Changes for Landlords? RTA Review

HI there
for those of you with QLD properties you may be aware that the Residential Tenancies Authority is about to amend the Act to include:

• tenants to have new rights to challenge rent rises
  • landlords to have limited inspection times
  • some tenants will be able to terminate the lease if the property goes up for sale

If you want to have your voice heard - submissions close on 22 June 2007 - see the link for more info

http://www.rta.qld.gov.au/whats_new.cfm?item=243.00

Also if anyone is interested in a breakfast talk by the general manager of the RTA on 20/6/07 at the Brisbane Convention Centre - I have an invite for 2 that I can't use. If you would like to have a free breakfast whilst listening to a talk on the proposed changes - please contact me and I will pass on the details.
thanks

very interesting reading...thanks mate!!

i don't think it will change that much...a quick read indicates that most of the controls currently there remain in place in one form or another - mostly they're just clarified, sometimes tightened etc...the only one of any real note for landlords/agents is the rental increase challenge, but that appears to get swept away too as long as you can prove that the increase is not excessive compared to the marketplace.

The one that is going to cause headaches tenancy wise is the water charges section...be interesting to see what happens there!!!

cheers
UC

Back