Can anybody achieve cashflow positive ?

These same returns as in Canada are probably not available in Australia (or at least easily as in Canada (without implying what you do is easy ?)

Is that what you're saying ? Which is why you probalby won't rent here ?

Reason I ask is, besides yourself and Bob, the rest of us are generally usually probably almost always talking about investment propeorties available in Australia and their returns

The title of the thread didn't say it had to be in Australia. All I asked about was a formula, and then answered questions.
Making money is never easy. First you need to find the deal, and it is usually something that no one else wants..for whatever reason.
This property I mentioned in my example has been available for sale for a few months now, and started at $3500. We already own 2 properties where this one is located..and one is on the same street.
This place is more than likely an empty shell inside.The park owners will only permit it to stay if renovations are completed and property remains tidy.
Many mobile home parks will not permit older properties any longer, making it difficult.This will mean we could pick up dozens, some even free, if we bought land to set them on.
I'm sure the opportunity to purchase cheap relocatables or houses people want removed and placed on rural land would be similar to what we do.(in Australia)
There are so many people who say they want a "fixer upper" but no one has bought this property. We never buy anything without looking at it, and we never take anyone's word for it.

We won't buy a rental here for really for a few reasons.
1)While we are in Australia, we are retired.
2)We don't have the need to try to find deals like Nathan does. He seems to be very good at it, so it is possible.
3) While we went back to Canada for 4 months each year, we would need to be reliant on PMs...no thank you.
4)We have excellent supers already in place, in Canada.

Kathryn,

I was just asking...

No problem, I was just answering :)

Some people, I'm sure, think because our properties are in Canada, we shouldn't be on SS.
Considering different possibilities, can span the 2 countries. We are very similar, in many ways.

No problem, I was just answering :)

Some people, I'm sure, think because our properties are in Canada, we shouldn't be on SS.
Considering different possibilities, can span the 2 countries. We are very similar, in many ways.

Of course you 'should'...

Can I ask how "unique" investors doing what you & Bob are considered in Canada with the style of properties you invest in ?

Regardless, like the Nathan's here, we see possibilities exist, I just think that many of us city dwellers without experience of much more don't know too much about large possibilities here, hence I think many may think like me that these types of opportunities are better for those who know more than we do. Not saying it's correct, but I suspect I'm not alone in thinking that in the back of my mind at least

Of course you 'should'...

Can I ask how "unique" investors doing what you & Bob are considered in Canada with the style of properties you invest in ?

Regardless, like the Nathan's here, we see possibilities exist, I just think that many of us city dwellers without experience of much more don't know too much about large possibilities here, hence I think many may think like me that these types of opportunities are better for those who know more than we do. Not saying it's correct, but I suspect I'm not alone in thinking that in the back of my mind at least

We are in the minority.Most people don't have any rentals, but when they do, they seem to own a few.(about 5-10) I can only speak of 2 towns, as that is what we stick with.They are small towns of about 10-12,000 people.

There are few types of investments we don't own yet, but someday i would like to. I would like to buy land and place mobiles on them.(lots of regulations to get around) I'd also like to have a boarding house and/or a basic B&B.

We tend to focus now on properties that are old, ugly and cheap.I started out only wanting to buy properties that I would live in.The reaction of applicants changed my mind. Some were so excited at the thought of living in them,that I lowered my expectaion to "as long as they were safe,clean and livable". I also wouldn't buy in an area I wouldn't want to go to collect the rent.(we have a few streets I would feel uncomfortable in)
I have the same reaction to cities..I'd never want to live in them (visit is ok)

Eric, you only have seven posts to your name, five of them in this thread. Now while that is not a crime, I do suggest you do a little hunting around the forum and do a search on some of the things that you are mentioning in this thread.

There are many experienced investors on this forum and while many will help out in anyway possible, you will find that you will gain more helpful information, and others open up to you much more, if you start to do a little research of your own.

There are positive geared properties around and Nathan is one shining example of someone who consistantly finds stuff, but he is not going to do the work for you.

Best thing you can do to educate yourself is to regularly read the forum AND contribute to the threads.

Eric, you now have 15 posts, 13 of them in this thread. All asking questions, some of which the answers are more than easy to find by reading other threads. It seems you want to be spoon fed the answers, which is probably why you aren't getting the responses you want, and when you do get responses you don't want, you discount those replies.

Like I said previously, do a little reseach yourself and contribute to other threads.

any comment on Nothe St Marys and Blacktown in Sydney.

Yep! Some people buy stuff there.

Eric, personal attacks will not get you anywhere. I have not once personally attacted you, merely stated that some of us come here and are more than willing to help those who are willing to help themselves, but draw the line at helping out those who seem to want others to do it all for them.

Nobody is going to be willing to open up and assist you if you tell them that their ideas are foolish.

