Buying a car - how much to spend?

Don't buy either.

The '08 model has way too many K's for it's age.

The '00 model is too old and approaching the age of many dollars to be spent, and who knows what's wrong with it now that you can't (and won't) see.

Fair points but the cars linked are just examples of what is around.

I'd go a Camry if it went on the beach. Or maybe that's the Rav which does that.

BayView, can you give a ball park quote for a head gasket replacement on the flat four vs say a conventional straight 4?

(I know what our local dealer is quoting BTW - be interested at your guesstimate)

The Y-man

Head gaskets are never a simple price quote. We never give a firm quote on any job in this game, because anything can go wrong during a job. Ballpark estimates are as good as you'll get from me.

We get folk trying to pin me down to a firm price every other day...:rolleyes:

You often have other associated issues with the main symptom (blown head gasket); often the cooling system is clagged with rust/silt/scale etc, which has often caused an overheat which causes the head gasket to blow, and/or head to crack.

Not to mention that the heads themselves could also be cracked, so they need to be tested and if cracked; either repaired or replaced.

So, then you are looking at a new radiator or at least a professional clean, an new thermostat and coolant as well, maybe new plugs and filters.

The ball-park figure on this job would be somewhere between $1600 and $2.5k, including the very good likelihood of the cooling system add-ons.

How's that for a firm quote? ;)

We did one on an old Mazda bravo a coupla weeks ago: $2100 but it needed sparkplugs and a few other bits and bobs. It was a completely new head which was needed in the end.

The ball-park figure on this job would be somewhere between $1600 and $2.5k, including the very good likelihood of the cooling system add-ons.

How's that for a firm quote? ;)

We did one on an old Mazda bravo a coupla weeks ago: $2100 but it needed sparkplugs and a few other bits and bobs. It was a completely new head which was needed in the end.

Good on you for sticking your neck out :)

One dealer quoted $3.5k as a starting point, and 10 days off the road.

The Y-man

if you have $40,000 to buy a car, i recommend the following.

spend $10,000 on a good second hand car.

spend the remaining $30,000 running the car for the next 8 years, including $5000 on depreciation.

as opposed to

buying a $40,000 car.

spend $5000 per year running the car for the next 8 years and spend $20,000 on depreciation.

long term wealth preservation begins with your choices.

one option costs you $45,000 for 8 years.

the other option costs you $100,000 for 8 years.

Well either 10k or 30k it will be financed. I've got the cash but it's staying in the bank for now. I've been looking at the approx cashflow figures....

10k vehicle, 5 yr contract
- $2,500 repayments pa

30k vehicle, 5 yr contract
- $6,700 repayments pa

Fuel, rego, insurance is the same for both vehicles.

Repayments differ by 4.2k.

Repairs differ by ?????

RedPanda said:
How many kms do you think you'll do per year?
How many years do you intend to keep the car?

15,000 km pa

Car will be kept for 10 years if I get the exxy one, or 5 yrs if I go el cheapo.

Car will be kept for 10 years if I get the exxy one, or 5 yrs if I go el cheapo.
Can you imagine if you had had a bet each way and bought a near new Ford Taurus? You'd scrap it as soon as possible because it is the most ugly car ever built.

Style, comfort and power last long after the price is forgotten.

And no way am I driving a heap of junk [or catching the bus which goes past my door]. Life is too short for that.

I'll have to edit that. My Mitsi van IS a pile of junk, or at least I thought so until my son swapped a Mercedes van for my outgoing Honda. The radio is superfluous, you can't hear it over the engine noise.

I've had a great run with my 1996 hyundai excel hatch! I bought it brand new and have had no problems with it. Hoping for a few more good years out of it! I dont think I'll buy brand new again, will prob get a 1 year old, but buying brand new isn't such a bad thing to do as long as you keep it forever like me.

Mine will be 16 years old in May has done about 130,000 Km. I'll just hang on to it till it dies or gets written off or something haha. I dont see any point in me upgrading when the car is doing the job. It gets me from a to b. The only thing is it isn't as safe as a newer car but it doesn't really bother me atm.

I justify the purchase of newer/better cars by telling myself that it's safer so is the right thing to do by myself! :D

But I think it's a serious issue that a lot of us consider to neglect when purchasing a car.

I've had a great run with my 1996 hyundai excel hatch! I bought it brand new and have had no problems with it. Hoping for a few more good years out of it! I dont think I'll buy brand new again, will prob get a 1 year old, but buying brand new isn't such a bad thing to do as long as you keep it forever like me.

Mine will be 16 years old in May has done about 130,000 Km. I'll just hang on to it till it dies or gets written off or something haha. I dont see any point in me upgrading when the car is doing the job. It gets me from a to b. The only thing is it isn't as safe as a newer car but it doesn't really bother me atm.

That's not a lot of km's !

New cars are so cheap these days. The prices really have not gone up much in the last 15 years.

A 1997 holden commodore executive new price was $32340 +orc. That equated to about one years salary.
Today you can buy a Holden Commodore SV6 http://www.discountnewcars.com.au/holden/holden-commodore-ve-series-ii-sv6-sedan-4dr-3-6i-hold11cl.aspx for $35990 drive away. That equates to just over 6 months salary.

It may not be an appreciating asset, but since you need it for work, it is a income producing asset and therefore tax deductible.

To me its a no brainer, get new or at least near new.

Using the above logic, I have just purchased a Jaguar (pick it up today:)) for about the same real dollar cost of my old Commodore VS that I bought new in 1995, about one years salary. Sure it will depreciate, but thats tax deductable and I get to drive the car of my dreams rather than a "settle for".

