Carbon tax

Tony Abbott disputes that humans are responsible for climate change.

Asked by the ABC's Four Corners if he still disputed that humans are responsible for climate change, Mr Abbott said: ''Sure, but that's not really relevant at the moment."

SOURCE: THE SYDNEY MORNING HERALD, 17 AUGUST 2010

Despite scientific proof, Tony Abbott does not believe global temperatures are rising.

''I have pointed out in the past that there was that high year a few years ago, and … if you believe the various measuring organisations, [the temperature] hasn't increased, but again the point is not the science, the point is how should government respond and we have a credible response that will achieve a 5 per cent reduction by 2020 and the government doesn't.''

Mr Abbott was referring to global temperatures in 1998, which coincided with a heat-inducing El Nino cycle, and by some measures was slightly hotter than 2005. However, the same measurements show that the warming trend has continued steadily since the late 1990s.

SOURCE: THE SYDNEY MORNING HERALD, 17 AUGUST 2010

Sydney Morning Herald journalist Adam Morton says Tony Abbott is not telling the whole truth when he talks about rising electricity prices and a carbon tax.

What he doesn't tell them is that power bills are going up anyway, for a host of reasons - massive network upgrades and the 20 per cent renewable energy target (that was backed by the opposition as well as the Government) for starters.

SOURCE: SYDNEY MORNING HERALD, 19 JULY 2010

Tony Abbott can’t make up his mind about a price on carbon.

On the first day of the election campaign Tony Abbott said he opposed a price on carbon.

“I do not support... making consumers pay a price on carbon."

SOURCE: ABC, 18 JULY 2010.
Read the full article here.

But he changed his mind just 24 hours later.

“If the world does, obviously that is a new situation and we would have to adjust to it.”

SOURCE: THE AGE, 20 JULY 2010

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tony and the ETS...:)

First Tony Abbott supported an ETS.

“The Howard Government (in 2007) proposed an emissions trading scheme because this seemed the best way to obtain the highest emission reduction at the lowest cost.”

SOURCE: BATTLELINES, 2009, PAGE 171

>> Then Tony Abbott opposed an ETS.

“This is not the time to take this risk.”

SOURCE: ABC LATELINE, 17 MARCH 2009

Then Tony Abbott again supported an ETS.

EXTRACT FROM THE AUSTRALIAN ARTICLE:

We must vote for ETS: Abbott

SOURCE: THE AUSTRALIAN, 24 JULY 2009.

“There is much to be said for an emissions trading scheme. It was, after all, the mechanism for emission reduction ultimately chosen by the Howard government.”

SOURCE: TONY ABBOTT SPEECH 'A Realist’s Approach to Climate Change', 27 JULY 2009

“I think that the science is far from settled but on the insurance principle you are prepared to take reasonable precautions against significant potential risks, and that's I think why it makes sense to have an ETS,”

SOURCE: ABC NEWS 'Abbott backs Turnbull despite climate change doubts', 4 OCTOBER 2009

“If the Government substantially accepts our amendments there is no reason why this legislation can’t be passed.”

SOURCE: THE AUSTRALIAN, 11 NOVEMBER 2009.

Malcolm on Tony::)

Former Opposition Leader Malcolm Turnbull’s comments on Tony Abbott’s position.

“Tony himself has, in just four or five months, publicly advocated the blocking of the ETS, the passing of the ETS, the amending of the ETS and, if the amendments were satisfactory, passing it, and now the blocking of it.”

“We have an Opposition whose current leadership dismisses the Howard Government's ETS policy as being just a political ploy. We have an Opposition Leader who has in the space of a few months held every possible position on the issue, each one contradicting the position he expressed earlier."

SOURCE: TURNBULL WEBSITE BLOG, 7 DECEMBER 2009

Actually none of them are, just because he is questioning the AGW religion and some of the "science" behind it doesnt make them lies, it simply means he is not accepting everything put forward.
Which when you look at some the exposed manipulation by the IPCC and what is driving the agenda, is a good thing IMHO.

Quoting Crikey, the age, SMH and the ABC is like quoting Bolt against the ALP. Not what i would call an independent source on the matter.

Last edited:
Actually none of them are, just because he is questioning the AGW religion and some of the "science" behind it doesnt make them lies, it simply means he is not accepting every put forward.
Which when you look at some the exposed manipulation by the IPCC and what is driving the agenda, is a good thing IMHO.

Quoting Crikey, the age, SMH and the ABC is like quoting Bolt against the ALP. Not what i would call an independent source on the matter.

Well, try Malcolm:

Malcolm on Tony:

Quote:
Former Opposition Leader Malcolm Turnbull’s comments on Tony Abbott’s position.

Tony himself has, in just four or five months, publicly advocated the blocking of the ETS, the passing of the ETS, the amending of the ETS and, if the amendments were satisfactory, passing it, and now the blocking of it.”

“We have an Opposition whose current leadership dismisses the Howard Government's ETS policy as being just a political ploy. We have an Opposition Leader who has in the space of a few months held every possible position on the issue, each one contradicting the position he expressed earlier."

SOURCE: TURNBULL WEBSITE BLOG, 7 DECEMBER 2009

All of them are. Dont you remember when Tony ws caught out lying last year and he admitted he lies. Its similar to John Howard's "core promises' rant as a viable excuse for breaking a promise.

