Cat urine smell in house.

Hi all,

I have just moved in to a new rental property over the weekend and was horrified to see the condition some PM's will sign off on as clean!! After four 12 + hour days of cleaning up the pet mess and other unmentionables there was still the awful cat urine smell. I have had the carpets professionally cleaned and the smell is mostly gone but it is still slightly there. I can not live with it. I do not have pets I like my home clean and I just can't stand it!

I have used bleach (not on the carpets), febreeze, odour neutrilisers, moisture absorbers, air freasheners a very, very good carpet cleaner...the list goes on. My question is, are there any other handy hints any of you have to get rid of this smell as I am starting to get to the bottom of the barrell with my list of treatments. Usually one or 2 of the above works but.....not this time!!

Any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated and implimented right away!!

The joys of renting and peoples feral cats! Someone who lives around me has a cat that roams freely. It constantly urinates outside our property and beside the front door. We accidently left a door open a couple of weeks ago and it came inside the house and urinated on my washing basket and lounge. I tried what you tried plus wool wash plus left it out in the sun for a few days. I think they excrete some type of oil 'cause i can see where it sprayed on a window and the drips are still there. It's so disguisting!! I'm not sure if you can remove it 100% but I've found the more it is 'wet' the stronger it smells.

A few years ago I left my windows down in my car and a cat urinated on the carpets. I took the carpets out and cleaned them etc and after a few weeks the smell went. Years later I had the carpets in the car steam cleaned and the cat urine smell came back again until it dried completely.

A few cats keep coming back to the property and hanging around. I have taken to calling council as soon as it gets to 5pm because then it is breaking the local laws to have their cats out. I'll teach them to have feral pets and children!! It will certainly cost them quite a bit if they don't learn quickly. (nothing against children, I have a 4 year old but he is clean & behaved!)

I'll try some extra moisture absorbers as well then, I'm hoping that with the cats no longer around to piddle it will go away.

And people worry that dogs are destructive!!!

If you do a search this seems to be a common problem. You need to break down the enzymes in the urine and then deal with the odour. i had a small patch of carpet to treat so not sure the best way to tackle a huge area.

If you know the wee site, then spray it thoroughly with vinegar and cover the area to keep it moist overnight. Then wash this off and let dry completely. When dry, cover it with a good layer of bicarb and leave it a few days (if possible). Vacuum it up, air out the room, get down and sniff and if still stinky repeat the process.

Not 100% sure it will work for everyone, but it worked for me :)

Sounds excellent except for the 'get down and sniff' step!! Will try though. I'm hoping it is only a small patch that is still on the nose.........really, really hoping...

Hi all,

I have just moved in to a new rental property over the weekend and was horrified to see the condition some PM's will sign off on as clean!!

Ring PM and inform him of cat urine smell and request it is neutralised ASAP (this week) otherwise you will cop the blame later on IMHO.

Regards
Sheryn

I've had the PM around and all is marked on condition report. Have already made various improvements to the property (with LL's permission) at my expense. I think they will find if they try to place the blame on me they will have quite a fight on their hands.

Propertunity - Excellent plan and by far my favourite. Although the effects are temporary and I may find that when the odour returns the next morning it will be even more stomach churning that I originally found it!

I bought a product called Urine Stop which (I think) was recommended by Perp.

When we moved furniture around we found bedroom carpets (particularly one room) that our dog had piddled on years ago when he was a puppy. The product didn't work on the old stains, but now he is old, he is piddling inside at night because he is almost blind, and cannot see to go out his doggy door to wee through the night in the dark.

He is not hurting our polished floors, but the older part of our house has floorboards with gaps that the urine can sink into and each morning I play "where did he piddle last night?". If it is on the floorboards with a gap, I spray the product into the gap to neutralise any smell that could develop.

I also spray it on the floor around our toilet because I swear that my sons pee with their eyes closed and the urine soaks into the grout :eek:. The product gets rid of that "public toilet" smell.

I don't know whether I should put the men of the house outside at night?

I have bought some "Wee Wee training" pads but our dog seems to not understand what they are for, even with me trying my best to demonstrate :)

Thats Brilliant Wylie Thanks! Though I do share Propertunity's concern regarding the demonstration!

I would definately put the men out at night or draw a target in the toilet :).

Wylie, yes we do want to know, and post on Utube would be OK. I recall you shared another story that we wanted to see the video of. Get all the videos together, and invite us all to your next "significant" birthday event to view .... what do you think ? Gotta be a big yes.

This happened to us a couple of years ago. It was absolutely revolting and we too steam cleaned and enzyme treated the carpets. Completely ineffective.

If you lift the carpet, you will find the underlay is probably soaked with urine. This is untreatable. You have to rip it all up and toss it.

This happened to us a couple of years ago. It was absolutely revolting and we too steam cleaned and enzyme treated the carpets. Completely ineffective.

If you lift the carpet, you will find the underlay is probably soaked with urine. This is untreatable. You have to rip it all up and toss it.
I am really hoping it doesn't come to ripping up the underlay (we are only renting)! With an update on attempts I have now tried (in addition to my original post)
- Bicarb soda
- Lavender oil (my grandmothers suggestion....I'm sure it is now worse)

I'm going for the vinegar mix over the weekend, followed by the wine :D , I have also ordered some UrineFree off the internet AND we are re-painting the house.

If NONE of that works, I'll be wondering why cat urine isn't explored for it's potential uses in chemical warfare......

lol!!! My mum suggested vinegar to me too but i wasn't game to use it on the microsuede lounge. I can't smell the cat urine on our lounge any more and really think once it's 100% dry you won't smell it.

Back