Can I get my deposit back during cooling off period?

I paid 0.25% of the purchase price as a deposit to secure a property, it is off plan development. The agent says if I change my mind, I can get the money back during cooling off period.

However, the Fairtrading website says buyer has to pay 0.25% to seller anyway:
http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/f...s/Buying_property/Contracts_and_deposits.page

"If you use your cooling-off rights and withdraw from the contract during the five business-day period, you will have to pay the seller 0.25% of the purchase price. This works out to be $250 for every $100,000."

I signed the so-called contact thing and the agent will send it to me for my solicitor to read, is it legal binding?

Any one can help? Apprecaited

In NSW, typically if you exercise your cooling off rights, then you forfeit the 0.25% deposit to the vendor. However, it is also common practice for an OTP purchase for them to refund your 0.25% if you do not proceed. If the selling agent advised you that this was the case, then they are firstly liable to refund you but secondly probably treating your 0.25% deposit as an EOI or holding deposit, which is also refundable in the event that you do not proceed.

Back