The media list you mentioned are pretty balanced compared to the mad right wing media and shock jocks. They only seem left wing cause they dont support the Libs, in reality they are unbiased.

And a mile more impartial than quoting a website designed solely against a CT/Gillard.

Actually none of them are, just because he is questioning the AGW religion and some of the "science" behind it doesnt make them lies, it simply means he is not accepting every put forward.

Malcolm Turnbull being ex Leader of Opposition, (Liberal Party). A current member of the Liberal Party. I'm a bit surprised you guys didn't see or hear any of all this, Tony was pretty outspoken about his dithering.

I think this (below) is the Liberals classic ploy of having no real policy but trying to read the electorate to stay (or get) in power.

The Liberals are - how you say - policy bankrupt and pretty much always have been.

They dont have a valid alternative policy to anything Labor puts up so they continue with the negative put downs, lies, propaganda, false information etc etc..and their followers unthinkingly lap it up and follow blindly like sheep....or penguins.

"Former Opposition Leader Malcolm Turnbull’s comments on Tony Abbott’s position.

“Tony himself has, in just four or five months, publicly advocated the blocking of the ETS, the passing of the ETS, the amending of the ETS and, if the amendments were satisfactory, passing it, and now the blocking of it.”

I'm not sure if this is funny or just bizarre. This guy is not fit to tie Paul Keating's shoe laces.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amUNEsSdy_g

Tony Abbott trying to mind control channel 7 news reader to dissapear....... After being asked a tough question by channel 7 newsreader oposition leader Tony Abbott tries to use the power of his mind in an attempt to embed his message into the newsreaders mind.... This must be done in utter silence and constant nodding in order achieve mind control.... according to Tony Abbot:

All of them are. Dont you remember when Tony ws caught out lying last year and he admitted he lies. Its similar to John Howard's "core promises' rant as a viable excuse for breaking a promise.

The media list you mentioned are pretty balanced compared to the mad right wing media and shock jocks. They only seem left wing cause they dont support the Libs, in reality they are unbiased.

And a mile more impartial than quoting a website designed solely against a CT/Gillard.

In your reality you may think they are unbiased because it suits YOUR politics. They are every bit as one sided as Bolt is on the other.

That's on par with the moon landing and 911 conspiracy theories... nice one! Was that a uni project or something?

lol i thought it was gold - i mean, i've done presentations on camera before for "news" on social media and it's all pretty much "what do you want us to say?"...!

just goes to show you gotta be good with your presentation or it just comes across dodge. :rolleyes:

Well, try Malcolm:

There's not a single lie in there. There is flip flopping on his position but there is no lie. BTW, I am still wondering why Turnbull isnt in the Labor party too, suits his politics better and would be a better leader for them than anyone else they currently have. The only reason i believe he supports an ETS is self interest and the money he can see for himself and merchant banking friends in Carbon trading.

You cant be serious, those guys are rabid. A govt agency (ABC) could not be that biased. Even in Labor opposition.

there were a couple of posts earlier in thsi thread from Alan Jones in Sydney where he is feral against Gillar and the CT.

Also, he is under investigation for misleading statements on Climate Chnage and the CT.

Do you think you'd read or hear this stuff on any of the media outlets you mention, i dont think so: If so, can you give me a few examples. Thanks.

What about this brain-dead Sarah Hanson-Young, from the Greens?

— 2GB, The Alan Jones Breakfast Show, 6th July, 2011

On Clover Moore:

Quote:
Clover Moore is the Lord Mayor of Sydney. And Alan Jones would like to...

Alan Jones: Put her in the same chaff bag as Julia Gillard and throw them both out to sea.

— 2GB, The Alan Jones Breakfast Show, 29th June, 2011

Quote:
Alan Jones: ... that fool Windsor wanted broadband, that idiot Wilkie in Tasmania wanted poker machine reform ...

— 2GB, The Alan Jones Breakfast Show, 12th July, 2011

... they've struck a tax which is half of what that fool Garnaut said it should be ...

— 2GB, The Alan Jones Breakfast Show, 11th July, 2011

Th guy is incapable of expressing a point without name calling and abusing people. He claims he never 'gets personal':

Quote:
'Tony': The Australian taxpayer even pays for the toilet paper she uses.
Does she go down to the chemist to buy her tampons? Or is the Australian taxpayer paying for those as well? ...
In my opinion Julia Gillard is a piece of crap ...

Alan Jones: Ok, well you made a lot of valid points there. We've just got to avoid in our criticism the personal. We stick to the policy; we never deal with the personal.

— 2GB, The Alan Jones Breakfast Show, 28th February, 2011

The comments he likes people to send in:

Quote:
Breakfast host Alan Jones likes to air his listeners' factual opinions about Julia Gillard too. Like this email from 'Colin'...

Alan Jones: Another one says "please, please don't have that lying ***** on your program again, I had to move the dial to another station. I guess it was worth the once to show us all what a beep lying, beep backstabbing, beep treacherous, beep beep she is."
Thanks Colin.

— 2GB, The Alan Jones Breakfast Show, 28th February, 2011

They are every bit as one sided as Bolt is on the other.

Back