CBA Credit policy changes 90% LVR for purchases + 5% genuine savings

That is one reason.....the other being is that they can't cope with the business demand and don't want to get in the press about non-delivery as they have recently spent a lot harping on about improved service. Just recently they were forced offer someone who waw Twittering about them not approving a loan.

They can afford to be selective on who they extend credit to.

But is CBA doing this because they expect a correction in prices and want to reduce the risk of owners having negative equity?

I continue to believe that this whole process is a VERY GOOD THING, both for those that are shareholders in the big 4 banks (yes that includes me, those 12%+ gross dividends even after accounting for a 25-30% reduction in dividends was just too juicy to miss especially now that they are offering their term deposit holders 2-4% interest:D) AND for those that hold residential property as an investment mechanism.
Are you looking to flip property or investment in residential property as a long term means of creating wealth. If you are in for the long haul, you dont want a bunch of new commers entering with minimal equity, only to start screaming later that they were 'duped' into it and didnt understand the risk (read: Storm financial, read: Opes Prime)

I was just on the fone to a mate, and said this could be a negative for the market however me being the optimist ends up saying this.

Geez, this may be good for us, FHB usually have a small amount say 10k saved.... therefore $10k is 5% of 200k house/unit, and their FHOG will cover the other 5% + expenses... so the bottom end of the market should get fizzing as more of them look @ more affordable property.

Even better for me.

Next thing they could do to make it better for me is doing a Investors grant where you get $14k for buying an IP;) (i can only wish for the last 1, however i think the first point i make will be reality) kinda lost a little buyers remorse from my last few...
lol

Hi Nathan,

Isn't the bottom end of the market the market that IS fizzing? How much more bottom can you get at 200k...especially in Sydney?

Regards JO

CBA have just announced a further tightening to their lending policy.... :(

Unless a client has 6 months of existing good credit history with CBA they are restricting refi's and purchases to 90% LVR.

And from today a minimum of 5% genuine savings is now required.....for loans over 85% LVR

Credit policy changes as from Monday 30 March 2009

Due to the increasingly volatile economic climate and rising unemployment levels the Bank is taking further steps to ensure it continues lending responsibly to customers. In particular, we are ensuring customers who are entering into more highly geared borrowings have an established relationship with Commonwealth Bank and a demonstrated savings pattern over time.

Following the changes announced in Update 27/2/09, new criteria is being introduced. As from Monday 30 March 2009, the Bank is making the following additional policy changes:

Maximum LVR of 90%, excluding LMI, regardless of the purpose, for all customers who do not have current credit facilities with Commonwealth Bank.
Mandatory 5% genuine savings for new borrowers where the LVR is > 85%.

Maximum Lending Margins
The maximum LVR for all customers applying for a Home Loan, Investment Home Loan and/or VLOC, regardless of the purpose, will now be 90%, excluding LMI, unless they have 'current credit facilities' with Commonwealth Bank.

A 'current credit facility' is defined as an existing consumer lending product (i.e. Home Loan, Investment Home Loan, Line of Credit, Personal Loan or Credit card) which has been funded for at least 6 months with no arrears or missed payments. Closed accounts are ineligible.

Customers cannot borrow above the maximum LVR of 90% if:

They do not have a current consumer lending facility (i.e. Home Loan, Investment Home Loan, Line of Credit, Personal Loan or Credit Card) OR
They have a current consumer lending facility that has been funded for less than 6 months OR
They are refinancing OFI debts (refer Update 27 February 2009)

Customers that do not have "current credit facilities" should be encouraged to reduce their LVR to < 90%.

Note: Existing customers will still be eligible for a base LVR of up to 95%, but only where they have a strong credit history with the CBA.

Genuine Savings
As from Monday 30 March 2009, customers will be required to contribute a minimum 5% (increased from 3% refer Update 27 February 2009) of the purchase price in the form of genuine savings (or equity) towards the proposed purchase/transaction.

The genuine savings will need to be verified and may comprise of any of the following:

A demonstrated saving pattern established over a 3-month period
Gift – must be held in an account for a minimum of 3 months
Term deposit – must have been held for a minimum of 3 months
Cash – acceptable only if placed in an account for a minimum of 3 months
Shares – must have been held for a minimum of 3 months
Equity in existing property

Exclusions:

First Home Owners Grant (FHOG)
Additional borrowed funds i.e. personal loan
Proposed sale of an asset (other than property) i.e. sale of car

This requirement relates to all applications involving new borrowers where the LVR is > 85%. A new borrower is defined as one who does not currently hold an existing secured Home Loan credit facility with the Commonwealth Bank (Home Loan, Investment Home Loan or Line of Credit).