I am looking at St Marys and Blacktown area. You could by a 3bedroom house with 600m2 land for $220,000, rent would be $300-320/week. not sure about capital gain. Blacktown area $320,000. rent $300-350.

any thoughts?

I think your figures speak for themselves considering both areas are not that far from each other in Western Sydney.

Skater

You seem like to critise other people........

Haha Skater is one of the most likely people to give you the answers you want as she invests in that area (a lot). But as she said, a little of your own research won't go astray before asking questions that have been answered MANY times before.
I'm not religious but ever heard of the saying "God helps those that help themselves"?.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is good to discuss ideas and opinions, but starting with how many posts were made, and saying self centred is personal attack in a subtle way. I do not think the posts from you would help at all. Having an attutide of yourself being superior to other people is naive. please post wise posts rather than large number of posts.

It is good to discuss ideas and opinions, but starting with how many posts were made, and saying self centred is personal attack in a subtle way. I do not think the posts from you would help at all. Having an attutide of yourself being superior to other people is naive. please post wise posts rather than large number of posts.

When I read skater’s earlier reply this morning, I thought it sounded a bit rougher than it needed to.

I would suggest that eric is not as experienced and therefore not as likely to put things into perspective ads well and not ask the questions in the perfect order etc, nor how to research or what to research exactly to find the right answers... So, we see newbies asking questions that sometimes make experienced people think, "you don't even know this, but you're asking about THAT".... I'm just suggesting that the newbies need to learn that first, rather than it be thrown back at them as a criticism of sorts...

If we only answer questions which are perfectly posed, we may indeed end up only helping those who may actually know enough to help themselves but wish to be spoon-fed instead... more so than help any new person who may be looking for a bit of help / direction to begin learning from.

Maybe... but probably not

You are completely wrong my dear. I simply noticed that you were a newbie and that all your posts appeared to be in the one thread. A search revealed that I was right.

I never said you were self centred, merely that you appeared to want everyone else to do it all for you and suggested contributing more to the forum rather than staying in the same thread. Those that contribute to other threads gain the respect of other members.

Again, you suggest that I am naive and that my posts do not contain any wisdom, yet you ask people to assist in your quest. Given this attitude, since I am supposedly naive and have no wisdom, it is obvious that you do not wish my assistance.

Haha Skater is one of the most likely people to give you the answers you want as she invests in that area (a lot). But as she said, a little of your own research won't go astray before asking questions that have been answered MANY times before.

LOL! Thankyou! You don't do too badly out this way either.:cool:

Never mind, I'm niave and I have no wisdom, so I cannot help Eric.:rolleyes:

I would suggest that eric is not as experienced and therefore not as likely to put things into perspective ads well and not ask the questions in the perfect order etc, nor how to research or what to research exactly to find the right answers... So, we see newbies asking questions that sometimes make experienced people think, "you don't even know this, but you're asking about THAT".... I'm just suggesting that the newbies need to learn that first, rather than it be thrown back at them as a criticism of sorts...

If we only answer questions which are perfectly posed, we may indeed end up only helping those who may actually know enough to help themselves but wish to be spoon-fed instead... more so than help any new person who may be looking for a bit of help / direction to begin learning from.

Jaycee, you are jumping to conclusions I fear. I am more than happy to help Newbies, but I do get a little narky if/when some seem to want you to spoon-feed them everything. I don't care how the questions are posed and if I can make sense of them, I will offer assistance. There are countless people who I have offered assistance to.

It is not the fact that Eric has not used the search facility (although that would help), it is, that he has been a member here for a while now, yet most of his posts are contained solely in this thread. Even when someone has answered his questions, if the answers don't appear to be what he wants, he either discounts what the poster says or resorts to name calling.

I will not help someone who treats others in this way.

would there be any places in Sydney can achieve the 9%, considering reasonable CG as well.

Hey Eric,

Here's one at 9 %

http://www.realcommercial.com.au/cg...c=&c=12603324&s=nsw&snf=ras-syd&tm=1298354120

and another:

http://www.realcommercial.com.au/cg...c=&c=12603324&s=nsw&snf=ras-syd&tm=1298354120

Somewhat tongue in cheek howeverseriously, get more proactive using the search function here and do some hard yards focusing on some of the western or south-western Sydney areas looking at prices and likely rents on rea.com.au or domain, etc. No one is going to share 9 % yielding resi property with you unless you have engaged them as a buyers agent and they will be paid for such services.

And, respectfully, I have found in life (any area of life), those people who we consider to " push our buttons" usually end up being our greatest teachers. To this end, I suggest you scour back thru archives of posts from people such as Skater and Nathan and learn a little (or a lot) ;)

Hope that helps a little :)

Skater, I did not mean to jump to conclusions, so if by doing so I offended you, I apologise.

I was just trying to be understanding, nice & helpful, but obviously I'm none of these

Back