Cat urine smell in house.

I've used Urine-Off with fantastic results on one of our first investments.

I'd tried everything and was almost ready to get the circular saw and cut the whole hallway out and replace. It was actually covered in Dog crap - no.2's (about 1/2in thick) and the urine. Scraped it all up, mopped etc and nothing worked for 2 weeks.

After using the Urine-Off, I was able to get my nose right on the bare floorboards and couldn't smell a thing. It takes a few applications though to get all the urine salts back up to the surface to get rid of......and it ain't cheap. Not sure about how it works on carpets though.

Last edited:
I've used Urine-Off with fantastic results on one of our first investments.

I'd tried everything and was almost ready to get the circular saw and cut the whole hallway out and replace. It was actually covered in Dog crap - no.2's (about 1/2in thick) and the urine. Scraped it all up, mopped etc and nothing worked for 2 weeks.

After using the Urine-Off, I was able to get my nose right on the bare floorboards and couldn't smell a thing. It takes a few applications though to get all the urine salts back up to the surface to get rid of......and it ain't cheap. Not sure about how it works on carpets though.
I've put in an order for it and you're right... not cheap but worth every penny if it works! Hopefully it will... Fingers crossed I will have to let you all know how it went.

Cat Wee

Try a mixture of Biozet washing powder in hot water, wash it into the carpet and then pat dry off. Then but bicarb soda down and leave it to dry it will take a while but it lifts most of the odour - thats what I do to my rugs as I have one persistent pee'er in my household (I'm a multicat household). Bleach will only set the smell so I'd say that you've set it by now and what you may not smell a dog or cat will. If you go the Urine Off product you have to massage it into the carpet as well and leave to dry.

Biozet - thats a new one! By the time I am finished scrubbing I will have the cleanest carpets in all the land!!!

I've put in an order for it and you're right... not cheap but worth every penny if it works! Hopefully it will... Fingers crossed I will have to let you all know how it went.
Good luck with it. Not sure how it'll work on carpets, but certainly did the job on bare floorboards ;)

BTW ......that IP I mentioned went for almost land price at the auctions a few years back - I think mainly due to the stink & dog crap up the hallway. Not many were game to take it on I think. Worked out well for me. :D

Reactions: Sez
have you told the REA?
If I were the owner I'd be concerned about you trying a huge array of chemicals and mixtures to clean the carpet. You may well damage the carpet, and then you would end up being responsible for it.
If I were you, I'd refer it back to the REA and let the owner find a solution that works.

have you told the REA?
If I were the owner I'd be concerned about you trying a huge array of chemicals and mixtures to clean the carpet. You may well damage the carpet, and then you would end up being responsible for it.
If I were you, I'd refer it back to the REA and let the owner find a solution that works.
Owner is overseas and happy for me to try suggested remedies as the carpet is approx. 15 years old. I've not used the bleach on the carpet (just thought I needed to clarify the point) only on the tiles etc. and after a small spot test, and being a PM I have some great carpet cleaning trades I can discuss remedies with prior to using them to ensure nothing goes wrong. If I left it to my PM and the owner nothing would happen very quickly and I would still have to live in the property smelling the way it does. :(

Have you checked if the underlay is dry underneath? Because in my experience, treating the carpet on top is never going to work if the underlay is soaked underneath.

Surprisingly the carpet itself seems to be a little worse. I plan on treating the underlay with the urine free then once dry putting the carpet back down and treating the carpet too.....I will go to amazing lengths to get rid of this stench!!

Not intending to crash your thread but there seems to be a few cat pee experts here and need some PM advice also. When I inspected this house I'm renting I could smell pee in the yard. Found out later this property was vacant for years so I assume a cat thinks this is his turf. It sprays outside constantly and I had discovered it had come inside and peed on clothes basket, lounge, and I just realised the curtain as well about a month ago. I guess I'm responsible if it's permanently damaged? Maybe I should trying sponging it off with powdered washing detergent. Unfortunately got down and smelt it and it's definately pee. Moving in one week!!

Attachments

• DSCN2119.jpg
    DSCN2119.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 67
I can help you with the PM advice Investor - they are going to try to hold you responsible. Do you have any pets? write a kind and long letter to your PM letting them know that a stray cat has claimed the yard as it's personal litter tray and recently came into the house staining not only the curtain but your clean washing. Definately try using the Urine Free stuff, I ordered it online and you can buy the uv light through them too (my next purchase), only my first application but so far so good!!!

You can see cat urime with a black light, get one from Bunnings? Or Ebay? Inspect the house and look for glowing marks which are cat urine - hard to shift the smell, it gets right into most surfaces. It even corrodes colorbond!

A couple of good links:

http://petnblog.preciouspets.org/?p=109

This one shows what new and old urine stains look like under blacklight.

http://www.wikihow.com/Find-Cat-Urine-With-a-UV-Light
Thanks Melissa, where it often urinates on a floor length aluminium window it is all corrided and white. Hopefully i don't get the blame.

I can help you with the PM advice Investor - they are going to try to hold you responsible. Do you have any pets? write a kind and long letter to your PM letting them know that a stray cat has claimed the yard as it's personal litter tray and recently came into the house staining not only the curtain but your clean washing. Definately try using the Urine Free stuff, I ordered it online and you can buy the uv light through them too (my next purchase), only my first application but so far so good!!!
As you and Melissa have suggested it may be worth investing in the light. Especially considering the next house I'm moving into has had an indoor cat.
I decided to hand wash the curtains with wool wash considering it got the smell out of my lounge and the curtains washing instructions suggested wool wash. Thankfully it looks like it's 100% off and I can't smell anything but Eucalyptus smell.
I have a small dog. The situation was getting worse after we took the dog away with us for a camping trip for a few days. After that it was eating my dogs food, sleeping on it's bedding and my outdoor furniture. I got rid of all of my outdoor furniture and the dogs bedding apart from one bed that is a dog transport cage. I've started to get my dog to eat it's food as I serve it. The cat disappeared for a couple of weeks. Today the yard stinks out the back, I put a TV out the front I was going to donate and it's been urinated on and dripped onto the speakers. I've been taking photo's just in case it might be evidence later. Hopefully my girl dog won't get the blame!

Back