Carlingford area for PPOR

Hi guys,

I have posted on previous thread about looking for PPOR in Ryde area. After going around there, I have found that the price for 3 bedroom house/townhouse is over my budget (max budget 700k incl purchasing costs). So, I decided to look around Carlingford area. I look through streetadvisor.com.au and they said Carlingford is a safe and quiet area. The only letdown is lack of public transport in Carlingford. However, I saw that few areas in Carlingford got few buses that goes to Epping.

I am interested to look around Marsden Road bordering to Epping area since they have 3 bedroom townhouse around 600k. On the Carlingford area close to Dundas, they also have 3 bedroom house with prices around 650k. What do you guys think of Carlingford ? Which area is better in terms of safety, CG and access to good school ? Is the side bordering Epping better than area close to Dundas ? I heard they have several housing comissions around Dundas Valley area.

Thank you guys. Any comments would be appreciated.

Carlingford does indeed have a train station; it's just that this station is on a line that offers infrequent services.

Carlingford

Hiya

My first rental was in Carlingford; had a young family then...one word HATED it:p

This morning i had to drive through it as my son goes to a school on Pennant Hills Road near Carlingford....

YOu want to know how bad transport is: drive down Pennant Hills Road at 8.30-9am unavoidable if you are taking the train from Epping which half of the people do as the Carlingford train station is hopeless...then there is the rat run through Carlingford that the Castle Hill people use to get to Epping /Parramatta; Oakes Road urggghhh i will absolutely be suicidal if i do that drive everyday...

You drive and park your car and observe; it was the DECIDING factor for me to move OUT of Carlingford....

Yes, I have checked the train line on Carlingford and it only stops at Clyde. It would be difficult to use that train service. The only way is to drive to Epping/Parramatta train station and as virgo said the traffic is bad during peak hour.

To be honest with you, I am a bit lost on which suburb I have to pick. My partner and I would like to live around north west area since we really like the area and have a different feel from eastern suburb where we live. Unfortunately, our budget (700k) will only allow us to find 2-3 bedroom townhouse around Carlingford area. I am also looking at Oatlands since it has great school around and closer to Parramatta, but I think it will have similar traffic problem as Carlingford (Pennant Hills Road).

Any suggestion guys on which suburb would be good to live in around northwest Sydney area (Epping, Ryde, Carlingford, Denistone) ?

Thank you.

How about Castle Hill? I currently live there and its fantastic. Pretty much everything you need is available locally, markets, shops, library, restaurants, parks, schools etc.

Only bad thing is transport via car, its hopeless if you have to drive to work. Otherwise the bus (m61, 610x) is great to get to the city. Air conditioned buses with seats that runs every 3 mins, only costing $3.60 a trip!

Driving through congested M2 is frustrating, but on the bus its quite enjoyful though as you can doze off or read books or play games to kill time

Where?

Hiya

I ended up in Pennant Hills; believe you me when i hve done all the research:p i would highly recommend any of the suburbs from Pennant Hills to Hornsby (follow that train line)...Hornsby is a very interesting suburb IMHO it will "gentrify" very quickly like Hurstville and the surrounding suburbs will do well...drive through these suburbs to get a feel...

We live on the Telopea / Oatlands / Dundas boarder, My wife drives the 15 - 18mins to Meadowbank and catches the express train into the city.

It takes me 30 to 40 mins to Concord most days, leaving home at 7.30

If they ever do the rail upgrade and join Carlingford to Epping (Tunnel is 70% complete they just never finished or fitted it out), then it should increase the value of properties along the currently pathetic line and help with intercity & northshore train travellers.

fingers cross for me

Dundas

Hiya

Have you seen that convenience shop opposite Dundas Train Station? the only one i have seen in the surrounds with iron grill bars around the cashier...and try hanging around THAT station in the evening...gives you the creeps...then go over the Dundas/Telopea library and the surrounding shops near Franklins (IGA now?) Notice all those housing commission apartments behind, in front, opposite....

Think about it: would you allow your daughter to walk home from the station alone? :eek:

Hi Frankie

You have a budget of max $700K and need a 3bed+ townhouse or house, in a safe area in the northwest region, away from HC stock and convenient to transport?

My picks:

Pennant Hills
Thornleigh/Normanhurst
Hornsby (though this may be too far for you?)
Castle Hill
Baulkham Hills
Cherrybrook (getting harder but doable)

I grew up in Carlingford and though it's changed (a lot!) it isn't all bad. You need to know which areas to stay away from, and the valley certainly has pockets that are less desirable than others. Yes the train line is a pain, having to change at Clyde, but lots of commuters still do it.

For your $$$ I'd be considering the above seriously- Castle Hill prices are moving rapidly upwards as residents in the area are also considering the impact of the NW Rail Link (tunnelling commencing next year) Depending on where you live in the Hills, city bus services are fairly good now as there's lots of extra buses been put on in recent years.

How about N.Strathfield, Canada bay or Fivedock area?

I agree to devank, All are good suburbs IMO, add concord, concord west to that list but doubt whether house\townhouse.

