Buying PPOR in Epping NSW

Hi all

I’m looking to buy a PPOR house in Epping NSW with a budget of around 850k with a young family in mind. I understand with my budget I would not be getting anything walkable to the station.

Taking this into account, I have recently been looking in the area on the west side of the station. I have been driving around the area bounded by Pennant Parade, Carlingford Road, Midson Road and Plympton Road. Is anyone familiar with this area? I personally found the streets north of Ray Road to be quite peaceful with good blocks and good schools nearby. I want to hear what others think of this area in terms of lifestyle, capital growth and possibility of getting something around 850k. Obviously it is not near the station but I understand there are frequent buses to the station.

I would be looking for an original house on a decent block with my budget as I recently saw a renovated property sell in the area I described in the 900k’s. However I saw another property on a good block just across the border in Carlingford sell in the 700k’s. Does it affect property prices much when we are talking about properties around the Epping/Carlingford border?

Thank you all in advance.

I'm guessing you've considered it already, but just in case - is there any reason you need a 'good-sized' block? You could get something villa-sized within walking distance to the station for that price, which seems to me enough for a young family. If nothing else it'll save you time on the bus that you could be spending at home.

Hi,

Property prices drop alot once you go out of the Epping border and into Carlingford. Its probably more a historical thing, that the less well to do people lived there when I was growing up in the area. and the lack of publci transport.

We are currently selling 4 houses in Beecroft. The 2 below we expect to go for around the $800-$850 mark. Both are in a quiet street, bush views, which is an easy walk to the station (takes around 10-15 minutes). both on around 880m2.
there are another 2 properties in our line. But one is bigger, and expected to go for over $900K. the other is a small 3 bedda, which is a knock down rebuild.
Great area for kids, with the bush behind, and a big open backyard... I certainly enjoyed growing up there!

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-beecroft-107445591

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-beecroft-107445602

I'd pick Beecroft over Carlingford. Cheap houses are on main roads and close to all the power easements throughout Carlingford- hence their "bargain price tags". Best of luck with your search.

Thanks for all the replies.

I am looking for a good sized block as I am considering a knockdown rebuild in a few years time.

pennyk, I have taken a look at those properties though the proximity of the M2 concerns me. I am going to take a second look at these this weekend.

Jacque, Beecroft houses on the south side of the M2 (near the Epping border) are certainly more affordable and its something I will consider.

Last edited:
I would give carlingford a miss.. especially for a family with kids ( public transport is poor..)

You could pick up a townhouse/duplex in epping for that price and it would be in great streets (not on the main road).

Beecroft/chenltenham is a great area as it close to excellent schools ( yes i live there and im basis :) )
If your thinking of Beecroft- i would avoid Beecroft road ( main road).
I would consider Tristinia Way, Cassia Grove, End of Sutherland road and any side street off Murry farm road- they will all be within your budget + close enough walk to station and great for family.:)

Regards
Michael

Thanks for all the replies.

I am looking for a good sized block as I am considering a knockdown rebuild in a few years time.

pennyk, I have taken a look at those properties though the proximity of the M2 concerns me. I am going to take a second look at these this weekend.

Jacque, Beecroft houses on the south side of the M2 (near the Epping border) are certainly more affordable and its something I will consider.

I was looking at something like this:

http://www.domain.com.au/Property/For-Sale/House/NSW/Epping/?adid=2009002308

though its now sold. It's a compromise due to the irregular shaped land.

Gee buying a full double brick solid home and Knocking it down for a rebuild is a bit rich lol

If it's gonna be a rebuild just buy a weather board home- it's cheaper in purchase cost + demolish cost

Regards
Michael

there is reasonable amount of bush in between.
you can hear it from the backyard/ verandahs, but not inside. currently part of the sound barrier is down as well, with the road expansion.
I might pop in myself this weekend. I havent seen a number of the properties for a few years, cause they've been tenanted.

Epping?

Hiya

Yes, i concur with Michael; Carlingford is very hopscotch; it actually spreads over 3 parts; east and west of Carlingford Road and the other side of Pennant Hills Road near James Ruse High...

Epping? Bah! i would not like to live there; too many through roads to everywhere plus the prices have been pushed too high already by the HongKongers and the Chinese...

I bet you are aiming for the local high school Cheltenham right?

If so, i would go towards Beecroft and Cheltenham..however there is a very small section of Beecroft on MurrayFarm Road which is technically called Beecroft but is actually closer to Carlingford...prices are reasonable there and if you chose carefully, you can still walk to Beecroft Station (it is maybe a 25 min walk?)

The local school is Beecroft Primary (excellent ! my kids go there) and it still falls into the Cheltenham High School zone.

All the best (BTW i live in Pennant Hills walking distance to the station...check it out)

Ray White have listed one on 67 Boundary Road North Epping that may suit. It is on older style 3 bedrooms on a 835m2 block walking distance to the local shops, schools and bus on the opposite side of the road.

I would not go north/west of Epping station. By car, in peak hour, it is an absolute nightmare to travel to from the Macquarie Uni end or from the city. Yes, there is a train station, but there will be times where you will need to use a car and trust me, the traffic is RIDICULOUS. You really have to see it at peak hour. At least south of the station or suburbs next to it (eg: Eastwood or Denistone) have back routes, but to get through the station, you basically have 1 bridge and its painful to cross. I have always disliked Epping for this route, which is unavoidable.

Beecroft and Cheltenham are leafy suburbs but in my view suffer because from the city/uni, one still has to run (crawl?) the gauntlet through the Epping rail bridge.

Simple solution will be go for Marsfield, Eastwood or Denistone. All of these are top suburbs. Eastwood and Denistone have catchment areas to Denistone East Public School, which is a top school with excellent facilities and funding (check out MySchool website), and still in catchment or Cheltenham Girls.

Keep us updated on how you go.

CB

(I can't believe how similar the poster above me is!)

Back