buying in a cresent

What are your thoughts of buying a property in a cresent? I think cresents and cul-de-sac's are more preferrable than roads and streets because they are generally quieter with less road traffic. Your thoughts?

I've heard a lot of people hate them - constant streams of cars that have found their way in and having to get out, driving the length of the culdesac x 2

It really depends on the house and location on the street.

I just moved last month and the new house is in a crescent and it is quiet and never hear a car drive past.

The house I lived in 1 month ago was a cresent but it was the last house which joined on to a main road heading into the city right next to traffic lights.

So total opposite of each other and 10 minutes apart.

I like it as i feel more secure. Don't have randoms going past your house. I've lived in three culdesacs. The smaller the better.

I've heard a lot of people hate them - constant streams of cars that have found their way in and having to get out, driving the length of the culdesac x 2

I've never ever heard that.

I believe, everything else being equal, that a cul de sac, court etc is far more desirable. Will be more attractive and attract a price premium(sales) to a normal street. However I don't believe tenants will pay much, if anything more for a court.

I like it as i feel more secure. Don't have randoms going past your house. I've lived in three culdesacs. The smaller the better.

I've read that courts have a lower burglary rate. If you're robbing a house you want multiple escape routes, a court only provides one. A corner block provides three.

To be honest, there's no general rule of thumb about crescents. Some are well positioned and are quieter. Others will be main thoroughfares as they'll link main roads together.

Just because a crescent is quiet/busy won't make it desirable either.

Take Inner, Middle and Outer Crescent in Brighton for example. This is a highly desirable area even though it has schools and traffic flowing through it regularly.

1001465_592970957403619_969525631_n.jpg

It is well situated, well serviced and properties are tightly held in this pocket known as the "Bermuda Triangle".

On the other hand look at Wakley Crescent, Wantirna South. This crescent is reasonable quiet but is poorly serviced and close enough to the East Link for traffic noise to travel on wet days. This area was also a part of a 1980's display village so it lacks architectural diversity which adds appeal and character to an area.

So in saying the above; you'll have people that prefer crescents, people that don't and people that don't care.

In summary, don't focus on the street type, but more so its character, diversity, location, orientation, vegetation and appeal.

I live in a Court. In the past it was peaceful, when my son was young the kids from the court played cricket at the bottom etc. During that time the Court was full of families.

Time moves on ... now most blocks in adjoining streets have been redeveloped with town houses, units, etc., with lack of parking, so our court is now constantly full of cars, which are parked on both sides of the road, meaning even the garbage trucks can't get down on garbage day!!!! To get out of the driveway is a real orienteering exercise.

So it depends on where the court or crescent is situated.

Chris

I have never seen a court robbed either - maybe it's the fear of being judged.

We live in a cresent and there is little traffic. Probably because its only a short cresent of 20 or so houses (100m) and very far from a main road. A long cresent near a main road might lead to alot of traffic when people are lost.

Back