Cairns Property Market -Fast Hotting Up

Dear Fellow Forumites,

1. The Cairns market is confirmed to be between 9-10 o-clock in a rising market and it is about to run its growth spurts soon.

The ground indicators, which I have personally observed in Cairns, while I was there since 1st July 2003, were as follows:

a. increasing land and house price, despite increasing construction activity.

b. construction costs for new houses are expected to increase significantly soon. (So new house prices are expected to further increase as a result. Be early to come to invest in new houses in order to cash-in on 1994 construction costs for your new houses before the present construction costs jump up in the near future.).

c. rising land and house sale prices and sale volumes.

d. very much reduced sale period for new houses. 6 months ago, it takes about 6-12 weeks for new houses to be sold off.Today, new houses coming into the market for sale are instantly snapped up the moment they are put into the market or sold off within less than 5 days period.

e. Some house prices for secondary resale market can/have increased by more than 100%, within a week after resale. People are going around snapping these presently "under-valued" properties and reselling them immediately after their price for huge capital gains.

g. sudden rental increase of 10-20% recently and very low vacancy rate of less than 2.9%. Lowest vacancy rate since the last 1994 boom.

2. The fundamentals for Cairns property market are believed to abe quite strong this time round:

a. strong demand arising from increasing population and tourist arrivals.

b. reducing employment which is lower than the Australia's national rate. This will promote more inter-state migration and temporary population inrease and housing demand.

c. highest concentration of rich people in Cairns, living their live style choices.

3. Personally, I do not think that a repeat of the market bust, following after the 1994 property boom, will be repeated in Cairns this time round as its present economic growth and underlying fundamentals are likely to be sustainable this time round.

3. I have specially flown into Cairns from Singapore since 1st July 2003, to personally check out and verify the actual market situation on the ground, having followed the discussion in this forum recently.

4. And having done my research earlier over the internet from Singapore,closely followed the discussion in this forum and have walked the ground, I am now fully satisified and convinced that the Cairns market is about to take off very soon over the next 1-2 months period, with very quick significant price increases to be expected.

5. Consequently, my wife and I have already positioned ourselves into this market, by signing up to purchase 2 apartments at the Meridian Holiday apartment and Sanur Villa apartment projects with the Hedley Group, at A$400,000 and A$215,000 respectively. We have also further put 2 other contracts for a 1 x 4-bedroom house at Trinity Lake at A$221,660 and another piece of land there at A$50,000.

6. Thus, I will encourage each of you to consider investing into the rising Cairns property market, ASAP. Do not hestitate further, lest the house price will run up signficantly before you get invested.

7. Please note that I will also be getting my fellow investors from Singapore to join me into investing into the Cairns property market ASAP as I return to Singapore on 27th July 2003.

8.For those who are interested or/and have other personal queries, you can contact me personally at my Australian mobile TEL: 0418758123 or contact me via my email at my email at [email protected].

9. Please note that suitable 3/4-bedroom houses investment properties will probably cost about A$220,000-$320,000 price and each investor will need to fork out some A$50,000-A$70,000 cash for their investment, with 80% loans from their banks.

10. For your update,please.

11. Thank you

Kenneth Koh

what about the crocodiles and jelly fish and sharks ? I'm told you cant swim in the sea up there. Sounds a bit sus to me.

Be very careful about some of the specualtion about Cairns, there are some very astute investors on this forum ( learn from them) ( I am). I was speaking to a property agent in Cairns who was recommended to me via contacts on this forum. Some of the promised expected rent returns are not happening and you need to know where you are buying. research research research and buy with your head knowledge not with your heart.(don't get emotional)

Do a search on the subjects on Cairns on this forum and be enlightened

:eek: :p :D :) :)

Hi Ken,

Welcome to the forum.

The discussion of various deals usually takes place in the Caveat Emptor section of this forum.

