Calling all Kellyville/Castle Hill Experts

Since you guys are talking about train line, what do you think about Quakers Hill ?
My understanding is that most people will flock to Quakers station for their usual commute and there is huge area occupied by defence department. So I guess the community in Quakers is more family-orientated and blue collars ?

There is an article in the September issue of API Magazine on the north west rail link and which suburbs will benefit the most when it get built. According to API, Baulkham Hill, Castle Hill, Rouse Hill and Kellyville will be faced with capital appreciation and good rental yield.

I got this letter 2 weeks ago from Cityrail about the line extention...but really what they say and what they do it 2 different matter!

They promised there would be a Castle hill line like 10 years ago and again 4 years ago...both times the plan was left to die due to budget issue and costing etc...

Let's see what really happens...i havn't seen any major track work so who knows?

Regards
Michael

This is quite an old thread and I apologise for bumping it up, but just wanted to say thanks for those who helped in our search late 2011 for our PPR. We ended up buying at auction weeks later in Castle Hill for a really good price.

It is quite a story actually. We had been looking around BH for a whilst under the impression CH was out of our depth where most houses were min 60k more. We sold our apartment in Annandale the week before so were out with a bit more confidence during the opens a week later. Having seen a few houses and attended some auctions that day, we were ready to head home. On the way home, my wife said "Drop by that place in CH so we can take a look". Well, we did but with no intention to buy as we believed it wasn't in our range. Little do you know, we got chatting with the REA there we knew from otlder opens, and, 20mins later and a very quick DD on the prop (not recommended however we had a very great gut feeling this was the one). We registered to bid. Auction was underway. Next minute we're the highest bidder against another couple. We won.

Very exciting and surreal experience. That feeling we had when we first walked in, we just knew. No regrets whatsoever. Speaking with the vendors shortly after the auction and they did the EXACT same thing 10yrs ago. Unreal.

Thanks again to Jacque and twobobsworth who helped in our research.

We have now built up some decent equity after some small renovations and PG and looking to buy our first IP after meeting with Daniel at Binvested.

Loving the Hills area and the people :)

Thanks again SS forumites

Congratulations Cenz - am sure you are delighted with your purchase seeing the way the market in the Hills area has exploded over the last 12 months or so.

Good luck with your investing, might be an idea to join SSers at our next catch up in the Hills area.

Congratulations Cenz - am sure you are delighted with your purchase seeing the way the market in the Hills area has exploded over the last 12 months or so.

Good luck with your investing, might be an idea to join SSers at our next catch up in the Hills area.

Cheers Cheery. Most definitely! How often are the catch-ups?

Congrats. Great to hear it worked out well.

You'll do we'll with Daniel and Nathan.

Meet ups are every few months. Once Sim recovers from his jail stint he will probably organise one. :D

Congrats. Great to hear it worked out well.

You'll do we'll with Daniel and Nathan.

Meet ups are every few months. Once Sim recovers from his jail stint he will probably organise one. :D

Cheers. I see Sim has posted a proposed meet-up at the B&B for next Friday 16th August.

Digging this up just to show the crazy CG the Hills area has had. This is a house we were looking at when we were purchasing our PPOR end of 2011:

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-baulkham hills-107585994

It sold then for $585k.

Fast forward 3yrs and sporting a rendered exterior and added carport, it recently sold for...

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-baulkham+hills-117704171

...$910k!! That's an increase of $325k (approx 18% pa growth). Not being too close to the proposed train line, Baulkham Hills and the surrounds are trailing Castle Hill/Norwest/Bella Vista very closely, or it could potentially overtake if Castle Hill Towers gets the go ahead for the shopping centre extention. Traffic is going to be scary around there.

Digging this up just to show the crazy CG the Hills area has had. This is a house we were looking at when we were purchasing our PPOR end of 2011:

It sold then for $585k.

Fast forward 3yrs and sporting a rendered exterior and added carport, it recently sold for...

...$910k!! That's an increase of $325k (approx 18% pa growth). Not being too close to the proposed train line, Baulkham Hills and the surrounds are trailing Castle Hill/Norwest/Bella Vista very closely, or it could potentially overtake if Castle Hill Towers gets the go ahead for the shopping centre extention. Traffic is going to be scary around there.

Welcome to Sydney

It sold then for $585k.

Hey you bought into Castle Hill, so nothing but smiles :)

Hey you bought into Castle Hill, so nothing but smiles :)

All smiles here don't you worry. I'm just following on from See_Changes "Hype up Sydney" thread to add my 2c on the Hills area :cool: hehe

We had our place valued at $920k 3 months ago, but it is miles ahead of this BH property. I'm thinking a reval is in order for more release :p

OMG the cg has been amazing hasn't it? The Hills is now the 'New North Shore' and I have total faith it will continue to perform admirably- price points are reaching all-time highs and affordability ceilings will eventually see it dissipate and slow down, but no more than other suburbs in Sydney will do when IRs increase and sentiment turns around.

The other huge factor driving the market now in this area is a lack of listings, which in turn creates competition and price growth. Frustrated buyers pay more to secure, vendor's expectations rise, precedents are set with prices and the cycle continues....

Mind you, for those who like their land value it does make nearby acreage look like good value in this market. Compare this CH listing that recently sold for $1.6m on just over 1000sqm
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-castle+hill-117474647

with this 2 acre package 8mins up the road in Kenthurst for just $50K more... land almost 8 times larger and far quieter...

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-kenthurst-117175747

Yes I know it comes down to location and being closer to all the action, but I'd still prefer the land if I was looking for a PPOR and didn't have to be within cooee of a train line..

Last edited:
Glad I was able to buy back in 2011 (then IP, now PPOR). Just recently pulled equity out to purchase a IP in the sunshine state.

Jacque, my parents are looking to downsize from their home in Cherrybrook and be within walking distance to castle towers or stockland baulkham hills. What property types would you recommend for the elderly and what budgets are required?

Glad I was able to buy back in 2011 (then IP, now PPOR). Just recently pulled equity out to purchase a IP in the sunshine state.

Jacque, my parents are looking to downsize from their home in Cherrybrook and be within walking distance to castle towers or stockland baulkham hills. What property types would you recommend for the elderly and what budgets are required?

Hi dajackal

As the Hills area ages, this is a natural progression for the area and your parents are far from alone in seeking low maintenance, convenient properties here- we've helped several clients with this brief and the usual list looks something like this:

Quiet but convenient location- walk to shops, transport, medical centre
2-3 beds with preference for 3
DLUG or undercover for 2 cars
No/Minimal stairs or lift in building
Max cap on strata levies
Well kept secure complex

The best complexes are fetching some amazing sales - take a look at some of the penthouses being marketed at over $1.6m+...amazing strength in the market to achieve these prices.

I'd go for an older unit (not that they're that old in these suburbs!), personally, and for a decent sized 2x1/2x2 you ideally now need $600K+ min. in CH and mid $500K's in BH. If you want a villa (popular obviously due to limited steps and more of a house feel) expect to pay more (unless they're over 55's setups) etc for townhouses... there has been a stock shortage which I truly hope will be rectified in the coming weeks.

If your parents are elderly and require no steps, ideally stick to the newer (less than 20 yrs) blocks built near Towers or Stockland, with lifts and convenient access points (for both complex and car entry) Also look for those blocks that are largely owner-occupied (eg: the two in Cecil Ave- one's for sale currently and should achieve $720K+ I'd estimate in this market) and well-maintained. Happy searching!

Back