Centrepay

I'm not sure how relevant this will be unless you are a self-managing landlord or a property manager yourself, but here's my experience with centrepay.

Centrepay is this thing where you get your Centerlink pension or family tax allowance docked each pay for bills/rent/court fines etc, so only relevant if you have tenants on a pension or benefit. Turns out anyone can sign up to be on the receiving end of Centrepay. Costs 99c per payment.

All the forms are on Centrelink's website, buried in the bowels of the menu on the left under the 'business' section. You have to fill out a nice long form and fax it back. They say you get a 'welcome pack' of brochures, forms etc when you've been approved.

What you *really* get, after a week long wait after the fax, is a 1 page letter with your Centrepay reference on it, no brochures, and ONE application form (I have two tenants, had to photocopy the damn thing).

They take about 3 days to process the form the payer fills in.

Once you're signed up you can just ring them with no waiting times and no condescending staff (nothing like ringing Centrelink) and they tell you the status of everything. Just need your number and your tenant's CRNs helps if you want to know if their payment has been set up right.

So overall, slow but very painless, which was nice.

I was told that the tenant could just cancel their Centrepay deductions anytime... Is this correct?

I have a property which will be vacant in 10 days and I had an enquiry from a prospective tenant whose sole income is from Centrelink.

Cheers,
dreamgirl

Yes the tenant can cancel at any time but I found with Centrepay I was getting a regular rental payment as prior to that the tenant always found excuses not to pay.

If possible I try to put my tenants on Centrepay, I did it for one I self managed and I am about to do it again with a property that is managed by an agent for me. Then we know the rent is going to be on time and especially arouond public holidays it is often early

I wouldn't knock a tenant back if this is the method of payment they want to use

Jacaranda

I like Centrepay, and I have 5 tenants who pay by that method.

Yes - they can cancel it, but then I would know that if I don't receive a payment, that they have made the effort to cancel it (and not a bank error, internet down, broken leg, or any other excuse they come up with).

I also find that they forget about it and it just continues in the background - and that's how the system is designed.

I insist on it for one boarding house where the owner has a knack for putting in undesirables.

Centerpay

Hiya

I have one tenant on centrepay and i get charged 0.99 as a landlord for this service; well worth the money ::)) as rents are always on time

how about you guys? do you get charged the same amount?

Centrelink

Hiya

I have new tenants for a house; mother on disability and older daughter is her carer...not sure what's wrong with her (nothing physical that i can see but...)

Guess what..their net income/pension is 1100 per week...and mum is "only" 47...that's a long time centrelink is going to support them..or is there something i don't know?

BTW Younger daughter is also on youth allowance? so the whole family is on Centrelink..

So, yeh...you can say Centrelink is the country's largest "employer":eek: or is it my husband, the taxpayer who is??:eek:

I have new tenants for a house; mother on disability and older daughter is her carer...not sure what's wrong with her (nothing physical that i can see but...)

Guess what..their net income/pension is 1100 per week...and mum is "only" 47...that's a long time centrelink is going to support them..or is there something i don't know?

It is quite common to be on a disability pension these days. Cynically, it removes people from the 'unemployed' list to artificially lower the unemployment rate while simultaneously increasing the long-term unemployed and those on the welfare train. Disgusting.

Disability

Hiya

Wow! sounds like a lottery eh?

So can a migraine attack every 6 weeks that renders me incapacitated be termed "disability" and hence enable me to get a "part time" disability pension? :D

So who determines "disability"? my friendly GP?:eek:

Also will i get audited yearly after my eligibility is passed to ensure i am still "disable" ?

Disability

Problem is once you have given it away, it is very difficult to cancel this scheme...political suicide:eek: which party wants to touch this hot potato?

maybe they should consider having these types of programs expire after a certain time period, with at least 1-2 yrs to decide if it was worth it before it can be implemented again, or made with revisions

Hiya

Wow! sounds like a lottery eh?

So can a migraine attack every 6 weeks that renders me incapacitated be termed "disability" and hence enable me to get a "part time" disability pension? :D

So who determines "disability"? my friendly GP?:eek:

Also will i get audited yearly after my eligibility is passed to ensure i am still "disable" ?

Centrelink will refer you to their doctors for appraisal. They use a points system to determine eligibility..

This pension is the holy grail of Centrelink benefits because Centrelink basically leaves you alone, ie no job search, no work for the dole. You can park your car easier lol.

A lot of people get peeved off because they have a "disability" but are declined this pension. Yet others who appear OK , get the pension.

Former PM John Howard talked about slashing the amount of people on this pension but copped a slagging from various groups.

I don't think this pension is audited annually. If you have a temporary condition you go on sickness benefits and that is reviewed every 6 or 12 weeks.

Centrelink will refer you to their doctors for appraisal. They use a points system to determine eligibility..

This pension is the holy grail of Centrelink benefits because Centrelink basically leaves you alone, ie no job search, no work for the dole. You can park your car easier lol.

A lot of people get peeved off because they have a "disability" but are declined this pension. Yet others who appear OK , get the pension.

Disabled car parking permits have nothing to do with disability pension. They are issued by council, not centrelink and have completely different requirements.

I wouldn't call it a 'holy grail'. You know you actually have to have a disability, right? That is no walk in the park.

I'd much prefer to be able bodied and work for my money (which I do, when I can)

You also can't tell what is wrong with a person just by looking at them so while they might 'appear' ok (to you, with all of your fancy medical qualifications that allow you to make a diagnosis by sight), does not mean they are.

The attitude by some towards people less fortunate disgusts me.

The attitude by some towards people less fortunate disgusts me.

No one is saying ALL people on pensions are rorting or dont deserve.

I personally know many people who are on permanent disability pensions and they also work part time for cash and dont declare it.

One person in particular faked the injury as having happened at work but we all know and this person has admitted it did in fact happen on a big night out on the grog and fell over and hurt his neck in the gutter.

Another on disability pension with bad back but drives a taxi on weekends.

I have a bad back and cant drive anly longer than 1-2 hrs before having to have a rest and I certainly aint going to apply for a pension, yet when my back is bad I cant work. Self employed so I dont count.

It disgusts me the attitude towards people who complain ligitimately about scammers rorting the system.:mad:

Back