Could you please elaborate on the following points for us:

1. The location of the suggested development compared to the business district and beach

2. The current vacancy rate for units and houses

3. The current median values for units and houses

Good luck

Glenn

Well reasearched Kenneth, Very informative. I have just flown back to Tokyo from a buying trip to Cairns myself. There is very little left on the market. I purchased a Two bedroom cottage in the CBD and was lucky as it had only just came on the market for two days and hadn't reached the Local papers or Internet yet. 2 days on the market with two offers one being mine. I offered subject to nothing with a 10 day settlement and was lucky to win. I had just arrived and was nervous about buying the 1st house I looked at but later to learn my initial feelings where correct. Being an Investment I needed low maintenance unlike the other older houses on the market currently. Many older queenslanders have termiite damage and need extensive work. These houses are good for the local restorers , there fore even the sticky houses seem to be moving.

There is quit a stir in town and the population seems to be increasing with very low vacancy.

I had a tenant ready to move in straight after settlement. At the inflated price which the property manager reccomended. Theres nothing around so if you want to rent a house you have to pay.

All is good from a Tokyo perspective,

Someone told me not to buy in the suburbs that start with a W or an M, and try to avoid rivers for the dengi out breaks. As it turns out Dengi Mosquitos dont breed in flowing water but rather the slippery plastic surface of all the containers lying around everyones back yard. Yes evan the choice suburbs have had outbreaks, Edge Hill, Cairns North and Parramatta Park....

Make sure your tenants are Dengi Aware

Cheers,

Lincoln

:D

what about the crocodiles and jelly fish and sharks ? I'm told you cant swim in the sea up there. Sounds a bit sus to me.

Its not the Okay Barrier Reef or the Good Barrier Reef, But the GREAT BARRIER REEF,

And never leta Croc Frighten yah Mate!

Originally posted by Lincoln
Someone told me not to buy in the suburbs that start with a W or an M,

Funnily enough, I have the lastest copy of QLD P&L here and for costal North QLD, and Whitfield in the only suburb in Cairns to make the top five best performers.

Cairns- Fast Hotting Up

Dear Members,

1. In Cairns, I do know that the Whitfield and EdgeHill Suburbs are the better known investment areas as well as its northern beaches at Palm Cove and Trinity Beach areas. Better capital growth are attainable in these areas provided one is prepared to pay for its higher investment entry costs of about A$300,000-$350,000 per property

2. A 312 m2 vacant land plot in Park Ridge Estate, Whitfield costs about $72,000-A$78,000. It is more expensive than a 600 m2 vacant land plot at Trinity Lake Estate, White Rock area, which actually costs less than A$60,000. Both locations are about 5-7km away from the Cairns CBD area. Of course, capital appreciation in the White Rock area will not be as good as those in the Park Ridge Estate/Whitfield areas during this impending property boom this time round, but when seen over a longer time perspective, I believe that there is more capital growth potential in the White Rock area, given its present lower entry costs.

3. Why do I want to invest in the Trinity Lakes Estate, White Rock area, knowing very well from this forum before, that White Rock used to be a "notorious" place, with many govt housing and sandflies among local Australians? While I risk appearing "naive and amateurish" in my investment approach, the main reasons for my investing into this area are as follows: The Trinity Lakes estate is located immediately next to Cairns' most prestigious and most expensive Trinity Anglican High School with St Mary College and the expanding Bentely Park College located nearby, it is located 5 km outside the Cairns CBD whereby new immigrants to Cairns are heading southwards to relocate in droves, following the recent widening of the Bruce Highway, its present low entry cost being a "unpopular" area and thus its higher affrodability level, the recent "clearing" of the low-cost govt housing in the areas, and the changing suburb profiles of the White Rock area, following new developments at the nearby Forest Gardens and Sheridian Meadows Estates and village shopping centres/commerical areas. I also find no sandflies, having physically visited the Trinity Lake Estate area myself, a few times at different times/day/evening. (Well, if McDonald Restaurant is presently located nearby, I guess I cannot be too far wrong as far as the long term location of the house is concerned, isn't it?... Similarly, I recall when I last invested in Rockingham area in Western Australia, some 40 km south from Perth, last December 2002, there was much skepticism and disbelief among the local people as the area was then highly "unpopular" with them, being an slow-moving retirement beachside suburb. But having recognised it as an "unpolished diamond gem", I am glad that I have chosen to invest in Rockingham then as of late, Rockingham seems to be getting a lot more attention and increasingly more popular with the more/new residents this year, with the construction of a new southward railway line from Perth in 2006 and the recent extension of the southward bound freeward to this area. )

