steps to protect their funding margins by slashing deposit rates.

From this morning, National Australia Bank will slash the rate it pays on three month fixed term deposits from 4.2 per cent to 2.1 per cent.

The NAB move comes after more aggressive repricing by Commonwealth Bank in recent weeks in which it slashed its three month fixed term deposit rate from 4.2 per cent to 1.5 per cent.

According to market research firm, Infochoice, CBA has also crunched its one year fixed rate offer to 1.5 per cent from 3.5 per cent.

The dramatic repricings by CBA and NAB follow recent comments by the chief executives of both banks that they may not be able to pass on the full benefits of additional official rate cuts.

On March 17 CBA chief Ralph Norris cast doubt on how much his bank would be able to pass on to borrowers if the RBA cuts again.

"We can't guarantee that we will pass on the full rate reduction as a pass through," he said.

"Certainly there has been at times some improvement, but at the moment we are still seeing rates for international funding eight to 10 times higher than at the start of the crisis."

However the slashing of deposit rates could be political dynamite for the banks if they elect not to pass on next week's expected official cut.

Westpac and ANZ have also lowered short term fixed rates on their deposit products in the last month but their repricings have been more subdued.

With wholesale funding pressures continuing to weigh on lenders, the major banks are reviewing their rates on all deposit products as part of overall programs to contain costs.

So far this year all of the big banks have slashed the rates they pay on internet saver accounts which have become a key market segment through which to acquire customers.

These internet-only accounts, such as CBA's Netsaver and NAB's iSaver, were paying monthly interest of around 7 per cent towards the end of last year, but now deliver a monthly return of only 3 per cent to existing customers.

ANZ continues to be a price leader in this segment among the major banks, maintaining its online saver rate at 4 per cent.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,25259667-664,00.html

Thats gotta hurt those that thought saving was the way to go.

Dave

wealth confiscation.

receive less interest than inflation - there's no way to keep up.

those CF+ deals are looking better and better every day.

For the last 12-18 months cash has ben king. Only carefully selected assets have bettered it, but with those interest rates many will decide it's time to take the cash and spend it.

Boatboy:
Does this mean we are heading into an inflationary period and those with hard assets and debt will see that debt inflated away?

This is the only reason I haven't sold my IPs. If I were to do so I would have to find somewhere else to invest. I'm content in the share market and could show you dozens of charts of stocks which have had very good half years but many here aren't. FWIW I'm starting a process of accumulation, buying on dips, but i wouldn't like to have to commit a lump at a time that isn't my choosing ie When a property settles.

Based on this type of thing Dave, I'm having some very interesting chats with alot of cash-up elderly folks, whose unshakeable faith in simple deposits with the big Banks is being shaken up.

Banks give them 2%. Banks charge me 6%. There's alot of room to manouvre. The Bank's margin is very fat.

Sitting down with the elderly folk and splitting the difference, so I pay them 4% and they receive 4% off me might work just tickety-boo. They have been so beaten up by the Banks, that it won't take much to encourage them to talk with me.

Why do we need the Banks ??

As I have been said previously there are several options for savers. One of the first assets you would look to buy after housing is gold (I think gold is still cheap compare to house price), then you can buy corporate bonds that have a better yield then mortgages and often is even safer, for expample a corporate bond of BHP in US$ have a yield of around 5.5% for 5 year term and 6.5% for 10 year term (a 10 year term mortgage in US has less then 5% yield). Then you also have the option to buy shares and definetly shares are cheaper then property in Australia. You also have the option to buy state bonds or gov bonds but still not a very good yield considering the inflation in Australia.Then you have my favourite option to invest or put the money in a deposit or gov-corporate bonds that is not in AU$.
In any case UK is in a worse situation then Australia (I used to say was NZ but it is not anymore). So if UK destabilise and inflation and currency get out of control I would run out of the AU$ and AU banks deposit too.

Hi, sure does. I just did that last month. borrowed $170000 @ 9.5%

Using half of it to zerorise tax. Spent $50000 to save $12000.

Now scratching my head what to do with the excess $120000.

KY

As I have been said previously there are several options for savers. One of the first assets you would look to buy after housing is gold (I think gold is still cheap compare to house price)

Gold doesn't offer much of a yield though. Pretty hard to store significant quantities of it safely too.

And the gold price might be in a bubble already...

au75-pres.gif

National Australia Bank will slash the rate it pays on three month fixed term deposits from 4.2 per cent to 2.1 per cent
That's a bit misleading. Yes, the 3 month term deposit is now 2.1%, but the 4 month one is still 3.4%.

Still not great, but not quite what they make it sound like.

GP

That's a bit misleading. Yes, the 3 month term deposit is now 2.1%, but the 4 month one is still 3.4%.

Still not great, but not quite what they make it sound like.

GP

Yeah, but the headline is likely to sell more papers than "Bank rolls headline rates on term deposits to new terms, as they do every couple of weeks".

Gold doesn't offer much of a yield though. Pretty hard to store significant quantities of it safely too.
http://66.38.218.33/LFgif/au75-pres.gif

Gold might be in a bubble already? Are you frickin kidding me Shadow? $200 above a 30 year old high and it's looking a little toppy to you is it? :rolleyes:

Define stored safely...a safety deposit box at a bank is not very expensive. Alternatively there are plenty of paper options.

au75-pres.gif

Sorry Shadow but I don't like that chart (it is not casual that start in 1975), if you look at the inflation adjusted chart a bubble of gold was in 1980.
Here is a few charts you can add in your folder...:D
gold-price-2006-dollars-760170.gif.jpg
dow gold.gif
dow gold chart.jpg
I haven't got those for the AU market or gold compare to property.
Anyhow, gold is attractive as you don't pay capital gain on it.
disclaimer:
I don't have phisical gold holding investments

Gold doesn't offer much of a yield though.

This really gets up my nose!

I have been a contributing member here for four or five years (someone will check so I don't need to. LOL) and for most of that time the path to wealth and early retirement was defined as using OPM via neg gearing.

Members here have confessed to being $1k/m neg geared but suddenly everybody has dollars coming out of their ears. Give me a break! You can store an awful lot of gold (allocated) at Perth Mint for that sort of money.

I wish you guys wouldn't keep moving the goal-posts.

Gold is not an investment product. Period.

You can take a view on price and trade the stuff or derivatives thereof, fine, but it has no place in an investment portfolio.

Gold is not an investment product. Period.

You can take a view on price and trade the stuff or derivatives thereof, fine, but it has no place in an investment portfolio.

I disagree. But even if you are correct it is the only insurance policy i know of that doesn't decrease to zero a year after you buy it. In fact, if you never make a claim on it you can give it to the grand kids.

From the bottom of my heart I believe every careful investor should have at least a month's wages in readily accessible, easily identified bullion coin. As I said, if you don't need it, it's still there later.

Back