Buying dev sites if you never intend to develop

If you don't intend on developing, what's the value in buying a development site? Would it make more sense to buy a standard residential zoned site and get better yields?

No I don't think you're right. You're buying based on potential - you don't necessarily need to be the person that realises that potential. For example if they rezoned a property to high rise, and you had an opportunity to get something early while everyone was unaware, would you pass up the chance to buy something that will go up 2x - 10x in a very short time frame? You may not have the capability or financing to build the high rise but you'll be damn well rewarded for identifying the opportunity before everyone else.

Yield is a different question entirely. Yield is about how you keep afloat in the mean time. It's no different from a low yield high CG property VS high yield low CG property. If you buy a property that's $1000k p/m cash flow negative after rent, what's the difference between that and a vacant block of land that had $0 rent but is still $1000k p/m cash flow negative?

And the end of the day it all comes down to value. Is a house good value? Is an empty block good value?

Sorry, I didn't phrase that clearly. I mean more like buying a house that is on land that is already zoned for medium/high density. You're not going to get that huge jump in value when it goes from low to medium/high.

It's still a question of potential future value, regardless of how much it's already gone up (the past is the past).

Say property A rockets up 90% when it is rezoned to medium, as you say. Property B has had no growth. Who's to say property A won't rocket up another 90%? There are no laws to say property B must go up simply because it hasn't moved in a while.

The biggest short term gains I see tend to be from rezoning. The property that hasn't had the rezoning could be argued as having the better chance of future rezoning between the two and possibly more likely to outperform the other in the short to medium term. I'm assuming same suburb, same house, different zoning. Thoughts?

Back