4. Having re-visited Cairns/White Rock area again in August 2003, I remain confident and bullish of the Cairns property market and of the White Rock area's immediate future over the next 12-18 months period, as I was a month ago.

5. While I will still recommend Cairns for your investment consideratons, potential investors please conduct your own independant research and due diligence before investing in Cairns.

6. Thank you.

Regards,

Kenkoh2000
P.S. Land and house prices in Cairns have reportedly gone up by about 5% over the last one month period since my first visit to Cairns in July 2003 period.

Last edited:
Good Report Konkoh,
Some Good Information, and well researched. I bought a house in parramatta Pk in June and it had only been on the market fgor 2 days. Snapped up by the OS Investor me...from then I have not really been reaserching the market so much...my friend from Sydney who invested in 5 Unit/appartments around the CBD in may called me the other day to let me know that Housese in the area had actually gone up 20%.....MMMmm How would one work out this evidnce....from the sold price listings....Not so unbelievable though as lots of areas in Australia have went up around this figure...

what do you think about this assumption?

Cheers, and lets retire in our homes in the Tropical North,

Lincoln

Kenneth

A few observations

You make no comment of rental returns in your post.

I looked at Cairns a few months ago , and IMHO , the returns on the nicer properties in places like Trinity beach wern't there.

I have never been there but have been told that the northern beaches are one of the nicest places in Australia . I accept that the area will in all probabilities have significant growth over the next few years, and the immediate short term , but for some people on the forum the holding costs can be an important issue.
If you want a " lifestyle " beach investment , the northern beaches of Cairns is certainly a place to consider .

In the lower end of the market , there are motels which are being converted into units and the construction of some new purpose built back packer facilities ( with hundreds of beds ) is going to put financial pressure on existing facilities, which may end up being converted into lower cost accomodation.

When I talked to PM's they said the area that was most popular ( and lowest vacancies ) where places like Whitfiled or Parramatta park .

See change

Imho Whitfield is dreadfully overpriced compared to some other suburbs.

I am reliably informed that locals are staggered by the prices being offered in Whitfield which are fueled by sight un-seen buyer frenzy from Sydney investors.

You will get better value for money in suburbs such as Brinsmead, Freshwater, Bayview Heights, etc

Cairns- Fast Hotting Up

Dear Sea_Change and Glenn,

1. Before I answer your questions, let me clarify my own position here first. I am from Singapore. I am new to Cairns myself, having first visited and stayed in Cairns for one week in July 2003 for the first time in my entire life. However, I did make 2 further visits to Cairns in July-August period again, of one week duration each time.

2. This is my first time investing in Cairns, having last invested in the Goldcoast area since 1993 and more recently, in Perth since last December 2002. I am presently investing in Paramatta Park Sanur Villa Apartment Project), Trinity Lakes Estate at White Rock area and Amaroo Apartments(Refurbished) at Trinity Beach area, to replace the Meridian Apartment deal at Trinity Beach area which has not been not successful.

3. Thus, I trust that there are members among us who have or/and are actually living in Cairns on a long term basis and who are much more familiar with Cairns and its investing environment than myself. If I could, I will prefer these members who are living in Cairns or/and familiar with the Cairns' housing investment environment to come forward to share with us about their own views on Cairns and its investment potential instead of myself.

4. I have just sold off my 2 IP houses in the Goldcoast area as I believe the Goldcoast property market has already peaked and in my own calculations, it should be due for some easing off/"correction" quite soon, just like the markets in Sydney and Melbourne have done so, early this year.

