Can I lend to myself?

Does the borrower and lender have to be different entities or can they be the same entity? any legal precedent on such a basic detail?

Does the borrower and lender have to be different entities or can they be the same entity? any legal precedent on such a basic detail?

No you cannot. You cannot contract with yourself nor can you sue yourself - although some do argue with themselves.

What are you trying to achieve?

Say I get a mortgage for a PPOR for $500,000 with offset account

I work and save and make $500,000, put it into the offset. I own that $500,000 in the offset, but I still owe the bank $500,000, and the bank charges me interest on the difference - $0, but that interest (if any) is not deductible because the loan was created for the purpose of PPOR. To make that debt deductible, I'd need to close the loan and apply for a new loan for investment purposes, even if I use the same PPOR as security.

Now what if I go and lend myself the $500,000, for the purpose of investing.
Before I had:

Assets:
PPOR
$500,000 in offset account

Debts:
$500,000 mortgage

I now have:

Assets:
PPOR
$500,000 loan to scientist

Debts:
$500,000 mortgage
$500,000 owed to scientist (deductible interest payments!)

I can then use that 500,000 to buy an IP without having to close the existing mortgage and effectively the interest payments on the original mortgage are tax deductible.

This only works if I can lend to myself.

Can you form a company, become sole director and then do it?

So can I make a Pty Ltd with myself as sole shareholder (but not director - harder to get bank loans if a directorship shows up on credit file) and inject $500,000 cash as initial equity. Then lend that back to myself?

Ahhh I think ATO would be all over that because it looks like a tax dodge whereas I really just want to not have to close my PPOR mortgage so I can use it to invest.

No you cannot. You cannot contract with yourself nor can you sue yourself - although some do argue with themselves.

Not doubting you, just genuinely curious - where is the authority for this?

Went through 5 years of law school and not once did any of the case law / textbooks etc deal with this minor detail.

To make that debt deductible, I'd need to close the loan and apply for a new loan for investment purposes, even if I use the same PPOR as security.

Not necessarily - as long as the loan doesn't discharge, you could pay the offset funds into the loan, making the loan balance zero, then redraw to buy your IP.

Get tax advice, but I can't see why this wouldn't work. I'm sure someone will explain if I'm wrong :)

Not necessarily - as long as the loan doesn't discharge, you could pay the offset funds into the loan, making the loan balance zero, then redraw to buy your IP.

Get tax advice, but I can't see why this wouldn't work. I'm sure someone will explain if I'm wrong :)

No, you are right Jess.

Based on what you are trying to achieve, this may be possible if you are investing through a trust. I have done similar things in the past for clients where they loan funds to their company / trust for the purpose of investing.

I am not 100% of the accounting side, but if you speak to a good accountant, they can find a way to make it work.

I don't get why you don't just apply for a new investment loan to replace the old O/O one. Is there problems getting it approved?

Say I get a mortgage for a PPOR for $500,000 with offset account

I work and save and make $500,000, put it into the offset. I own that $500,000 in the offset, but I still owe the bank $500,000, and the bank charges me interest on the difference - $0, but that interest (if any) is not deductible because the loan was created for the purpose of PPOR. To make that debt deductible, I'd need to close the loan and apply for a new loan for investment purposes, even if I use the same PPOR as security.

Now what if I go and lend myself the $500,000, for the purpose of investing.
Before I had:

Assets:
PPOR

Debts:
$500,000 mortgage

I now have:

Assets:
PPOR
$500,000 loan to scientist

Debts:
$500,000 mortgage
$500,000 owed to scientist (deductible interest payments!)

I can then use that 500,000 to buy an IP without having to close the existing mortgage and effectively the interest payments on the original mortgage are tax deductible.

This only works if I can lend to myself.

Thanks - this is probably practically the easiest way!

Okay say you:

1. Sign a standard loan agreement with an accountant or solicitor, making it a proper transaction
2. Loan the funds to say a trust.
3. Trust gets deduction for the interest as you planned.

You have not considered the other side of the transaction..

If the trusts generates interest expense, on the other side of the equation YOU generate interest INCOME for loaning that money...

Sure there are additional strategies to add on to this one (for example personal situation, taxable income position of the trust/company etc) to get past this but I wanted you to consider this beforehand..

Cheers.

Okay say you:

1. Sign a standard loan agreement with an accountant or solicitor, making it a proper transaction
2. Loan the funds to say a trust.
3. Trust gets deduction for the interest as you planned.

You have not considered the other side of the transaction..

If the trusts generates interest expense, on the other side of the equation YOU generate interest INCOME for loaning that money...

Sure there are additional strategies to add on to this one (for example personal situation, taxable income position of the trust/company etc) to get past this but I wanted you to consider this beforehand..

Cheers.

1. Why is the lawyer or accountant signing a loan agreement? Are they a lender or a borrower?

3. Trust would only get a deduction if interest was charge and the money was used for investment or business purposes.

Above I mentioned a discretionary trust. In some instances a person could borrow from a related discretionary trust, use the funds for investment purposes and then later refinance this loan with a major bank and give the money back to the trust (pay off loan) and maintain deductibility of interest.

1. Get either to assist in preparation of such a document. Should have phrased it better

2. Was implied that funds let to the trust were used for IP purchase as per OP's post.

Hi

Hi,

Look at the overall picture and asses the following:

1) There is going to be legal cost to set up a entity properly - Don't just do it your self appoint a person who can do it correctly from the start.
2) You will have to pay ongoing ASIC fees "etc"
3) How much will your account cost you to lodge a return "etc" for a company / Trust.
4) Also look at the PROS and CONS in buying in a different entity such as capital gains implications "etc".

Back