Can you rent out a van on a block-Vic ?

Hi people.

Could I just put a self contained caravan on a block , small Vic regional town , and rent it out for someone to live in it ?

Cheers

Obviously this is something you will need to ask the Council.

What about electricity, water and sewage?

If it got the thumbs up you would then want to check to see if you are able to get public liability insurance.

Rents aren't that expensive in many regional areas that I don't think the demand for a caravan would be high unless the rent was very very low.

After taking PM rates into consideration you would have to ask yourself would it be worth the time and effort.

And watch that local PMs might have a minimum charge too. Ours has a minimum of $16pw, plus a $32 surcharge for visiting some towns for inspections etc.

I'd be almost certain this would not be acceptable to the local council. Generally only buildings within caravan parks are exempt from having to comply with BCA requirements for a habitable residential dwelling.

In Brisbane City Council, you're not even allowed to have electricity connected to your caravan - if it's actually for travelling, as intended ;) - on residential land, to ensure that people clearly get the message that you must not live in a caravan on residential land.

Yeah well of course council would say you have to ask them if you mentioned it , and then they'd hit you for permits, septics, certificates of occupancy and dream up at least 3 or 4 other ways of making some dosh out of you .
What I was wondering is but - would they bother you in a regional area if you just did it ?
There's a few in the area with cabins or vans out the side, people coming and going , big deal I say but eh maybe if someone reports it, or the inspector can be stuffed stopping one day when his going past , no way of knowing I guess.

Got a block going to waste and a van going to waste. I could be getting 400pm for it bugger it and , I need the money , heartbreaking !

Cheers

Last edited:
Oh, one of THOSE.

There's heaps of people living in vans/buses/sheds in some of the smaller towns around here. One is a bus that is so built on it is absolutely massive, but in the eyes of the council it is still a bus so they still get rated at vacant land levels. Buses and vans aren't counted as houses, they are counted as vehicles. Or something, I'm just taking hearsay from a drunken speech from a guy who lives in a van.

You can spot the occupied buses by the extension cord running from a nearby house. I have no idea what the rent charging arrangements are, but I'm sure there's something, given the cost of power.

I think your biggie is, where's the dunny?

Yeah there's heaps of them through this area too. But the dunny , yeah look I just can't understand why people need to sh't anyway quite frankly, spose I could scene for those on bread diets or somem .

Naah I was just thinking porta loo's or something , one of the caravan loos. Many a single bloke wouldn't mind that- lovely blocks and spot. Vans on solar , tanks on the block .

Cheers

This disturbs me somewhat, but the last person-in-a-van I had to deal with was sharing a loo and shower that was in an outdoor kind of shed thing near the house the extension cord was plugged into.

Disturbing mainly because the shed thing was unlined, had no lights, the loo flushed with a bucket and there was an icecream container full of torn up newspaper for wiping. And it wasn't a single guy there, it was a single guy and his SEVEN YEAR OLD DAUGHTER :eek:

Don't see that kind of thing anymore now I live somewhere that vacant land is actually worth something and tends to sprout massive new houses not hobos in vans. The squatters have all long since moved on ...

This disturbs me somewhat, but the last person-in-a-van I had to deal with was sharing a loo and shower that was in an outdoor kind of shed thing near the house the extension cord was plugged into.

Disturbing mainly because the shed thing was unlined, had no lights, the loo flushed with a bucket and there was an icecream container full of torn up newspaper for wiping. And it wasn't a single guy there, it was a single guy and his SEVEN YEAR OLD DAUGHTER :eek:

Don't see that kind of thing anymore now I live somewhere that vacant land is actually worth something and tends to sprout massive new houses not hobos in vans. The squatters have all long since moved on ...

poverty comes in many guises, it's nothing to turn your nose up at - is better than wiping with your left and eating with your right.

if the structure they are living in is not a permanent fixing (ie, has no footings) then council have no right to ask for plans, health, fees etc.

i know plenty of people who holiday in their RVs and caravans on their vacant blocks in the South West. If they stay for 1 day or 1 year, are they temporary or permanent?

When I was inspecting one of my IP's recently the tenant told me there's a couple of people living in a shipping container on a building site across the road. One had recently knocked on the door and asked if he could take a shower. He said no of course. Then my tenant showed me a caravan parked on another nearby property that people were living in. I witnessed them going in and out with rubbish bags. The council goes and visits them. They deny people live there so the council leave. :confused:

Yeah it's no biggie usually , you see it all over the place but this would be my thing so if council knock it comes back to me , then I'd have to kick someone out , neighbours probably talk and on it goes.
There's someone in a van across the road from me here I think , never see anyone but there's often washing out.

The block I'm thinking about is 1/2 ac , the neighbours are all 1 ac except for the one behind where the van would go . Their back fence would be 15m back from the van and their house would be about 28m back from van. Trees and garden but no paling fence so it looks across to my block.
No way of knowing if they'd make a call or not, get the feeling they're wingers though .
If it was more private from their aspect I'd have no worries I think .Was going to put up a fence awhile back but it'll have to wait till next year now.

Owell , I'm going over tomorrow , I'll take another look at the situation. An extra 400pm right now would be real handy.

Cheers

Random,
Go for it.
Just make sure you declare any income, along with any deductions you may be entitled to.
Tax evasion is what I'd be most concerned with, otherwise.
Decide if you are renting them the land, which happens to have a van on it..or renting the van which happens to be on land.

How you word anything, can make a world of difference.

I was reading a book last week, and the family hooked up their toilet so it didn't use water. More of a chemical one..of sorts.

A water tank..and solar shower?

You can always make an argument about going green

I was reading a book last week, and the family hooked up their toilet so it didn't use water. More of a chemical one..of sorts.
You'd be thinking of a composting toilet. They're actually quite expensive.

Digging a long drop and popping an outhouse building over it is the cheap version of same :D

You'd be thinking of a composting toilet. They're actually quite expensive.

Digging a long drop and popping an outhouse building over it is the cheap version of same :D

You could be right.They unhooked the plumbing under the house and did mention something about emptying it every 6 months.
It was about a family sustaining themselves off their 1/2 acre block of land, for 6 months...imteresting, but I wouldn't do it.They even grew their own coffee beans.

Hi Kath

You guys have different rules I'd guess but here they'll clamp down on you and make life hell if someone reports a situation that's the only prob.

Hey Rumpled , glad your not still somewhat disturbed , couldn't resist !.

Composting loos have come a long way since those days . They have completely self contained units now , many types . 2-3 k will buy you a ripper as compared to 8 or 10 for a septic. And they're just a loo in the house much like the normal loo and the rest is underneath the house outside, it all goes into what ever the system is.
Any of the good ones you only need to empty every 6-12mths and it's 100%pure compost by then and broken down to the size of a small rubbish bin . Completely odorless, safe and ready for the garden . So they say in the ads !
You can get others to fit vans , instead of the typical Chemical jobs. A pretty typical looking loo on the inside but with a small composting system outside underneath the van .
I built my own in another place , that was an old dairy I fixed up and rented out . I put in an odorless ,waterless loo in that one . It had a few bugs but we ironed them out and then it wasn't bad . I had a couple in there for 2 yrs , on a few acs . They had gardens , veggies, chooks , they loved living there .

Cheers

Back