A couple of years ago I bought a '97 Landcruiser (standard diesel). Spent a couple of thousand on maintenance (all done at home) and will hold onto it for a very long time I think- has 270,000km now but is still a teenager in Landcruiser terms. We go 4WDing and on remote trips fairly regularly so reliability is very important. Best of all it hasn't depreciated a bit!

However, a big car is quite expensive to maintain compared to a little one. I'd be tempted to look at Nissans (Xtrail or similar)- have owned both Nissans (Pulsar & Xtrail) and Subarus (1800 wagon & Lseries wagon) and found the Nissans to be more reliable and cheaper to maintain & fix.

If I had the budget, I'd still be really tempted to upgrade to a 1-2 year old car that came all new and shiny and with a warranty and not many km on it. That way you know the service history etc which you don't really get when purchasing an older car. It really depends on how long you want to hold onto it and how much you want to spend and whether your needs are likely to change in the future- too many variables IMO!

Might be a good time to post this:

What your car says about you.

Alfa Romeo: Maintenance isn't an issue - it's a lifestyle.
Aston Martin DB7: What do you mean 'It's a Ford Mondeo?
Audi A4: What do you mean 'It's a Volkswagen?'
BMW X5: Indicators? What indicators?
BMW X3: I couldn't afford an X5.
BMW X1: I couldn't afford an X3.
Chrysler 300C: I am a pimp.
Citroen C6: I am completely different.
Daihatsu Charade: I deliver pizzas.
Fiat 500: I am cute. I love cute things.
Ford Falcon: My company makes me drive it.
Holden Commodore: Mine also!
Holden Monaro: I don't have kids. Really.
Honda Jazz: I am pragmatic and boring.
Hyundai Excel X3: If my rear fog light is on, nobody is home.
Hyundai Grandeur: I remember Menzies.
Jaguar XJ6: My parking bay is my mechanic's hoist.
Jeep Wrangler: I like to drive around topless.
Lexus: I yearn for status. I really wanted a Mercedes.
Mazda MX-5: I have no fear of semi-trailers.
MGB: I am dating a mechanic.
Mitsubishi Colt: I think I'm hip.
Peugeot 308: I am a little bit different.
Porsche Panamera: I am devoid of any fashion sense.
Proton: I am devoid of any sense.
Saab Convertible: I am a trophy wife.
Skoda: I operate a lathe and enjoy beer.
SssangYong: I drive a what...?
Subaru WRX: I moonlight as a rally driver.
Toyota Avalon: My previous car was a Volvo.
Toyota Camry: I am still in the closet.
Toyota Corolla: Please don't notice me.
Volkswagen Beetle: I watch Partridge Family reruns.
Volkswagen Convertible: I am out of the closet.
Volkswagen Kombi: I am tripping right now.
Volvo: All the other drivers are out to get me!

Note this one,

Jaguar XJ6: My parking bay is my mechanic's hoist. :D

10 year old 6 cylinders work well for me. I currently have a commie with all the bells and whistles, 180k on the clock, presents and drives very well, dare I say as new and cost under $4k.
It doesn't have a GPS but I have this thing called a UBD.

Next car I get will be a sportswagon. I'm thinking Hyundai sportswagon! so I can pop my bike in the back. Lots of bicyling adventures!! :D I'd love to buy it now but wont cos I still can get a few more years out of my 16 year old. Mums got the sportswagon and loves it. Its not a bad little car and not too expensive either. :)

10 year old 6 cylinders work well for me. I currently have a commie with all the bells and whistles, 180k on the clock, presents and drives very well, dare I say as new and cost under $4k.
It doesn't have a GPS but I have this thing called a UBD.

I'm with you. Mine cost $1200. only repairs I've had to do is pull out the sagging roof liner (obviously also oil changes - if you pay someone else to change you oil, you're a mug. If you don't do oil changes at every 10000 max, you're a bigger mug)

My last car cost me $800 and I drove it for 5 years. It needed new tires once, which I got for under $200 for the full set.

Don't be scared of older cars. Don't believe people who tell you you'll spend every weekend and every spare dollar fixing them. My $800 probably costs less than your full set of tires. If it dies, I get a new one, and I'm still way ahead of somebody with a brand new car.

Insurance is cheap, stress is minimised.

In saying that, I don't use my car for work and get no tax deductions or car allowance. If i did, I'd probably go for something 1 or 2 years old, same reasoning as AdamN.

I would go for a Suzuki Grand Vitara. I was asking the same question 18 months ago. I ended up getting side-tracked and purchased a 2 year old Holden Captiva Maxx instead, and then after spending all the $$$ couldn't bear to drive it on the beach. Ended up Beach driving with friends with 4 wds instead. I sold that car late last year and bought a 1997 Ford Fairmont Ghia EL with 80,000 k's for $3,500. I'm loving it!!!

I'm in an opposite position. Last year I purchased a brand new 2011 Toyota Corolla hatchback. I was going to use it mainly to run a new photography business. But I have new plans now as I plan to travel overseas to live for 2 years or more. Now I have a car with only 6,000 kms and still with the 6 year warranty but I lose so much if I sell it :( I'm thinking of de-registering it for 2 years and parking it in my garage and have the tenant (a friend) to start it up once a month. I was thinking of leasing it out but drivemycar have been full of promises but little action and besides I don't trust people driving my car as carefully as me but if I was to lease it for 3 years it would be nearly paid for. I would rather sell it though.

Back