5. Please note that it was from this forum that I first get to be interested and start to consider investing in Cairns in May-June 2003 period, having last invested in Perth in December 2002.

6. As per my first post here, having done my own internet research from Singapore and due diligence checks through this forum and other channels myself, I then decided to fly into Cairns to physically check out the place and its investing environment myself. Having visited Cairns and satisfied myself, I then decided to invest in Cairns as stated in my earlier posts.

7. I do not profess to be an expert on Cairns or in investing in Cairns. However, I do observe and believe myself that there are good investment opportunities in Cairns and that is why I am sharing/encouraging members to consider investing there too.

8. Glenn has asked for the median house and unit price and Sea-Change ask for the median rental data. Let me be first to admit here that I do not have ready data to provide to them at this point in time.

9. However, please note that I could not find widely accepted, undisputed, reliable source data sources such as those simiular to REIWA in Perth or REIQ, MIDWOOD Quarterly Investment Report for Queensland etc that I can use and extract to provide here for our members' easy reference too.

10. Of course I do have some good data from Herron Todd White Valuers' (HTW) Valuer, namely its Cairns' Newswatch Newsletter, which is a paid subscription as well as the various ancedotal rental data from the local real estate agencies and local newspapers sources in Cairns, as part of my own research work.

11. However, since there are conflicting reports/feedback between RESIDEX and HTW Valuers especially with respect to the unit apartment potential and rental returns in Cairns, I think it is better for me to have it properly digested first before releasing it in this forum;-lest I should create more "confusion" among our members, instead of actually helping them to better understand the Cairns' investing environment.

12. I also know that I am going to have more members who are skeptical about investing in Cairns challenging all my data and myself as well as tocasting doubts as to my actual intentions/motives/nature of my posts and my seemingly pro-Cairns investment stance, which I intend to avoid here. I hope members did not further cast doubts nor question my intentions/integrity, having clairfied my own position here.

13. Let every potential investors do their own independant research and due diligence first before consider to invest in Cairns.

14. To me, it is quite difficult to summarise the median house and unit price in Cairns intelligently on my own, for our members'easy reference, as I am unable to do so myself and there is simply too much variations between its suburbs. For example, Cairns come under the postcode 4870 and within this same postcode (and Cairns suburb), unit and house price can vary from less than $90,000 to more than $450,000 depending on its locations and views. Even in the new Park Ridge Estateat at Whitfield, the house prices there can vary from less than $250,000 to more than $500,000.

15. Nonetheless, I am prepared to share this data for my intended house purchase at the Trinity Lakes Esate, White Rock Area whereby I am personally confident and comfortable with the data accuracy and reliabilty to want to openly share with our members here :- HTW Valuers has just returned a A$222,500 valuation price for the new 4-bedrooms/ 2 bathrooms/double garage house at Trinity Lake Estate, White Rock area, which is sitting on a 672 m2 land site. The house was only priced at A$221,500 as its purchase price. HTW Valuers has also confirmed its likely rental returns to be exactly the same A$275 per week amount as was provided by one of the local RE agencies there. With this likely 6.45% rental return, the property is thus "cashflow-positive" and thus help meet my own investment criteria/objecvtives.

16. I hope with these inputs and my earlier posts, members can now decide for themselves if Cairns is a good place to invest or not. It does not really matter to me whether members want or do not want to invest there ultimately. It is their own call/decision.

17. Good Luck!

Regards,

Kenkoh2000

Last edited:
Cairns- Fast Hotting Up

Dear Glenn and fellow members,

From the latest Cairns Newswatch Newsletter for August 2003 by HTW Valuers received this morning, reported the following:
Rental vacancy rate for houses - 2.4%
Units - 3.2%
Overall- 2.9%

House and unit median price and median rental rate was still not available in this latest issue of the Newsletter

Overall building approval data is said to have showed a plateau as the buildingindustry reaches full capacity, though housing approvals is still on the rising trend.

For your kind update please before you make any investment decision.

Regards,
Kenkoh2000

Back