Recently in rhodes, there was a townhouse under 700K. You never know, there may be a diamond in the rubble.

Suburbs

Hi Frankie

You have a budget of max $700K and need a 3bed+ townhouse or house, in a safe area in the northwest region, away from HC stock and convenient to transport?

My picks:

Pennant Hills
Thornleigh/Normanhurst
Hornsby (though this may be too far for you?)
Castle Hill
Baulkham Hills
Cherrybrook (getting harder but doable)

Wow! my picks too and in the same order ::))

As my mother says..in Sydney it is all about LA TRAIN my dear.......and with population increase and congestion..need i say more...i look forward to the day i retire when i can dump my car and save 10K a year:)

Hornsby is far but has the rail connection.
The Concord West area is not a bad shout, nor is Rhodes. Both are on a dedicated train line.

Hills district is good for your budget level though you'll likely need a car; no rail there + limited bus services.

Thank you guys for the response.

jacque & virgo: I become interested to look around Pennant Hills area. It seems that they have decent houses within my budget. I will start looking at it on this Saturday. Is the capital growth in Pennant Hills good too ?

devank & ndpjai & Cameron: I never thought about that area because I thought they were definitely over my budget since they have million dollar houses in the area. Rhodes may still be possible but with all the unit developments over there, I am just worried about the oversupply of housing. I like Concord area since I work in Concord and always drove past Wellbank Road from North Strathfield to Zoeller Street. They really have nice houses over there.

A lot of options now but I think I will have to make decision on which are aI have to focus on searching.

Pennant Hills

Hi Frankie

http://news.domain.com.au/domain/re...nters-look-further-afield-20130215-2eifq.html

Pennant Hills is one of the suburbs recommended to buy in 2013:D

Look...IMHO if you have a young family or planning to have kids, you will NOT go wrong with Pennant Hills.....it is very safe, has a library, a train station, big blocks, great primary school, a bus interchange, great medical facilities, next to "exclusive" Beecroft, great Thai restaurants, ...in the afternoon, the train station is a buzz with high school kids as it is one of the major changeover points...

I have noticed more Asians moving in now...2 old houses on Bellamy Street pulled down and 2 new ones put up by a Chinese and an Indian family...and you know what they do to capital values right?:D

Hi Frankie

http://news.domain.com.au/domain/re...nters-look-further-afield-20130215-2eifq.html

Pennant Hills is one of the suburbs recommended to buy in 2013:D

Look...IMHO if you have a young family or planning to have kids, you will NOT go wrong with Pennant Hills.....it is very safe, has a library, a train station, big blocks, great primary school, a bus interchange, great medical facilities, next to "exclusive" Beecroft, great Thai restaurants, ...in the afternoon, the train station is a buzz with high school kids as it is one of the major changeover points...

I have noticed more Asians moving in now...2 old houses on Bellamy Street pulled down and 2 new ones put up by a Chinese and an Indian family...and you know what they do to capital values right?:D

Thank you, virgo. Yes, I think it's worth to have a look at the suburb since they have quite decent houses. But I think I will get 2/3 bedroom townhouse with my current budget. I am interested to look for Castle Hill too. Are there any streets that I need to avoid at Pennant Hills and Castle Hills area ?

Pennant Hills/Castle Hill

Hiya

When you look at houses for these two suburbs, you would notice that for the same price you generally get a nicer, newer house in Castle Hill...the same goes for Cherrybrook.

What you compromise though is TRANSPORT..so that is the FIRST thing you have to decide....

In Pennant Hills, i would avoid Victoria Road areas as to get out in the morning you can't avoid Bellamy and/or Pennant Hills Road in the morning and that REALLY SUCKS! as you are colliding with people from Cherrybrook/Castle Hill doing their rat runs...

OF course it goes without saying i would avoid anything on Pennant Hills Road or anything under power lines...

Pennant Hills is not big so most houses you shd be able to walk to station.

Check out Thorn Street you might get something in your budget but be warned it will not be shiny:eek:

Hi virgo,

Thank you for your comments. I think there are not many houses that I can get in Pennant Hills with my current budget but I definitely can get townhouse for sure. Our plan is to live in there for 3-4 years and we may be thinking of moving to overseas or other places after that. So, we are thinking to rent the house after 3 -4 years. Do you think it will have good prospect as a rental property in Pennant Hills/Castke Hill area ?

Transport is one of the issue that I have been thinking of since Pennant Hills got the rail line and Castle Hill do not have it. However, it may change in the next two years if northwest rail line has been built up. I will go around for inspection on the next Saturday to get a feel of the area.

Cheers

Rentals

Hi Frankie

very easy; just check out how many houses for rent in these 2 suburbs...and for how much on real estate.com.au:p

Hi Frankie

very easy; just check out how many houses for rent in these 2 suburbs...and for how much on real estate.com.au:p

Hi virgo,

Yes of course I can always check the house for rent at realestate.com.au
Thank you for that.
Looking forward to go for the inspection. I will tell you how it goes...

Cheers

Back