Carbon tax impact on economy

isn't the outcry that they haven't spent the money? (apart from the blatant waste a couple of years ago)

Nope. Not in the short term.

Like pigs in s**t we are happy rolling around in a surplus and getting some nice tax cuts.

Until someone actually thinks about where the money from these tax cuts is coming from and the lack of spending in the future of this country.

Look at the amount of R&D jobs that are going off shore because successive governments no longer invest in innovation. They just do short term, bandaid solutions and hope that it is forgotten about come the next election.

Nope. Not in the short term.

Like pigs in s**t we are happy rolling around in a surplus and getting some nice tax cuts.

Until someone actually thinks about where the money from these tax cuts is coming from and the lack of spending in the future of this country.

Look at the amount of R&D jobs that are going off shore because successive governments no longer invest in innovation. They just do short term, bandaid solutions and hope that it is forgotten about come the next election.

ok I think most people on here tho are opposite to that - they would like to see the surplus spent (on something worthwhile) and even go to defecit. Can't say I have seen any tax cuts - business was certainly robbed of it and that's what generates wealth in this country

I went to a strata meeting for one of the apartments I own as an investment. It has 40 apartments in the complex over 3 levels so has quite a large carpark & common area on the ground level & the walk ways. As the electricity retailers know that strata managers prepare budgets in advance, they had sent out a suggested increase in electricity prices to the strata managers. Our current usage for the group is $10,000, they suggested an increase to $12,000, up $2,000 or 20%. Then the gas company has sent a letter to our strata manager also suggesting a potential 20% increases in their prices which need to be budgeted for.

Guess who's tenant is going to get a huge increase in their rent this year.

My block is quite similar to this. Our electricity costs used to be about $10k/year, then the ExCo went and replaced all lights with LED ones. This year our electricity costs were $6k and strata fees went down by the difference. Don't be put off by the cost of the bulbs, you recoup that in a matter of months.

My $100 quarterly bill says ~260kg of CO2 is produced to create the electricity I use. @$23/tonne I think my carbon tax bill will be about 8c/day. Including gas for hot water and it might sneak up to 13c/day.

I can't understand what all the fuss is about :eek:. But thats just me. I guess some prefer to turn the heating up to 26 degrees instead of putting a jumper and socks on.

My block is quite similar to this. Our electricity costs used to be about $10k/year, then the ExCo went and replaced all lights with LED ones. This year our electricity costs were $6k and strata fees went down by the difference. Don't be put off by the cost of the bulbs, you recoup that in a matter of months.

My $100 quarterly bill says ~260kg of CO2 is produced to create the electricity I use. @$23/tonne I think my carbon tax bill will be about 8c/day. Including gas for hot water and it might sneak up to 13c/day.

I can't understand what all the fuss is about :eek:. But thats just me. I guess some prefer to turn the heating up to 26 degrees instead of putting a jumper and socks on.

Haha, yeah I hear ya on the last point.

Nice going. I'm getting up to close on double that, but I do work from home a fair bit.

I don't understand how some people actually use the amount that they do.

I was speaking with an employee of mine. 2 people only, living in a 2 bedroom house. $1400 per quarter.

She looked aghast when, after listenting to her complain about the carbon tax and how much it was going to cost her and how she should get a raise to cover it, I told her to waste less power and the problem would largely go away :D

I've been looking to drop my usage further, just hate opening a bill no matter how small it may be (in comparison to the Western Sydney battlers out there). Unfortunately for me half the cost is the standard fixed daily charge and 2/3 of the usage total is my fridge so I am approaching a bit of a terminal limit.

I am on one of those smart meters.....even running your washing machine after 10pm cuts down substantially on the cost.

Do you need an alarm clock (that is not used for 23h 59min per day)? Use the alarm on your phone. Ditto microwave clock...turn that off too. PC/printer... turn off at powerpoint. etc etc. The $1,400 employee may find she doesn't need that raise after all ;)

In Qld its not heating that's the issue it's cooling especially if your house does not have good breezeways More my family prefers to turn the air con down to 24 deg than the whole lot of them wander around naked :D

Back