Ceiling Water Damage Below Shower

Hey Guys,

Well, with great disappointment my water problems with our ensuite shower are back! Water is seeping onto the ceiling below again!

Obviously the leak wasn't found the first time.

My question is, should I call another plumber or get somebody like these guys to come and "find" the leak.

http://www.australianleakdetection.com

HELP!

Was this a renovated ensuite? What has been done so far to find the leak? Is it a tiled shower or pre fab base?

Brian

Was this a renovated ensuite? What has been done so far to find the leak? Is it a tiled shower or pre fab base?

Brian

Hi Brian,

Thanks for your reply. This was not a renovated ensuite. The property is only (3) years old. The shower has a tiled base and is not pre fab.

From what I understand, the last time they tried to find the leak (prior to our ownership), they punched a hole in the plaster of the second bedroom ceiling below. Obviously, whatever they found in there wasn't the root of the problem.

I had a plumber come out and give me their opinion. From what he told me the trench drain is defective and has come away from the wall, hence the water leaking down into the second bedroom below. He could seal it but said that the problem will reoccur sometime down the future.

The way to fix would be to completely reinstall the drain. Which means fabricating a new drain, reinstall and retiling. Apparently trench drains usually have lips on them to stop this type of thing, ours didn't!

I understand that defects like this should be dealt with by the builder given the (10) year warranty and in accordance with the Standard & Tolerances Guide? I'm waiting on a written report from the plumber + the quote to repair so I can provide to the builder for action. Maybe I should engage a proper building inspector to help me through the process?

I've attached some pictures. :(

Attachments

• IMG_6804.jpg
    IMG_6804.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_6805.jpg
    IMG_6805.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_6811.jpg
    IMG_6811.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 123
Have you contacted the builder and if so what was his reply?. Not sure in Vic but in Qld the home warranty period is 6 years. Either way its well within the warranty period.

I would put a letter to the builder stating the problem and also the plumbers report and estimate to rectify. If this fails to secure some action I would contact your governing body for builders licenses and lodge a complaint. Keep records of emails, letters and phone conversations with builder.

They should instruct the builder to fix the problem and if he fails to do so will have to show cause and risk demerit points placed on his record and once he reaches in Qld 30 points he will have his license revoked. He will still be liable for costs.

That aside. Some wall tiles will have to be removed and floor tiles, depending on how it was installed as to the next course of action, I will be suprised that the leak is not caused by capillary action.

Of course it will need to be waterproofed again.

Good luck

Brian

I will be suprised that the leak is not caused by capillary action.

Of course it will need to be waterproofed again.

Good luck

Brian

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the reply, I will be sending our concerns to the builder in writing this week pending receipt of the plumbers report. At this stage, we have only had verbal discussions with the Builder whom passed the details of the plumber for us to chaise up. I don't feel this is acceptable as he was the principal contractor and it should be their responsibility to organise repair.

BTW, are they also liable to repair the resultant damage to the plaster/paint below?

Can you please explain to me what you mean by 'capillary action'?

Also, will the entire bathroom need to be waterproof again or just the tiles/areas they will be rectifying?

Thanks again and I'll let you know the outcome.

You need a proper report by a builder (similar to what they would supply an insurance company with) to explain what has happend, what the consequences are and what needs to be done and a quote. This report should be supplied to the original builder in writing (registered post) with the option that he either fixes it himself or that he agrees that you get someone else to fix it with him footing the bill.

Wishing you every success, Ana

Hey Guys,

Well, with great disappointment my water problems with our ensuite shower are back! Water is seeping onto the ceiling below again!

Obviously the leak wasn't found the first time.

My question is, should I call another plumber or get somebody like these guys to come and "find" the leak.

http://www.australianleakdetection.com

HELP!
This is only my opinion but the problem will be in the trench drain my guess is it was never set right in the first place,this could be a total rip out and reset$$$$,plus walls and water proff,if you look at the way the tiles are set something just does not look right with this wall, does this only happens when the shower is on or is there a leak all the time but i think you will find it's in the drain is your water bill normal or on the high side?,as with all the legal side and who pays who then that wil be another problem..good luck willair..imho..
btw way there is a very low cost simple way to fix this and it may work
just make a mix of cement and pump it into the gap between the floor and the drain and let it cure for several days but if this is a renter then that may not be possible,just looking at the cost factor and the bung fight
you will go through between the builder-insurance-plumber-but unless i can see what below it's very hard..imho..

You need a proper report by a builder (similar to what they would supply an insurance company with) to explain what has happend, what the consequences are and what needs to be done and a quote. This report should be supplied to the original builder in writing (registered post) with the option that he either fixes it himself or that he agrees that you get someone else to fix it with him footing the bill.

Wishing you every success, Ana

Hi Ana,

Would a report from the inspecting Plumber suffice or do I need to enage a qualified building inspector?

this is only my opinionn - but is based on personal experience and discussions with various tilers.

a tiled floor shower should NEVER be install on anything except a concrete base. any movement (no matter how minute) caused by hot water hitting cold floor, or just normal house settling, will cause the grout between the tiles to form hairline cracks. these cracks will leak - end of story. they are near impossible to seal off and are impossible to prevent.

by the time the leaking has reached the lower ceiling, there is a good chance any timber (flooring or beams) beneath the shower has begun to rot.

personally, i'd rip it out and put in a sealed base.

Back