Can I extend this?

The picture didn't load very well but I think you are talking about extending a carport.

You would get away with small alterations and semi-permanent extensions/enclosures (like shade cloth), but if you want to extend the permanent structure or enclose the carport you'll need approval.

You wont however be able to build to the fence line, there are boundary set back laws that prevent you from doing this and whilst I've heard of council relaxing the rear boundary laws, it is extremely uncommon for them to allow you to build any closer to your fence-line especially with a next-door neighbour.

ASAIK you can take the concrete slab out to the fence line. By the time you comply with fire-proof construction up to the boundary, you will loose a significant amount of the floor space created - that is if you are allowed to do that to a side boundary. We have done a fire-proof wall to a back boundary in the 1980s, so the rules will have changed since then.

If I was you, I would lay some more concrete then put a narrow lockup garden or tool shed on it. I doubt it would be worth the considerable hassle to extend your roof.

Your concrete will have to meet certain standards if you want to start putting up a roof above it or enclosing the walls. I know the council has relaxed carport rules for front boundaries recently, but I dont know any details.

Hmm, looks like the roof is already too close to the fence. It is possible to work out mathematically if the fence/house is in their correct locations according to your plans/block of land, without paying for a survey. Got a tape measure? Ask the council front office for a copy of the site survey and the original building application and go from there.

Back