Shock horror...the way things are heading, this will mean that before long people will actually have to come up with a 20% deposit and an 80% loan...like in the bad old days.

Next thing you know the Banks will also put a ceiling on people's loan repayments (including credit cards, car loans etc) at only 35% of their total income.

Oh my god; what is the world coming to?

Hehe....
bottom end is around this however i think the extreme boundaries of sydney will rise aswell as people look further in desperation, plus all those little boxy units which were seen around 130-180k in recent years will vanish...

Just my thought... but those desperate enough will end up buying whatever when they get exhausted.

Hi Nathan,

Isn't the bottom end of the market the market that IS fizzing? How much more bottom can you get at 200k...especially in Sydney?

Regards JO

I just had my MB come around last night to go over our CBA loan docs for our PPOR. The FIRST THING she said once she had walked through the door was:
"You two are bloody lucky!! CBA just tightened their lending to max 90% LVR!!"

I'm pretty shocked, i wouldnt have expected such a big drop down in max LVR (down from 97%). She also mentioned that most of the other big banks have done the same or similar - none of the big banks offer loans above 90% LVR anymore.
I didnt listen to the finer details of each bank much.... i was just so happy that we got ours through in time.

She did mentioned that CBA will still offer existing customers (especially those on the wealth package) 95% loans... which is good news for me as im looking to revalue my Colyton IP in 2 months, i rekon there is about $40K equity to pull out.

I feel for all you MBs at the moment - there are so many policy changes from the banks at the moment, how do you guys keep up with them all??

Get used to it....because I think the days of easy credit are going out the window in the short term.

In the UK ....they won't look at you with less than 15% deposit if you are good credit risk!

This will not be good for the economy either!

Shock horror...the way things are heading, this will mean that before long people will actually have to come up with a 20% deposit and an 80% loan...like in the bad old days.

Next thing you know the Banks will also put a ceiling on people's loan repayments (including credit cards, car loans etc) at only 35% of their total income.

Oh my god; what is the world coming to?

CBA can go jump.

Macquarie have had their own lending criteria for ages.

if CBAs risk profile has changed then so be it.

if it affects you, go talk to the manager down at the BOQ or Bendigo.

HI Blue Card. Have just stumbled upon local BOQ they seem better than CBA. I'm down to CBA or them I think. I have a Wizard loan that has now become CBA and I would like to go down to CBA and try some hardball

Good point.

Hehe....
bottom end is around this however i think the extreme boundaries of sydney will rise aswell as people look further in desperation, plus all those little boxy units which were seen around 130-180k in recent years will vanish...

Just my thought... but those desperate enough will end up buying whatever when they get exhausted.

Hi, Nathan

Good point. Made good sense to me as I was reading the postings. If credit gets tightening, then FHBs will have difficulty buying in the house / unit segments in the inner or middle rings of Melbourne. So, they either:

1 - Downgrade to something smaller in the same area, like an apartment;

2 - or move further outwards to where they can get a house / unit at the price they want.

Which could lead the next segments of the RE market to bubble to be in the well-located apartments in the inner / middle suburb or the general outer suburbs.

Regards
Daniel Lee

Hi, Nathan

Good point. Made good sense to me as I was reading the postings. If credit gets tightening, then FHBs will have difficulty buying in the house / unit segments in the inner or middle rings of Melbourne. So, they either:

1 - Downgrade to something smaller in the same area, like an apartment;

2 - or move further outwards to where they can get a house / unit at the price they want.

Which could lead the next segments of the RE market to bubble to be in the well-located apartments in the inner / middle suburb or the general outer suburbs.

Regards
Daniel Lee

I was thinking about this too Daniel.

If this transpired, does that mean that FHB's and others may have to settle for little 3 br chamfer places that are in the bottom 20% pricewise.
Like you say, little crappy middle ring flats, or outer ring boxes on 600 sm.

In my regional city at the moment FHBs are still able to buy a place just a bit pricier than the cheapest crud. Maybe this will change.

Maybe I should start buying cheapies and doing quick renos?!?:p

I bet there will be plenty who think these places are not 'good enough' for them as they expect to start out with a nice place like the homes their parents have after working a hundred years! They might decide to just stay at home instead and continue buying crapola.

Back